Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21222 03/02/02 12:11 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I have tried several different glass cleaners when cleaning my curio cabinets. Even if I clean them twice, I still get a little haze on the glass in some areas of the shelves and mirrors.

I've tried Windex (works well but still some hazing), Shaw's Supermarket brand (lousy), Clearview (a wee bit better than Windex), and Glass Plus (seemed to work better than the others).

I use old bath towels, hand towels, and paper towels but seem to get the same result. I change towels often but this doesn't seem to make any difference. I still get hazing in some areas, directly related to the motion I use with the towel.

Could it be possible that the glass cleaners I'm using are leaving a residue on the glass that needs to be stripped off with something like ammonia? I really don't want to use anything that might damage the wood finish of the cabinet.

Could it be possible that when I wash the old towels a residue is staying in the material? Remember, I've tried papertowels that are new then thrown away after using and I still get the same result.

Maybe one of you might have experienced a similar problem and can advise me how to correct it.

Bob

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21223 03/02/02 12:36 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Bob,

I use Lense Crafters glass cleaner with apprx 1% vinegar added.This mix does very well.In most cases only fine dust particles from the paper towels remains and this is easy to dust off. I never clean the glass with the display lighting switched on as the heat from the lighting reacts with the cleaner and glass, in the immediate area of
the bulbs, causing smears etc.

Lonnie
Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21224 03/02/02 12:42 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I've seen serveral auto glass replaement companies used newspaper. I don't know if they're cheap but it seems to do the trick on auto glass. Don't have any curios yet, so no results on indoor furniture.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21225 03/02/02 01:01 PM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
My 89 year old father gave me instructions on cleaning glass years ago and its worked very well - no haze or residue. It's simply vinegar and water, rags, and newspapers. I don't have exact proportions, but I don't think they're too important. For windows I pour a few ounces of vinegar into about a gallon of water, soak and ring out a rag (again, material doesn't seem to matter much), and wipe down the windows. The mixture can also be applied with a spray bottle. I then dry the windows with crumpled newspaper - the black and white printed pages, not the slick insert paper. This doesn't leave any kind of film residue.

Kay

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21226 03/02/02 02:33 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have used newspaper in the past on glass and it worked very well! Hard to believe! I bought a poster and went to a do it yourself frame shop. They had me use newspaper and I couldn't believe how well it worked! I also would try the towels you can buy in any automobile section of the large dept. stores. (Walmart or Target) They are for glass cleaning on your vehicle and it works great on my new truck! Should work great on glass shelves I would think.

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21227 03/02/02 03:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Are the rags you are using washed or dried with a fabric softner (liquid or dryer sheet)?

These products contain WAX. That's how they soften the fabric. If that's what you are using it could be that the rags are leaving a wax residue.

(And if you use a fabric softner to dry your bath towels, treated towels don't soak up the water off your body since wax repels water.)

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21228 03/03/02 01:13 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob I think it may be the glass not what your using to clean it. I've been washing windows since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Have tried the vinegar and water, also the newspapers. One smells bad and the other works but turns your hands black. Have gone back to Windex, also store brands, and paper towels which work just fine. When doing windows I always finish with a dry towel and rub until there are no more streaks.

Now, I don't believe all glass is created equal. Some of my window come out fine and some don't no matter what. I have 3 small curios all the same and I have noticed the same problem that you are experiencing on some of the glass on just one of them. In addition the shelves that the HL's rest on in all of them are generally a bit more stubborn than the remaining glass. Maybe the surface that collects the most dust combined with something on the base of the HL's creates this. Perhaps you could try a stronger cleaner on the stubborn areas followed by a milder cleaner. Maybe even a bit of a solution of water with dishwasher cleaner. That's good for cleaning lots of tough stuff. Will let you go first and you can let us know the results, lol!

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21229 03/06/02 03:41 AM
Pharologst Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We use Glass Plus and PLENTY of paper towels. The key seems to be to change and turn the towels often to keep a fresh surface in contact with the glass. Ends up taking a couple of minutes per shelf and lots of towels, at least three per shelf!!!. Also, don't clean the shelves when they are hot from the lights!!

Also, it helps if one cleans the shelves on a regular basis rather than letting buildup occur over a yr+ timeframe.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 03-06-2002).]

Geo H.
Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21230 03/06/02 09:30 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A very special thanks to all those who left their "tips" about cleaning glass.

I used to leave the light on in the curios while I was cleaning so that could be part of the problem. The other is the use of old bath towels that are sometimes used in the cleaning and waxing of my vehicles. I guess I'd better stick with paper towels and newspaper.

Thanks again, all!

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 03-06-2002).]

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21231 03/08/02 09:57 PM
K
KT Offline
K
One more to consider - "Cinch". I'm sold on it.

------------------
Ken T

Ken T
Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21232 03/13/02 12:51 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Plain old H2O works for me, warm H20 on a clean rag, then polish slightly with a dry rag...works on the inside of my truck windows as well.

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21233 04/02/02 11:24 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, ... I tried using newspaper when I just cleaned the curios and all the windows in the house. I have to admit, it worked much better than paper towels or old bath towels. I would recommend you try using newspaper if you're having problems with streaks appearing after your window cleaning project is complete.

I used Glass Plus this time but might try the left over Windex on the next glass-cleaning project.

Bob

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21234 04/02/02 09:19 PM
easya Offline
Try "409 Glass and Surface" with newspaper- Your glass will sparkle. - Joe

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21235 04/03/02 12:18 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Now that you've got the right combination and your curios and windows are done Bob, feel free to stop by my place for more practice! I've got 10 bucks I've been saving I could donate for more supplies.

Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21236 04/05/02 04:43 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Mary Ann will never believe that I gave a cleaning tip, someone actually used it, and it worked. She'd be making me Sue's offer, if she knew!

90 - 63 Comet Convertible

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 04-05-2002).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cleaning glass shelves, etc. #21237 04/08/02 08:45 PM
Art Offline
I get low-lint paper towels from an industrial supply center. They work better than paper towels in that they do not leave all the little paper particles behind that seem to glow under halogen lamps.

I have also used newspaper, but a little of the ink is sometimes left behind, spoiling an otherwise nice job. I have also used blank newsprint (paper) that is usually available for free in large, nearly-empty (to them -- to you and I this means a 1-year supply, at least) rolls from your local daily paper's printing facility. Just go in and ask.

------------------
-Art

-Art

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users