Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
This stuff works great! #21496 12/29/05 04:25 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I've tried Windex. I've tried Clearview. I've tried store brands. I've tried vinegar and water. I've used newspaper. I've used paper towels. I've used old bath towels. Until now, I've never been able to get the glass in my curios, the mirrors, the windows in my house, and the windows in my cars to be streak free when cleaned.

I was at a local "Home & Auto" store (Bennys) and saw an aerosol can of glass cleaner called "Invisible Glass". It wasn't cheap at a cost of $3.99 per can. I thought, "What the heck, I've tried about everything without success."

Well let me tell you, this stuff is without a doubt the best glass cleaner I have ever used. It is the first glass cleaner I've used in recent years that left my mirrors and glass streak free. I was also very pleased with the fact that the usual streaks didn't come back after a few days like with other cleaners.

I highly recommend "Invisible Glass" as the best alternative to getting the glass in your curios clean and have the "clean" last longer than ever before.

smile Bob smile

Re: This stuff works great! #21497 12/29/05 04:41 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How does it work on shower doors with stubborn water spots Ive tried everything and can't get them off. I've tried that stuff on TV for stubborn water stains and it dosnt work Ive scrubed with scum buster, I've tried everything. mad

Re: This stuff works great! #21498 12/29/05 05:26 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

Tomorrow I intend to go out and purchase "Invisible Glass" if I can find it. Thanks for the hint.

I've had the same problems.

bobo

Re: This stuff works great! #21499 12/29/05 07:49 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Now that I'm home, I got the spray can of "Invisible Glass" out of the bathroom closet. It is made by Stoner and it lists itself as a Window, Windshield & Mirror Cleaner. The can is 19 ounces, dark in color with a yellow plastic cap. It's well worth the $3.99. Try it, you'll like it!

smile Bob smile

Re: This stuff works great! #21500 12/29/05 09:34 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sharon and I were just reading your post Bob and she can attest to the fact that "Invisible Glass" works wonders. We've been using it since last Spring and we love it. Glad you brought this up. Happy New Year to you, Lorna and Cosmos.

Bert & Sharon smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: This stuff works great! #21501 12/30/05 06:27 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
For those that want to know where to buy "invisible glass" you can go to this web site... Where to buy Invisible Glass I'll be trying it out also. Thanks Bob.

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: This stuff works great! #21502 12/30/05 09:30 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I hope everyone has the success I did with it. I was so frustrated using other products and cleaning the curio glass three times and still end up with streaks. The same went for the interior windows on my vehicles. I could never get them streak free and we all know how those streaks look when you're driving into the sun.

The other thing that surprised me about Invisible Glass is how long the glass stays cleaner looking. It may cost more than conventional glass cleaners, but the results and longer-lasting effects are well worth it.

smile Bob smile

Re: This stuff works great! #21503 12/30/05 03:16 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We've learned from time and lots of experience that, in general, the aerosol glass cleaners work exponentially better than the spray or otherwise ones. It must be something they need to do to the formula. Maybe the aerosol...technology...helps it to be streak free?

Sometimes they're a little more expensive, but they are DEFINITELY worth it!

Re: This stuff works great! #21504 12/30/05 08:14 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

As I indicated yesterday, I want out and purchased a can of "Invisible Glass". AND YOU ARE RIGHT!

It really works better than anything I have ever tried before. The glass on my curios actualy shine and I can see what's inside. My TV thinks it's brand new.

And I can actually see out the windshield of my car without distortion.

bobo

Re: This stuff works great! #21505 12/30/05 08:29 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ott:
And I can actually see out the windshield of my car without distortion.
Bob, with your driving doesn't this make the experience all that more scary???

Re: This stuff works great! #21506 12/30/05 10:25 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Yea, Now Bob can actually see what he's going to hit before he hits it.

Rich
Re: This stuff works great! #21507 01/01/06 02:59 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
So I guess I can't use the excuse "It must be bad glass or something" any more???

Thanks Bob, will have to get some.

Re: This stuff works great! #21508 01/04/06 02:42 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint

Bob, we are going to try your recommendation and use "invisible glass" as we undertake to clean all of the cabinets..

I am trying to figure out a new way to arrange the collection while we do it.. The are arranged by regions of the country for the most part, now. I have all of the Society pieces, Christmas pieces, variations and gold pieces grouped together.

I have been toying with the idea of displaying them by HL number, at least all of the LE's (easiest way to crosscheck inventory).

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: This stuff works great! #21509 01/04/06 03:14 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul,

I started displaying my LE's by HL number a couple of years ago. It works well and the procedure makes crosschecking and identification much easier.

bobo

Re: This stuff works great! #21510 01/04/06 04:43 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
It also makes where to add the newest ones an easier decision... Now all I have to do is decide to do it that way..

Re: This stuff works great! #21511 01/04/06 04:57 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Both my inventory and my sculptures are displayed by either state or HL name--i.e., Original 17, Lady Lightkeepers, etc. I have 4 glass-front overhead cabinets in my office for the collections and event pieces, 4 5' glass curio cabinets in my living room (New York, Florida, Pharo Collection, Hudson River, Special Editions/Historical Buildings, Southeastern Lights), 2 5' glass curio cabinets (Christmas Editions, Fresnel Lenses) flanking a 3.5' x 1.25' x 7' curio cabinet similar to Paul's in a 2nd floor sitting room, 1 glass-front bookcase (barrister) housing the Collector's Society pieces in that room as well, and a glass/brass wall-hung cabinet for the British Isles Collection. My 7' cabinet has seven shelves, four of which we added after purchasing the cabinet.

We're working on finding a way to support all the shelves in that cabinet, as the weight of the sculptures is causing a slight bow on a few of the shelves. The people we bought the glass shelves from provided 12" long clear plastic strips with adhesive on one side, but they lose their stickiness and the strips fall onto the next shelf. The "plan" is to remove everything this month, clean the interior thoroughly (been using Invisible Glass and newspaper for a few years), lay the cabinet on the floor (glass front down, then turning it and adding strips to the mirror back) and adhese the strips using a heavy-duty caulk that dries clear. Entry to the cabinet is through glass doors on the sides. The next cabinet I get will have to "open" from the front--slide from left to right or right to left.

Paul, have you had any problem with bowing shelves? Are there any supports in the center of your shelves? If there are supports in the center, what are you using? The 3.5' span of my cabinet is just a tad too long to be supported only at the ends. Because of the side-opening, I have to use a ruler to move the pieces into or out of the center of the cabinet. After the garage is built in the spring, the "stored" clothing, dining room set, etc. that is presently behind that "wall" of cabinets will be moved into the storage area of the garage. I'll then have the room for another 7' curio cabinet or a few other 5' ones to take the load off the one I now have.

Re: This stuff works great! #21512 01/04/06 05:39 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
In the cabinets that my brother-in-law made, the shelves are 1/4 plate glass, no bowing with them.. Four cabinets are ones that Joe made and four cabinets are store bought (two smaller ones that came from mom's are in the photo room waiting for lighthouses)..

I am going to put all Little lights in one of them and use the other one to store the lighthouses when I am shooting them for the catalog..

I will be able to keep the door to that room open, except when I am shooting lighthouses, for the first time in a long time (four cats and had been using open shelves to store the lighthouse waiting to be shot).

I will post new images of all of the cabinets once we get the cleaning done, it will take a while!

Re: This stuff works great! #21513 01/04/06 08:06 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Sandy - There was a topic from about 1 1/2 years ago title "My Worst Nightmare" where a members shelf broke and started a cascade of shelves breaking. I explained how to prevent this problem then and I'm reprinting it now for you. Several members have tried it and it really works, look good, is inexpensive and is simple to do. Here it is again for you:

"I have found a way to shore up the glass in my curio cabinets. With the length of the glass shelves in several of my curio cabinets exceeding 4' from side to side, I have purchased clear plexiglass rods (square or round is your choice. I chose square) from a local glass company to use for extra support in the middle of the shelves. I use one rod at the front and one rod at the back of each shelf. I cut them to fit between the underneath of the bottom (1st) shelf to the top of the wooden cabinet base in both the front and back of the cabinet. I then cut two more to fit between the underneath of the 2nd shelf and the top of the bottom (1st) shelf. Then two more rods between the underneath of the 3rd shelf to the top of the 2nd shelf. This goes on depending on the amount of shelves you have. With the rods in place, and as you sit lighthouses on the 2nd shelf, the weight of the lighthouses is actually absorbed by the plexieglass rods instead of the shelf having a potential to sag. It's sort of like a skyscrapper's framework where the weight of the entire frame is actually absorbed into the ground foundation. The weight on the center of each shelf is actually absorbed by the wooden base as it is transfered from plexiglass rod to plexiglass rod to the wooden base. The rods are virtually invisible when you looked at them and you will eventually ignore them all together.

Just an idea that I came up with to put my mind at ease about undue stress on the center of the glass shelves and having my shelves break from excess weight".

I hope this is helpfull to anyone that has this fear of their shelve sagging.

Rich
Re: This stuff works great! #21514 01/04/06 08:23 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich, Harry did the same thing, when a couple of years ago I pointed out that the shelves, in the lobby of Harbour Lights home office had started sagging.. He went out and got some clear pexiglass rods and cut them to fit as support pillars..

The 1/4 inch plate glass in my cabinets cost more but it is sure worth it, in terms not worrying about sagging shelves..

Re: This stuff works great! #21515 01/04/06 09:30 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks guys. My shelves in that cabinet are 1/4" thick. Tumour was acting up when I posted earlier and I couldn't think of "plexiglass" which is what the glass people gave me. Their adhesive doesn't have a long shelf life (no pun intended) and the rods loosen and fall onto the shelf below.

My problem comes from putting too many pieces on each shelf--a problem I can't resolve until I get more cabinets. I've purchased plexiglass risers that are narrower than the glass shelf they sit on and stagger the sculptures. Each shelf and its two risers hold from 8 to 10 LEs and that's where the weight issue comes into play.

Re: This stuff works great! #21516 01/04/06 11:01 PM
beachcomber Offline
Those are beautiful cases, Paul. I know that most of you display your lights in glass cases which are lighted and have mirror backs. That is the perfect way. I hope you all do post more pictures of your collections. My lights are set up by region and state, but just today I was trying to think of a better way and by HL number sounds very good - except for the Christmas lights which are all together. The geographical way is making some of the shelves pretty crowded. If I go to HL numbering, it will simplify that problem - particularly when I'm able to purchase some of the earlier lights - just shove everything over a little. I think I will try that. Thanks for all the great ideas.

beachcomber
Re: This stuff works great! #21517 01/05/06 01:37 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rich,

After re-reading your response, I believe you're saying that the rods are placed perpendicular in the back and front of each shelf; my thoughts were to place them horizontally under each shelf. I like your idea better as I won't have to glue them in-place which will make the glass and mirror easier to clean. I want to avoid placing a rod perpendicularly (sp.?) in the center of each shelf as the rod may interfere with sculpture placement.

"Houston, we have a problem"--I'm supposed to be transcribing a town meeting tape!! Need I mention that lighthouses have taken over my life?! wink wink wink

Sandy

Re: This stuff works great! #21518 01/05/06 02:15 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I want to avoid placing a rod perpendicularly (sp.?) in the center of each shelf as the rod may interfere with sculpture placement.
It would be better than a shelf collapsing, causing a chain reaction!

Re: This stuff works great! #21519 01/05/06 07:31 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Point well-taken. Thanks, Paul.

Sandy

Re: This stuff works great! #21520 01/05/06 10:52 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Sandy - That is correct that the rods are placed verticle to the horizontal shelves. They are not glued or cemented in place. They are free standing and after I cut the rods to the size required I placed a self-sticking piece of felt on the ends. This keeps the rods from falling and adds a padding between the rod and the glass. The trick is to measure the distance with the shelves empty so the true measurement is taken. You them put the rod in place and load the shelves. The neat thing is that after the shelves are loaded you can try and remove a rod. If it is harder to remove then when the shelves were empty, the shelf is bowing. If it is still the same as when the shelves were empty, then the shelf is fine. This sort of gives you piece of mind. This principal is the way skyscrapers are built. The bottom supports the top so you must start at the bottom and work up. Also, this principal does not rely on gluing horizontal supports to the back and front center supports because what do you glue to when you have a mirrored back and a solid glass front door with horizontal supports?

Rich
Re: This stuff works great! #21521 01/06/06 02:30 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Also, this principal does not rely on gluing horizontal supports to the back and front center supports because what do you glue to when you have a mirrored back and a solid glass front door with horizontal supports?
Umm. . .the mirror and the glass?? Which is what I planned to do until I found you had a better idea. This also alleviates my having a 7' cabinet lying face down and then lying back down on the floor while I wait for the caulk to cure. laugh laugh laugh

Re: This stuff works great! #21522 01/07/06 07:27 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
We have two cabinets done and six to go.. While starting to put the first LE cabinet back together I thought I would shoot a 'Hat' family portrait..

Pretty good looking family!!

Re: This stuff works great! #21523 01/07/06 07:40 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Paul,

Great picture, but how many are there? Hard to tell with the mirror reflection. What editions are they? (I know 102 and 102R, but am not familiar with the other ones you have.) Do you have the stamps?

Sandy

Re: This stuff works great! #21524 01/07/06 08:17 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The mirror is covered by three of my photographs.. The lighthouses are from left to right:

LL101 Cape Hatteras
Ornament Cape Hatteras
Spyglass Cape Hatteras
HL632 Hatteras On-the-Move
HL609 Cape Hatteras Thumbnail
HL102 Cape Hatteras
HL102R Cape Hatteras (Revised)
HL401 Cape Hatteras (GAL not GLOW)
HL401R Cape Hatteras (Revised)

Using position of the lanternroom to determine the order of left to right while not paying attention of front to back position...

Re: This stuff works great! #21525 01/07/06 10:00 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Very impressive baseball team you have there!!
Sandy

Re: This stuff works great! #21526 01/08/06 12:24 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
That photo on the left looks mighty familiar Paul! If it's the one I think it is you should show it to the folks too (and tell them the story behind it). Mine is framed and sits on top of a cabinet containing HL's in my entry. smile

Re: This stuff works great! #21527 01/08/06 01:12 AM
beachcomber Offline
Fantastic collection, Paul! Truly impressive.

beachcomber
Re: This stuff works great! #21528 01/10/06 03:03 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
From the Stoner website, I checked with a couple of local stores that were supposed to carry the product, but did not have it.

Finally found it at Checker Auto Parts @ $4.99.

I did all three of my curios yesterday, taking about an hour each to unload, remove and clean the glass shelves and clean the glass and mirrors inside and out, dusting the approximately 30 pieces in each curio, and reloading everything.

They are shining brightly now! Thanks for the tip. It was very easy to use. We shall see how long it keeps looking great.

It had been six months since the last thorough cleaning and the glass was looking pretty bad.

Re: This stuff works great! #21529 01/12/06 01:45 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the tip Bob. smile

John and I went to Wal-Mart and bought 4 cans. One for my curio cabinet and 3 for John's cars. It worked fantastic on the cabinet. John was way excited to use it on his car windows since he is a "clean freak" on his "babies".

BTW...it cost $3.49 a can at Wal-Mart.

Re: This stuff works great! #21530 01/12/06 11:06 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Yeah, everything's cheaper at Wal-Mart...yeah RIGHT! mad Sorry, I don't particularly care for Wal-Mart and their practices, but that's 'nuff said since this could go WAAAAAAAAAY off topic...maybe even start a whole new forum!! wink

Steve

Now that I've thought about it, rather than keep those who are uninformed (vs. those just looking the other way) uninformed, here's a small sampling of just one (1) instance:

www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050724/OPINION/507240314/1020

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: This stuff works great! #21531 01/13/06 05:47 PM
beachcomber Offline
Yea, Steve!! Here's another one with a great deal of background and the impact on our economy as a result:

http://pf.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

beachcomber
Re: This stuff works great! #21532 01/13/06 06:34 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
In the end, of course, it is we as shoppers who have the power, and who have given that power to Wal-Mart. Part of Wal-Mart's dominance, part of its insight, and part of its arrogance, is that it presumes to speak for American shoppers.

If Wal-Mart doesn't like the pricing on something, says Andrew Whitman, who helped service Wal-Mart for years when he worked at General Foods and Kraft, they simply say, "At that price we no longer think it's a good value to our shopper. Therefore, we don't think we should carry it."

Wal-Mart has also lulled shoppers into ignoring the difference between the price of something and the cost. Its unending focus on price underscores something that Americans are only starting to realize about globalization: Ever-cheaper prices have consequences. Says Steve Dobbins, president of thread maker Carolina Mills: "We want clean air, clear water, good living conditions, the best health care in the world--yet we aren't willing to pay for anything manufactured under those restrictions."
From the "Fast Company" article.

Are we so hooked up on the lowest price that we aren't willing to support US companies making US products with US workers?

I shop at Wal-Mart. But I'm re-thinking things. I'll let you know.

Re: This stuff works great! #21533 01/13/06 06:49 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
John, if you are going to buy US made only items you are going to have to go without a lot of stuff, including you know what!

I have a nephew who is a store manager and another who is an assistant manager but buy very few items at Walmart. They do have the lowest prices on many items but not all. And a lot of the stuff they sell (or anyone else) we really don't need. Just think of all the "stuff" we tend to accumulate. Do we really need most of it???

Re: This stuff works great! #21534 01/13/06 07:05 PM
beachcomber Offline
Thanks, John, that's all we ask - that people listen to both sides and then make their own decisions. As for finding few things made in the U.S., that is the point. Everything is being outsourced because of companies like Wal-Mart. As you say, Sue, we can do without a lot of stuff - at least long enough to make these companies that outsource reconsider. Only a negative financial impact will cause a change. Wal-Mart recently lost a lawsuit brought against them regarding lunch breaks for employees. It is a significant win for their employees, but, of course, the company is appealing. If the courts uphold the initial decision, maybe Wal-Mart will begin doing better by their employees. Another major lawsuit is before the courts - that one is for discrimination against women. Their commercials sure paint a different picture, don't they?

beachcomber
Re: This stuff works great! #21535 01/13/06 11:29 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I didn't say I would only buy US made products, Sue. I couldn't own a television or most any kind of electronics item if that were so.

PBS showed their program "Is Wal-Mart Good for America?" last week (I think that was the title on Frontline.)

Clearly Wal-Mart is focused on the price. When the kind of juice I buy (made in USA)- Ocean Spray Lite Ruby Grapefruit Drink - is $2.99/ half gallon at Super Wal-Mart and $3.99 everywhere else, why buy it for a buck a bottle more? Wal-Mart doesn't always have the lowest prices - but they'll match any other store's advertised prices (you have to ask.)

The PBS show talked about the pressure that manufacturers get from Wal-Mart to keep lowering prices on standard items. (Repeated in the Fast Company article.) Not being able to keep lowering prices drove Rubbermaid out of business and the PBS show pictured the auction of the company's equipment. The high-bidder for a huge injection molding machine was a manufacturer in China.

The pressure to keep buying cheaper isn't just because you can get it for less at Wal-Mart. It's also because we have an unrealistic minimum wage system in this country and a huge percentage of the population not covered by health insurance (and higher health insurance costs) and maybe because we're giving billionaires tax breaks and allowing oil companies to charge what they want for gas (up 15 cents a gallon here in the last two days.)

OK, don't get me started. (Too late.)

Re: This stuff works great! #21536 01/13/06 11:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes I watched that show too John. May have seen it already as it was originally broadcast in the fall of '04.

(We must be the PBS twins???)

Re: This stuff works great! #21537 01/14/06 12:15 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Clearly Wal-Mart is focused on the price. When the kind of juice I buy (made in USA)- Ocean Spray Lite Ruby Grapefruit Drink - is $2.99/ half gallon at Super Wal-Mart and $3.99 everywhere else, why buy it for a buck a bottle more? Wal-Mart doesn't always have the lowest prices - but they'll match any other store's advertised prices (you have to ask.)
Gee, and I was not trying to get off the track! laugh What have I done?!?

Okay, working in retail, I know that they dictate to the vendors how much they'll pay or they can take their product elsewhere. With all of the Wal-Mart stores, saying we'll put you in our stores (sometimes exclusively) means big $$ even if it is less than they would've made spreading their products around, but they get it quicker by dealing it for a lower price and to one supplier. Problem is, this will lead to one of several things happening...we all know the big-wigs aren't going to take a loss; either the company starts cheating you on size, starts using cheaper materials and/or cutting corners, they initiate mass lay-offs which (besides the obvious) makes more of a work load for less people at the same or lower wages, or they go under. The competing stores all start operating on skeleton crews, decrease hours and/or benefits...well, you get the picture...they pay college graduates to come in and devise strategies to project how elimianating the competition, drives down wages and eliminates jobs and makes us all have to shop at Wal-Mart because we can't afford to shop anywhere else, and/or our second and third jobs make our time so limited that we have to do everything at a one-stop-shop!

Anyhoo, back to the ball game!! wink

Steve

BTW, Lorie...this is nothing personal...just trying to educate the masses! smile

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: This stuff works great! #21538 01/14/06 01:12 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
You have all hijacked Bob's thread about a quality glass cleaner. Take this discussion to the FSB. I'm closing this thread at this point.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users