Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Good starter LE? #21765 05/22/04 03:06 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, so if it's not and you have the power to move, please do.

I got my Bailey's Harbor LE the other day and now I'm HOOKED. I want to get into LE collecting. I need a good "starter" light to get.

It has to be pretty cheap, so a recent light would be good. I have to be able to save up for it, so it must be readily available. And I want it to be something special, as it would be my first LE.

Let me know your thoughts. I don't care about the number. I'll just be happy to have one! I'll pick from the suggestions what one I like the most.

Thanks! Here's to the beginning of uncurable Wackodom. laugh

Re: Good starter LE? #21766 05/22/04 03:22 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Greg,

I would say you have your first piece - the Bailey's Harbor piece is one of the most limited editions HL has ever done.

If you intend to start saving to purchase pieces, decide what you want to collect. Do you want to concentrate on NJ lights? or ones you have visited? or east coast? or one of each style of LH construction? Bear in mind that some of the NJ lights have been produced as LEs early on, and might be expensive. Then there is always the Navesink mega-monster.........

If you aren't thinking of anything specific, Kenosha is a pretty light, has a sail boat on it, should be available and is only $45 as I recall.

Re: Good starter LE? #21767 05/22/04 03:36 PM
pierhead Offline
Greg my advice to you is to pay special attention to ebay. Some members will disagree with me on this, but I've gotten some of my best pieces this way. Once in awhile you'll find a LE piece for an awesome price. Just make sure to ask questions and pay attention to feedback left from other buyers before you decide to bid. And bid with caution - Ebay can become an addiction all to its own. Believe me, I know first hand. I've spent A LOT of money there. Other than that, not much else I can think of. Dave's advice was all very good. I think one of my favorite pieces from last year was Sand Island. A little more expensive at$68, but it is very well done.
Welcome to wackodom! smile

Re: Good starter LE? #21768 05/22/04 04:20 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks for the tips so far. I think I'm going to go with two things: the "seen" factor and the "cool" factor. I'd like to make the former the leader, but if there is a really neat one, I'll get it.

That Kenosha goes under the "cool" factor. And the "cheap" factor. Only 44.95 at the Depot! I like the boat, too. I think that's the one. Thanks Dave! Now, part two: the saving! laugh And then I think I like East Point, and then Absecon, and then that curio, and then that new wing... wink

Re: Good starter LE? #21769 05/22/04 07:29 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Now Greg, if you can mow a lot of lawns this afternoon, here is one on E-Bay that is not seen a lot and is currently at a very reasonable price, and is a NJ light too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11132&item=3292782671&rd=1

Re: Good starter LE? #21770 05/22/04 09:59 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Excellant Choice Jim
Two houres and is still at a good price.

DANIEL
Re: Good starter LE? #21771 05/22/04 10:49 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I guess I'm a little late reading that. I don't have either a) a lawn mower with a light or b) one that can mow the entire street in the next 20 minutes. But thanks for the idea! smile

Re: Good starter LE? #21772 05/23/04 08:28 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
How much free cash do you have, Greg? Your answer will clearly define what you might be able to purchase as "good starter HL's".

You have a few options regarding starting a collection that will have some meaning to you:

1. Purchase a piece that you have visited or is from your area that you would love to have but expect to pay more.

2. Purchase a piece that you really hadn't thought about but the price is right.

3. Purchase a few GLOW's at bargain pricing. Remember, GLOW's are made the exact same way as LE's except they will continually be made as long as Harbour Lights chooses to do so.

The following is an unpaid commercial message and could be hazardous to your financial well-being

Do I have a deal for you! Let me know how much money you want to spend and I will let you know what I can do for you. I have doubles, triples, and more of great LE's! I have shelves full of early GLOW's looking for a caring new owner! Most every extra HL I have is in its original box. You couldn't find a better deal anywhere in the continental United States of America. Many of these beautiful tributes to lighthouses can be purchased for less than the price of a tank of gas. Do you feel lucky? Let me know if you're interested in a deal that will surely make you smile!

The preceding message was brought to you by "Honest Bob's HL Sales". This message is not strictly for entertainment purposes and Honest Bob does not operate out of the trunk of his car. Honest Bob has hundreds of satisfied customers across the USA. Honest Bob sells authentic Harbour Lights products. Purchasing merchandise from Honest Bob is not hazardous to your health. Get more bang for your buck by buying from "Honest Bob's HL Sales."

cool cool cool C'mon down and see what I have to offer! cool cool cool

smile Bob smile

Re: Good starter LE? #21773 05/23/04 09:40 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Honest Bob
I am looking for some Harbor lights to commplete my collection but I have no more room. I filled a 5'x5'x12' climate control storage. I have 100 displayed, my wife's closset is filled with them and I have two corners of our home stacked with HL's. Whats a collector to do.
How about I pay time share on some HL's.
You store them and send me a picture of what I own. Then I can say I own them all and don't have to worry about where to store them.
What do you think Honest Bob? wink

DANIEL
Re: Good starter LE? #21774 05/23/04 05:06 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Many of these beautiful tributes to lighthouses can be purchased for less than the price of a tank of gas.

Gee, Bob, the price of a tank of gas is covers quite the range. Saint Tim was telling me last week that they just upgraded the FSB's Yugo to a 5 gallon tank. Then there is my van with its 35 gallon tank, and need we even mention filling up Its Only Money??

Re: Good starter LE? #21775 05/23/04 09:50 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I want to get into LE collecting. I need a good "starter" light to get.
This is an easy question to answer.
Buy your favorite no matter the cost.
If it is expensive save up for it.
If it is reasonable buy it now.
I always go for the more rare version; it holds it retail price better.
In other words if there is a green water version I would save up for it, then to buy the cheaper blue water version now.
I do not mean to save up for:
Ch-1, coquille, misspelled Split rock and misspelled Mukilteo.
They are out of most collectors reach.
I would go after my favorite retired HL that still has some resell value.

DANIEL

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users