cf-banner.jpg
Topic Options
#211113 - 11/21/18 01:05 PM Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI
flacoastie Online
Saint

Registered: 10/02/01
Posts: 6080
Loc: Ocala, FL 34471
Here is Harry's latest update email that he sent to collectors that have purchased in the past from him:

It has been a while since I was last in contact. I've been busy working on new ideas and private commissions. But before the busyness of this season takes over, I wanted to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very,
HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
As many collectors have pointed out, a new lighthouse sculpture from my studio is long overdue!
The factory who produced many of the Harbour Lights pieces and the three pieces I brought out, have made some very significant changes to their business. They switched their manufacturing exclusively to mass production of lower quality items. This is a great shame as they were industry leaders in the intricacy and quality of the products they made. It seems that there is not as much money in that business, as there is in mass Wal-Mart production.
Since then, I've searched all over the globe to find a workshop that would produce my pieces. The obstacles are that the sculptures require, as you know, a lot of detailed hand casting and hand painting, both to a very high quality. Adding to this challenge is that I only want 300 pieces made of each sculpture. The result was that almost 90% of the factories I contacted told me it wasn't the sort of business they wanted. My orders weren't high enough and there was simply too much work involved. The remaining 10% gave me quotes so astronomically high that they were in effect saying the same thing as the first 90%. No interest!
So what to do. The only thing I can do now is make the pieces in my own studio here in San Diego. Fortunately I do have some very talented people around me who can lend a helping hand in making this project a success.
I've been working on a sculpture of Barbers Point, Hawaii for the last couple of months. The sculpture should be completed before Christmas. I'll then make the production molds and start casting and painting in mid January.
As this piece is going to be made by a tiny team, the production of this piece might take awhile. We're shooting for spring 2019, but as this is the first piece that we're producing in this manner. that isn't set in stone.
As soon as I have some photos of the finished sculpture, I'll send them to you.
As always, my sincere thanks for all of your encouragement and support.
Best regards,
Harry

_________________________
Rich

Top
#211114 - 11/21/18 09:07 PM Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie]
Dave H Online
Saint

Registered: 01/01/70
Posts: 7823
Loc: Kokomo, IN
I think everyone realizes that whatever Harry produces will be first rate! As he and his team work thru the process I am sure they will develop as efficient a system as possible.

Wonder if Harry will ever share pictures of the assembly line process with us?

Top
#211116 - 11/22/18 06:24 PM Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie]
flacoastie Online
Saint

Registered: 10/02/01
Posts: 6080
Loc: Ocala, FL 34471
Next time I talk to him I will ask if he will take some pictures for us.
_________________________
Rich

Top
#211117 - 11/24/18 02:48 PM Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie]
DANIEL Online
Saint

Registered: 01/01/70
Posts: 3637
Loc: Florida
I like Harry's attitude.
Never say never , just keep searching till you come up with the solution. It will be great to see made in California lighthouses again.
Harry needs to stamp on the bottom of the Lighthouses made in USA. Rich you need to remind to do that. I don't think he did that on his Fresnel lens.
_________________________
DANIEL

Top
#211120 - 11/24/18 04:04 PM Re: Harry's Latest Update on Barbers Point, HI [Re: flacoastie]
flacoastie Online
Saint

Registered: 10/02/01
Posts: 6080
Loc: Ocala, FL 34471
Will do!
_________________________
Rich

Top

Moderator:  flacoastie 
Forum Stats
2,522 Registered Members
39 Forums
16,834 Topics
184,089 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,257 @ 10/11/17 10:52 AM
Who's Online
3 registered (DANIEL, Dave H, flacoastie), 540 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Paul A, nglewis92, jl, sn2bretired63, Cabby
2522 Registered Users