Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What not to do when shipping... #21845 05/26/04 10:58 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I received a badly damaged New Point Loma via UPS yesterday. The seller brought the piece to a UPS store and asked them to package it carefully. As a matter of fact I paid a rather high $20 for shipping and handling.

The make-shift box they packed it in was sufficent, I guess, and there were plenty of styrofoam peanuts around the original HL Box containing the NPL. I carefully opened the box and removed the original HL Box. I then opened the original box and found that the NPL had been placed in that box with no packing whatsoever. In other words, the NPL was bouncing around loose in the box for its trip halfway across the country.

The final result: two severely bent palm trees with the ceramic material broken away from their base; lantern room railing broken off and may be available on eBay for a "toe-ring"; although the ventilator ball survived the paint on it came off; several other nicks.

I contacted the seller who was very understanding. She told me she took it to the local UPS Store and told them to pack it carefully. Apparently, they never checked the inside of the original HL Box. End result...a once rare HL is now worthless. Such a shame...

frown Bob frown

Re: What not to do when shipping... #21846 05/28/04 03:06 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

Really a shame about the packing and resultant loss of the piece. Did the seller tell the packer to pack the contents of the box? If s/he just said to pack it carefully and failed to mention that she wanted the contents of the box packed too, then the seller is to blame. I know I wouldn't expect a 3rd party to open the box I'm sending off to someone and I would be very specific if I wanted the contents protected as well as the box. S/he should have presented the shipment as two separate pieces and explained what she wanted done. I've received shipments that had the box broken down as it would be for storage and the sculpture wrapped in bubble wrap and both pieces then floated in a sea of styrofoam peanuts. Darn shame--hope she's refunded your money including shipping.
Sandy frown frown

Re: What not to do when shipping... #21847 05/28/04 10:38 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob that is really too bad to waste such a limited piece. frown

Refresh my memory...how was the orignal NPL packaged when we received it at the first reunion?

Re: What not to do when shipping... #21848 05/28/04 11:16 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
That's a killer Bob. What was the number?
I know you had good intentions for the piece and the one it was replacing.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What not to do when shipping... #21849 05/28/04 02:31 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Bob, ...It was flag# 930. The damage claim has been started by the seller and she told me I should received a check in about two weeks. I don't know what they want me to do with the NPL. I imagine UPS will want it back. They will probably discard it. I know I'm not paying anything to ship it back. I've already paid $20 to get it here safe, but that didn't happen.

I must say the seller has been very nice about this matter and I too feel bad for them because they too are HL collectors. As I said before, "One less NPL in the world." Lord knows how many others may have met a similar fate since the 1997 Reunion.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: What not to do when shipping... #21850 06/14/04 11:36 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hmmm! It has been about three weeks and no contact from UPS or the seller. Anybody dealt with UPS re insurance claims in the past? If you did, any time frame on payment?

confused Bob confused

Re: What not to do when shipping... #21851 06/15/04 08:23 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Ironically, as I entered my home after work yesterday, my phone rang and the caller was the person I purchased the NPL from. She advised me that UPS contacted her and she would receive the insurance check within a day or so.

It appears I should receive my refund shortly thereafter. I guess I was fortunate on this one. I must admit the seller was very helpful in securing this payment.

smile Bob smile

Re: What not to do when shipping... #21852 06/21/04 11:31 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm happy to let all of you know that I received a full refund from the seller of the damaged NPL. UPS sent her the insurance check and she sent me a personal check. Case closed!

smile Bob smile

Re: What not to do when shipping... #21853 06/21/04 12:02 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It's always nice when things work the way they are supposed to- nicer yet if there wasn't any problem to begin with.

I hope you left the seller nice feedback for their efforts.

Dennis

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,466 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users