Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxes and Certificates #21543 09/02/01 06:58 PM
T
TJB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
All, this must have been rehashed many times on here over the years, but bear with me, since I'm relatively new to the forums. I have a lot of early pieces of which I cleverly disposed of the boxes, thinking I would never need them. Yeah, I know...dumb and dumber. How does this affect the price on the secondary market? What if some equally bright individual wrote the model and serial numbers on ALL the Certificates? Are there those out there, like me, who wouldn't care as long as the piece was pristine? Need some advice here. Thanks in advance!

Old man needs to sell!
Re: Boxes and Certificates #21544 09/02/01 08:14 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
As I think you suspected the missing boxes will affect the price somewhat.

It will depend on the individual item and the individual buyer as to how much effect it will have. There are some who will not care, but know that the value is less without the original packacking. Then there are the ones who will not even consider the item without it.

Unfortunately you won't know a true answer until you do a few things- go to the Marketplace here on the forums and see what things were listed for and try and contact those sellers and see if they will tell you what they actually sold for.

Another thing to do is to go to Ebay and other auction sites and search for recent listings of the items you have to sell and seeif any of these items sold and for what amount.

This will give you some idea of the Market out there. If you are patient you may get a better price, but there are just as many patient buyers out there. in some ways it's a game of chicken- it just depends on who blinks first.

You can also do a search of the posts in the Forums to retrieve earlier discussions on this subject

This question on the forum will also give you much information as I'm sure others will chime in with more advice for you.

Good luck.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 09-02-2001).]

Re: Boxes and Certificates #21545 09/02/01 08:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome to the forums. The certificate is easily replaced. It is NOT individually numbered. Call Harbour Lights 800-365-1219 and tell them which you need and they'll mail them out to you no charge.

Re: Boxes and Certificates #21546 09/03/01 12:21 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi there TJB. As with any collectible, the original packaging DOES influence the secondary value. Remember the packaging IS part of the collectible. Some just a little, some very much. My rule of thumb is "If it is a limited edition with a number, keep the packaging". I know that storage problems are created with all those boxes, but it is just something you have to do especially if you ever consider that someday you may want to sell your collection. One good indication is The Antique Roadshow. They stress over and over again how important it is to have the original packaging when putting a value on a fine antique or collectible.

Serious buyers on the other hand almost always consider this when they are about to lay down some serious cash. If the original packaging is there, it is always easier to get your asking price. With the exception of a few RARE cases, I will not buy if the packaging is not there and in good condition.

Re: Boxes and Certificates #21547 09/03/01 02:12 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WHen you become a HLights collector of lighthouses, you automatically become a collector of their boxes. I have a storage room 6'X 12' devoted to Harbour Lights BOXES!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-03-2001).]

Geo H.
Re: Boxes and Certificates #21548 09/03/01 02:52 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I got some of my nicest Southern Belle Lighthouses at a much more reasonable price because I didn't care if it came with a box. Since Harbour Lights offered replacement boxes for a couple of years in the beginning days of Harbour Lights, just what is an original box?
SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Boxes and Certificates #21549 09/03/01 05:40 PM
DocJ44 Offline
Personally I think the fact that there is any value at all to the box is really stupid...but I didn't make the "rules."

Like you TJB I pitched the boxes from the first pieces I bought. When I realized their value is less without it, I didn't really care too much because I don't really think I would ever sell them. But once "educated", I began to save the boxes of the new pieces I acquired to "maximize" the investment...just in case...if not for me, then for my kids who would inherit them.

But believe me if someone with "power" in the collector world could officially change the box "rules", those boxes would be out with the trash in a heartbeat!

To save room I take the styrofoam packaging out of the box, tape the top and bottom pieces together, label them with the appropriate lighthouse, put about 8 - 10 in a large trash bag, tie it closed and then put it in an old coal cellar room in my basement. Getting a little damp won't damage the styrofoam. I them undo the flaps on the bottom of the boxes, flatten them out and store them separately on a closet shelf in my bedroom. This has worked pretty well for me so far.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Boxes and Certificates #21550 09/09/01 03:20 PM
T
TJB Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Doc John,
I have walked in those shoes! Good idea on separating the boxes and the styrofoam, but I'm a little leery of what a 130-degree attic in Houston in the summer would do to them over time (we have no cellars down here). For now, I've just monopolized all the closet space in the spare bedrooms. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

TJB

Old man needs to sell!
Re: Boxes and Certificates #21551 09/09/01 05:36 PM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have come up with a rule of thumb that without a box it takes off about 10% to 15% of the value of the piece. That is my own personal thoughts on this. Others might disagree but you really need the boxes if you should move or take them to a signing or even to store them away.
Hal

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users