Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dealers as Assets #21299 05/22/98 02:04 AM
P
Polly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Dealers can be a great source of information. I've noticed some dealers can talk for hours (have parking tickets as proof) about Harbour Lights while others aren't sure what retired means. If you find a knowledgeable dealer you're off to a good start. I found Scan Trends in San Francisco to be knowledgeable & friendly. Anybody want to share his or her favorite dealer with others?

Re: Dealers as Assets #21300 05/23/98 06:38 AM
C
Cutterman8 Offline
C
I totally agree with Polly. if you happen to be in the Boston area stop by Cabinet Source in Scituate MA. Not only very nice and knowledgeable people but they have an outstanding assortment for sale, some retired.

Re: Dealers as Assets #21301 05/24/98 08:29 PM
L
Lorraine Healy Offline
L
Hey Cutterman8, I was there today! Scituate is my home town, so needless to say, Scituate lighthouse is my favorite. HL did such a great job reproducing it.

I agree 100% about Cabinet Source. I keep trying to buy the lighthouse doorstops they have on the plate rail around the store, but unfortunately they're not for sale. They don't have a much stuff as Lighthouse Depot in Maine, but these folks are *into* lighthouses! Scituate is a really neat little town, but be careful if you go there, you'll fall in love with it and want to live there!

:-)-8-<=

[This message has been edited.]

Re: Dealers as Assets #21302 05/26/98 12:18 PM
V
Vermonter Offline
V
Sandy Bay Shop in Rockport, MA. Knowledgeable and friendly. A good assortment for such a small shop. Also Boston Pewter in Fanueil hall Mktpl. Owner is also a collector so knows what's what. Both places have competitive prices.

Re: Dealers as Assets #21303 05/26/98 06:05 PM
K
kandi Offline
K
I have found that the Lighthouse Depot in Well, Me to be great to deal with. They have a catalog that has HL and everything else to do with lighthouses.

I have 50 pieces in a year and a half and I have bought most of them through the Depot.

Good Luck in your searchs

Kandi

PS their number is 800-758-1444

Re: Dealers as Assets #21304 05/28/98 02:05 AM
J
Jeff Hix Offline
J
I haven't been as lucky as most of you with regard to finding a knowledgeable dealer. Most of the dealers I've bought from were very nice and happy to do anything to help. But I have yet to meet a dealer that knows as much about Harbour Lights as I do. I've been collecting for ten months and currently have 152 lighthouses, plus the ornaments, the two spyglass series, the thumbnails, and more than a few extras I bought to trade.

If you want to become a smart collector, do what I did - become a self-taught expert. It's pretty simple if you are willing to devote the time to it. A good start would be to do the following four things, not necessarily in this order:

1. Read every single page on John's web site. Make sure you don't miss any links that might be hiding some valuable information.

2. Buy Jim Rutherford's "Harbour Lights Survival Guide" and read it from front to back. Then reread it.

3. Join the Harbour Lights Collector's Society.

4. Once you get the membership kit, dig out the order form and order all back issues of the Society newsletter before they go out of print.

Once you've done all of that, if you want more knowledge, come back to this place. I have found that John is more than generous with his time and is willing to answer questions. He is also more than willing to listen to suggestions on ways to make this site an even more valuable resource for us collectors.

Oh yeah - sign up to be a Keeper too. :-)

Re: Dealers as Assets #21305 05/29/98 12:45 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In regards to kandi's post, I would agree. I have had very good luck with Lighthouse Depot.

Another service they offer is an auto-ordering plan. If you are interested in obtaining each new limited edition release, they will automatically ship the piece to you when it comes in and then bill your credit card.

This way, you will recieve each new Harbour Light with the same low number. In my case when I set it up about two weeks ago, #178.

Re: Dealers as Assets #21306 05/29/98 03:55 PM
P
Polly Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Agree with Kandi & Todd, Lighthouse Depot is a good place to look. I purchased several of my retired pieces from them.

Draw back of Lighthouse Depot - it's fun just wandering through LH shops.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,212 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users