Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tips for Box Storage... #21866 10/21/99 05:33 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Any tips for box storage? I store the older boxes that came with the styrofoam peanuts by removing the peanuts and flattening the boxes. The newer boxes with the styrofoam mold are left intact. All the boxes are stored on shelves in my basement.

I was considering putting some of them into plastic bags and storing them in my attic. Has anyone had any luck, good or bad, storing boxes in their attic?

Bob

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21867 10/21/99 05:57 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
For the older/folded up boxes, try purchasing a Rubbermaid or equiv. sealable container to lay them in. Works pretty well, and keeps the moisture, dirt, and bugs out.

I only use the basement. If you use the attic, make sure it is very well ventilated (vents in the soffits below....and pot vents, or continuous ridge vents, or gable end vents above). Unventilated attics are notorious for condensation. Heat plus condensation/humidity will gradually loosen the glue from the layers of the box, and will start to swell and warp them. Especially if you are in a climate where the interior vs. exterior temperature differential is substantial most of the year.

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21868 10/22/99 12:27 AM
Y
youngone Offline
Y
Bob M,
Thanks for this thread. This is one of those questions that I have always wanted to ask but just didn't. I keep mine in the basement on a shelf also but I am afraid of high humididty levels. What do you think?

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21869 10/22/99 02:05 AM
Firstmate Offline
We keep our boxes in the basement - we have a dehumidifyer, which helps a lot with dampness. So far, (3 yrs for some) the boxes have not picked up any musty odor.
Do we have to keep the hard styrofoam packing? We don't have room - the folded boxes take a chunk of space as it is!!

Seattle Sailors

'Bama Boaters
Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21870 10/22/99 12:16 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Have mine in a well ventilated attic, in bigger boxes. But like the idea of the plastic bags.

Rusty

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21871 10/22/99 11:25 PM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
This thread was indeed timely. When our son left for college we started using his bedroom as a storage locker. After he got married and left home we didn't see any reason to move the boxes from their then semi-permanent home. However, since HL has been so prolific in their product offerings in the past few years there is now only a small aisle from the bedroom door to the closet kept open only for emergency traffic. After recognizing that something would have to be done to salvage the room we decided to take action. Our solution was to buy some molded shelving units for the basement (molded plastic was lighter than metal shelving). We then acquired rolls of commercial width (40"-48")clear plastic wrap and several buckets full of small desiccant packages, similar to those you find packaged in with cameras, etc. By throwing a few in each box and a few more inside the wrapping material we're able to package 8 to 16 boxes at a time and be reasonably sure that they'll stay dry. The desiccant packages can, for a little more money, be purchased with a blue silica material inside a translucent bag that changes color as the desiccant absorbs moisture over time. When the blue material turns white you simply open the package, take out the desiccant packs, and put them in an oven or a microwave to dry them out again. Once dry, they can be used again and again. Since the outer wrapping material is clear you can, by orienting the boxes so that the labels all all visible from the outside, always identify the location of each box (something you can't do with large, black garbage bags). We'll probably add a dehumidifier as well as soon as I can buy a tube to pipe the water to the basement drain.

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21872 11/07/99 01:45 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
I stack them in a storage closet with the same hum and temp as the living area. Works well as not too moist or dry . Keep the styro formed packing . The more details the more protection is needed .

Lonnie

Lonnie
Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21873 11/07/99 10:22 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
With my 200+ boxes stored in my finished basement, I'm running out of room. Has anybody ever tried putting the boxes in large trash bags and storing them in a suspende ceiling? The removable 2' by 4' ceiling tiles allow easy access and there is a considerable amount of room up there. The boxes aren't that heavy to cause any problems weight wise. What do you think?

Bob

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21874 11/07/99 12:02 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Bob,

I don't think the Fire Marshall or the Home Owners Policy would like that idea much at all. "Fire Hazard" big time !

Lonnie

Lonnie
Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21875 11/07/99 10:32 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
From a professional standpoint, I don't think it would be any more of a fire hazard than if the boxes were not there. Void spaces like that are inherently dangerous for their ability to foster fire spread uninhibited, unnoticed and unchecked. By adding the boxes up there, it will increase the fire load, but if there is a fire burning in in the void space of your home, this added load is the least of your worries.

If you do store something like this in the void of a suspended ceiling, make sure that you do not place them on top of any electrical boxes, wiring, or recessed lighting. Remember, use common sense

Your professional firefighter/wacko

-Todd

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21876 11/08/99 10:06 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
That makes sense to me , Todd. Good point about avoiding anything electrical or other potential heat source close by.

Bob

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21877 11/09/99 10:25 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I was considering putting some of them into plastic bags and storing them in my attic. Has anyone had any luck, good or bad, storing boxes in their attic?

I have had good luck so far.
I life in Florida where we have one of the worst mildew problems in the U.S. Therefore, I was concerned at first about putting the boxes in our attic. Nevertheless, I had no choice. Run out of room in the house.

All the boxes that have the Styrofoam inserts in them I stored in the attic in plastic garbage bags. I have checked them all after a year and they look great. A mechanical Engineer friend told me that all you have to do to protect your boxes from mildew is to seal them up in a plastic bag. Make sure when you put the boxes in the bag it is not humid at the time or it is done in an air-conditioned area. He has done this with his books in Tallahassee Florida for over 15 years and they still look the same.

I store all my boxes that come with the peanuts in the house. I dump the peanuts out and store them in the attic in plastic Garbage bags. I folded the boxes up and packed them into one large box about a foot and a half high. I have probably around 50 in one box.

Now if you life up north you probably would not have to put them in bags if you live in a low humidity area. My father has cloths, boxes etc that he has stored in his attic for 35 years in Pittsburgh Pa. With no problems. But he has no trees or water around.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 11-09-99).]

DANIEL
Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21878 11/11/99 11:42 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
You have aroused my curiosity, Daniel. What do trees have to do with it? Is it because they shade the house?

Bob

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21879 11/11/99 12:35 PM
Art Offline
I think that might have something to do with it, Bob, but the big thing about trees is the tremendous amount of water they transpire. This raises the humidity level in the microclimate around the trees. Since the typical attic is where the trees' canopies are, this can relate to a more humid attic and conditions more favorable for mold and mildew.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21880 11/11/99 06:07 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hi Daniel,

Nice to see another Floridian on the forum. I have my HL boxes in a closet but I have one of those mildew absorber containers in there with them. I was thinking maybe you could put one in each bag or save those little packets that absorb moisture that comes in pill containers or shoe boxes.

Joanne

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21881 11/14/99 01:45 AM
C
cyberkeeper Offline
C
I live in Florida also and have had no problem storing boxes in the attic using large trash bags. I have been doing this for the past 5 or 6 years and check them now and then and all are ok.

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21882 11/14/99 10:12 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Another concern to be considered in some areas are mice. Has anyone with an older home found any damage to their HL boxes caused by mice? Would the little furry critters consider the HL boxes as a great spot for a condo?

Bob

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21883 11/15/99 03:18 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Mice, in my house? You've got to be kidding. Wish I had an HL for every dead mouse (or parts thereof) I've disposed of. I'd have the entire collection by now and credit towards future releases.

Mombo

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21884 11/29/99 12:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another Florida resident here...my boxes are in the attic in large garbage bags....they are looking good.
Derith

Re: Tips for Box Storage... #21885 11/29/99 05:28 PM
LamarB Offline
I live in southeastern Louisiana and I store mine in the attic tightly sealed in large, heavy duty garbage bags, too. I checked mine too Derith, on Friday last while up there getting the Christmas decorations down. Mine are looking good also.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users