Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Daydream Believers #21420 06/17/00 12:44 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's the scenario. It's your day off, you're admiring your Harbour Lights collection when you close in on one particular light and you wonder what it would be like to be there and explore the building, the tower, the grounds.

Which Harbour Lights would you like to be able to day-dream to and explore? Or, if you're not a good day-dreamer, perhaps looking at a particular Harbour Lights sculpture recalls for you a special memory or visit to that lighthouse. Tell us about it.

Re: Daydream Believers #21421 06/17/00 05:14 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Cape Disappointment and North Head are the two that bring back fond memories of my trip to the west coast last summer. All the time I was planning the trip I was emailing Joann who lives in Astoria, WA and was one of the regular Wacko's last summer.

Sometime before the trip she invited me to meet her at North Head. Both of our families warned us that meeting someone we had only met on the internet was risky. We had a great time meeting, climbing North Head, traveling to and touring the museum at Cape Disappointment and sitting in a park to eat lunch while we looked up at the lighthouse. It was blustery day and we had big laughs as our lunch, which Joann had prepared, blew all over the place.

Joann is just one example of the great people you meet as a result of collecting HLs. I reflect on that trip and her hospitality often. Glad I have it in my memory bank.

Derith

Re: Daydream Believers #21422 06/17/00 09:31 PM
RRohweder Offline
Oh John,

You already know the answer to this question since I had the honor of living there for two years. The HL postcard will tell the story anyway.

Rich

------------------

Re: Daydream Believers #21423 06/17/00 11:16 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Guess I'd have to say Hudson-Athens because I was fortunate enough to visit last fall and to meet fellow wacko Mike, the Lightkeepter. And Saugerties too, as I was there the same day.

Re: Daydream Believers #21424 06/19/00 11:06 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great question John!
I believe if I were daydreaming about one of them it would be St. Augustine. That was the light that started this love. I was very tired, and had been through a lot in the last few years. I was on a 10 week sabatical from ministry, and had even considered giving it up. In the last few years we had faced cancer with my youngest daughter, My mom had died, Hurricane Opal destroyed our church, my wife had chronic fatigue syndrome, and we had just found out that my dad had terminal cancer. I was just plain tired. When the church sent us on the sabatical we wound up first in St. Augustine. After a few days there my wife was too tired but I went to St. Augustine lighthouse, and found new inspiration. I went to the top of that light, and will never forget the inspiration that I received that day. I felt the Lord let me know that "a light" was meant to shine in the "darkness" and "storms" of life. It was built to withstand them both, and so are we.. I thought how often had this lighthouse kept some ship safe in the storm or in the dead of night, and where would those ships be if the light had never been there? Only God knows.
We are all here to love and encourage others also. Where would they be if you weren't there? Only God knows.

Rusty

Re: Daydream Believers #21425 06/19/00 12:07 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Amazing Grace, Rusty. Thank you for sharing your inspirational lighthouse story.

Re: Daydream Believers #21426 06/19/00 12:07 PM
Art Offline
Ladies and Gentlemen, We have a winner.

What can I post after that? Thanks for the Monday morning uplift, Rusty.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Daydream Believers #21427 06/19/00 12:19 PM
T
TERRY BARFIELD Offline
T
Alcatraz,I never been to CA.,let alone SF.The history(although a bit morbid) and the surrounding locale are enough for my mind to stay busy.

Rusty,I hope you don`t mind,I printed out your entry.I wanted to share it with some people I love. Terry

Re: Daydream Believers #21428 06/19/00 03:03 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Good question John! Rusty's answer was certainly worht reading a couple of times.

I would have to choose Beavertail, RI. It is in such an idyllic setting and all the history that surrounds that Lighthouse would be worth exploring. I visited there last August and I cannot wait to go again.

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: Daydream Believers #21429 06/19/00 03:04 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Well, Rusty's inspiration is a very tough one to follow.

If I could roam any lighthouse it would have to be one in Maine. Remember the old soap opera Dark Shadows? I started watching it when I was nine years old and since then, I have always wanted to go to Maine. I thought that it must be the most romantic and mysterious place in the world. One setting was a fictional restaurant/bar called The Blue Whale and you could always hear a fog horn in the background.

So, I think my choice would be Portland Head. If I could go to a lighthouse that has not been made into a HL, it would be Seguin.

Joanne

Re: Daydream Believers #21430 06/19/00 08:36 PM
Brent Offline
Rusty....your words of inspiration under such circumstances have really had its effect on me. Thankyou, so much for sharing that experience.

I guess I'd have to say (after little thought) that it would have to be either Tawas Point (MI) or Old Point Comfort (VA). Both have afforded me a type of solice when I needed to be alone with my feelings. When I stop and think about it...some of the most important decisions that I've ever had to make have been at either of those locations at different times in my life. Both have a place in my heart that is difficult to describe....but they are positive fixtures that I wouldn't part with for anything in the world.
Thank God for these tools of strength....and "thanks" to you, John, for coming up with such a thought-provoking topic!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Daydream Believers #21431 06/19/00 11:56 PM
T
Tim H Offline
T
Thanks for your story Rusty. I too appreciated your enlightenment & hope that things have improved.

Tim H

Re: Daydream Believers #21432 06/20/00 01:15 AM
J
JULB Offline
J
I'd like to explore Ft. Jefferson

That would be so cooooooool!

JB
Re: Daydream Believers #21433 06/20/00 10:52 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Execution Rock. What a history!!! Sort of like visiting a cemetery on the water.

Re: Daydream Believers #21434 06/20/00 10:40 PM
RFoster Offline
I'd like to visit Split Rock. MJ and I have never been to the Great Lakes and hope to spend some time there in the not-so-distant future. I have a book about Split Rock that was given to me by a relative who lives near it. The stories of the hardships while trying to build it, the people who manned it and the wonderful pictures that I have seen with it standing proudly on the top of the cliffs are all so intriguing.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Daydream Believers #21435 06/21/00 12:20 AM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
Thank you Rusty, for sharing your story with us - it really was uplifting to see how God met your need, and I hope that you are still in the ministry.

My family and I were at Cape Hatteras Light last March and there was no one else there at the time. As we approached the light from way down the beach it was just the most majestic and awe inspiring sight - not a soul around and the pounding of the surf and that beautiful tower...a place to touch the heart.

Barb

Barb
Re: Daydream Believers #21436 06/21/00 10:08 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Thanks for the correction, Rock...I forgot that long bridge seperated the two states. One thing for sure, it is a lovely part of the world.
Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 06-21-2000).]

Re: Daydream Believers #21437 07/01/00 01:19 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Barb,
Just to let you know, I didn't quit the ministry. Only death could put that light out!

Rusty

P.S. Oh, Thanks to all of you in the forums who have given me some enjoyment this last year.

Re: Daydream Believers #21438 07/25/00 06:37 PM
S
smmrx Offline
S
I would have to say Hunting Island in South Carolina. It is back in a state park with a beach. You can't see the lighthouse until you are right at it due to all the trees. There aren't tons of people there and it is only 50 cents to go to the top. A nice place to just relax and spend a few hours reflecting on life and what it must have been like being the kepper there a long time ago.

Re: Daydream Believers #21439 08/11/00 01:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Though it is privately owned, sealed and locked, and probably dangerous as heck to get to, I would love to stand on Tillamook Rock. After reading the stories of all the hardship and incredibly hard work expended to establish it, I think it would be pretty inspirational to stand where those brave souls did. I think it would be wonderful seeing Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock from that vantage point!

On the east coast, I would like to tour Pt. Judith, as it was one of the most beautiful I have seen.

Ned

Re: Daydream Believers #21440 08/11/00 05:19 PM
Rich Offline
I would have to say S.E. Block Island. I've been there before and the sight from the cliffs is sooooo breathtaking.

Rich

Re: Daydream Believers #21441 09/08/00 04:52 PM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hadn't really given this most thought until I saw your post, but I do the mind wandering thing very often as I've visited about 12 lighthouses and always cherish the memories. Got a couple more coming up next week and again in October. The best of times is just standing in fronmt of my Harbour LIghts display case and letting my mind go its own course!! It's the best time of day!!!!!! :

"Pharologst" George

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-08-2000).]

Geo H.
Re: Daydream Believers #21442 09/09/00 12:36 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I was just looking over my collection, and I'd have to say Matinicus Rock. It would be an inspiration to be in the tower where Abbie Burgess performed miracles to save her family (and the chickens) while still keeping the lantern lit...all during a horrendous week-long storm. Not often you get to visit the site of an actual event that's become a legend.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users