Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21746 01/26/03 05:12 PM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
With the cold weather upon us all, including Texas (38 F) eek . Does smoke free apply to fireplaces or cigerettes? Since I have started collecting we have not used the fireplace. This cold weather 38 F brrrrrr makes me want to throw plastic over the displays seal with duct tape and spark a huge one in the fireplace. Why is smoke free so important? Since everyone puts it in their sales clip so do I and no fire in the fireplace since I obtained my first light. So whats the deal? confused

Chuck brrrrrrr laugh

bigdragon
Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21747 01/26/03 05:47 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I bought White Shoal on Ebay from a "smoker" and the light and the box were dirty and stunk! frown It took me about a month to rid them of the odor. I don't think a fireplace counts, in my opinion, because you don't get that same odor

Jim
Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21748 01/26/03 07:19 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I believe that the smoke-free thing is way over played. I don't smoke and haven't for 29 years, but, it wouldn't matter to me at all if I had a chance to buy a piece for my collection that I wanted if the person smoked or not. I have many in my collection right now that came from smokers and their is no odor left on either the box or piece. As far as I'm concerned their is no difference between smoking and cooking. Cooking will build up a residue of grease over a period of time also.

Chuck, burn your fireplace all you want and stay warm because if someone wants to buy your collection when you give it all up, they won't care whether your burned wood, smoked or cooked french fries right underneath your "gold" lighthouse. All they're going to be interested in is "how much" and what do you charge for "shipping". All kidding aside, I think that smoking in a lot of people's mind is the thing they are worried about and having a fireplace is not even brought into mind.

Keep warm and watch the Super Bowl.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21749 01/26/03 10:09 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I have had the same experience Jim. Besides the lighthouse smelling it also had a dingy yellow color to it. I won't consider buying one from a smoking environment again. Imho, it's not over played and certainly worth consideration. If I couldn't see it before I bought it I would have to walk away.

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21750 01/27/03 12:25 AM
pierhead Offline
Anytime you buy a piece on ebay, you're taking a chance that the seller has the same idea of "mint" that you do. That's not always the case. The majority of the time, the light is going to be what you want. I've bought many lights on ebay and been very happy with them. Every so often though, your going to get one your not happy with. Then you have to stop and think, "how much did I pay for this?" Chances are you got it for a pretty good price on ebay. Now I'm not saying that I don't want my lights to be in mint condition, but if I get one with a box(? confused ?) that's stinky, or a light that smells, and I paid 60-75% cost, I'll probably be satisfied. And I'll just be sure to spray some extra potpouri in that area of the house. I don't sell any of my lights, and I collect strictly for enjoyment. It's my hobby, not a business investment. If you want EVERYTHING to be perfect, DON'T buy lights on ebay. There are plenty of people out there willing to sell their actual mint lighthouses at actual mint prices. Or, if you still want to buy on ebay, email the seller a list of 20 questions. smile

So how about that Superbowl?! Looks like my prediction was a little off the mark (at this point in the game).

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21751 01/27/03 01:24 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Regarding the non smoking/smoking topic!

After my mother-in-law passed away, the children needed to get her house in order to sell. I had the job of doing this sad task. My in-laws had two fireplaces, and a wood stove in their home. They burned wood many, many fall and winter evenings thru the years. (No cigarette, cigar, pipe smoke).
I couldn't believe the amount of smoke residue on the walls, ceilings, furniture and such. It took hours and hours of spic and span cleaning, and carpet cleaning to rid of this odor.
When the time came, to close the deal on the home, we were very pleased with the end result!

We have a fireplace in our home, and do not use it, just because of the mess. Not because of my collectibles, just because of the mess!

My father, (83) has smoked a pipe for all of my life, and when he is in our home, he does not "light up"! Not even in the garage....an unsafe place to smoke! We am not pleased with his smoking, but that's our Dad!

Smoking leaves residue, has an odor, it's costly, and it can kill you!

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21752 01/27/03 12:36 PM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well, I quit smoking 13 years ago so it's not a problem in that area and my nose has become sensativity to the smell. However, I do miss my fireplace it was one of the reasons we bought our house. I think I will start having a fire every now and then. Our fireplace draws real well. Since I really don't sale any lights as a practice and if I do they can stay at work in my office.

chuck

bigdragon
Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21753 01/27/03 06:03 PM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
no one wants to buy an item that reeks like crazy. Also, one would hope that the seller would indicate that a lighthouse has turned off color if has whether from smoke or any other reason. I've only collected for 8 months now, and I find that boxes come in all conditions.

good friends mean good times
Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21754 01/27/03 07:58 PM
DeDo Offline
I have purchased many of the older lights thru the Marketplace and a few on E-bay. Only problem I ever had was with a well known secondary market dealer from NC on an E-bay sale a few years back.

The light, box, everything reeked of tobacco smoke! I was so disappointed with the sale but I hadn't thought to ask about the non-smoking environment or home.

It took days of airing it out in the sunlight on low humidty, breezy days.

Actually wanted to leave a neutral feedback but decided to leave no feedback at all. Actually saw other buyers leaving positives but remarking on the odor.

Now I've learned to ask before I bid on E-bay or buy in the Marketplace.

BTW never even considered a fireplace as causing any problem with smoky odor/residue. You never smell any smoke in the house or on clothing if it is a good burning fire with good draft. We have a cast iron insert in our fireplace so it isn't an open burning fire.

Donna

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21755 01/27/03 08:28 PM
pierhead Offline
Maybe I should have just written "Ebay can be risky! Ask questions!"

Chuck, I used to have a woodstove. Always made the house seem so much cozier. Unfortunately, my wife's allergies prevent us from burning any kind of wood in the house. Now that we're looking to move again, a gas log fireplace has become part of the criteria. smile

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21756 01/27/03 11:39 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I have a woodstove in my home and use it all winter. It doesn't have any adverse effects on my HL collection that I know of. I never smell any smoke in the house or on any of my belongings.

If one of your HL's comes from a smoking household, you will probably smell cigarette smoke on the box. I don't believe HL's absorb odors. Air the box out well and I would guess that the smoke smell would eventually disappear.

I come from a smoke-free home and no one in my family smokes. If someone wants to smoke, well that's their business. Just don't do it around me...thank you!

smile Bob smile

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21757 01/28/03 11:34 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I've had only one experience with a 'smoked' HL! The smell was quite shocking when I opened the box.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21758 01/28/03 04:07 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
I don't believe HL's absorb odors
Oh yes they do, it took a couple of months for the smell to disapear.

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21759 01/29/03 10:23 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Geez. I better move my curio farther away from the bathroom then! laugh

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21760 01/29/03 01:13 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee Digger, ...If you win the "Register & Win" contest and you get to pick a future HL, you should ask Harbour Lights to make a very special "bathroom" model. It should have a lantern room that you turn 1/4 turn and pull up to reveal an "air wick". (You folks do remember air wicks.)

The new HL Air Wick could come in several different scents:

Salt-sea air
Rocky coast kelp
Clam flat (low tide)
Clam flat (high tide)
Coco butter
Fume de la outboard motor
Sun screen sensation

No matter what scent you use, the next visitor to the applied area will be forever grateful. It makes sense/scents to me!

Just another view from the East Coast where it's a very balmy 20 degrees with a slight touch of snow flurries.

smile Bob smile

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21761 01/29/03 09:57 PM
Torchbearer Offline
I purchased a light from a broker who was obviously a smoker. When I opened the shipping box, I couldn't believe the smell. And when I opened the HL box, I was half expecting to see an ash tray in it. Like Sean said... it took a few months for the smell of cigarettes to completely dissipate. Before I buy, I now ask!

Tim

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21762 03/27/03 03:44 PM
sanibel
sanibel
Some sellers on e-bay do a good job at letting you know if it was displayed or stored in a smoke free environment.

Also, we are talking about resin and cardboard. Neither of these substances can repel odors, they can only absorb them.

If you think smoke is bad, try cat pee. I tried washing and everything else and finally had to just destroy the pieces and find replacements.

Eileen Dunlap
Charlotte, NC
Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21763 03/29/03 01:43 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Eileen, sounds like it's time for John's dishwasher!

laugh Might work on the smell!!!! (LOL)

Re: Smoke Free? Ya or Na #21764 03/29/03 05:53 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
If my dishwasher hadn't broken down I might have put the cats in it. They could do with a good wash! smile

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users