Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Still trying to understand WHY ! #210897 03/04/18 03:54 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess an old man really doesn't understand and needs a clear explanation of why we are averaging between 500-700 registered members and guests each day over a 24 hour period on the Forums, but, we only seem to average about 5 new posts each week.

Daniel and I were discussing why there is not more participation on the Forums especially because there are so many visitors during a 24 hour period. We could not come up with any reason except there is really no interest in Harbour Lights any more other then to sell collections.

I realize that guests/visitors cannot post and only registered members can start or add to a post. Registration is very simple and no personal information is required unless you want to add personal information. My question is two-fold:

1. Why don't more visitors register so they can post and add their thoughts/knowledge to our members database?

2. Why do our 2,504 registered members not post more often?

I'm sure that of the 2,504 members that over 3/4 of them have either passed away, lost interest in Harbour Lights or just don't have the time to post. Quite a few of the past active members probably now frequent the Facebook version of the Forums but there should always be a few extra minutes to also visit and post on the Forums.

I wish that we could get a discussion going so I could understand but there probably will be very few that will take the time to answer a old man's rambling questions.

Rich
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210898 03/05/18 04:48 PM
C
Charlie Offline
C
Hi, Rich

I’ll jump in with with a penny’s worth of opinion.

I’ve missed the thrill of the hunt of the truly exceptional HL offerings. Harry Hines is making a valiant effort to rekindle the offerings, but it will be a long time before he can build up the collection to where it may take off. It is a steep challenge and I wish him well, but for now my heart just isn’t engaged like it was with HL.

I believe many others share that diminished zeal for finding a new piece. Plus, the fallen prices and lack of demand for the HLs in individual collections is a real downer. I’m facing increasing encouragement from my better half to find other homes for my 600 plus pieces and without the robust market that once was, it becomes harder to justify having such a large collection.

I hope I’m a minority opinion, but I’ve tried to convey why the thrill of the HL community has faded (but not extinguished completely) for me.

Charlie

Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210899 03/05/18 05:15 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I have been a Forum member since the first day. I have seen many come and I have seen many go. What use to happen in the pass, Is that as older collectors would participated less, new collectors would move in and participate more. New collectors also would ask questions and give us veteran collectors a reason to log on and participate.

Now it is just a small handful of us old guys that are keeping the forum alive (Barely). Many collectors have left and we are not getting any replacements. Rich tells me stories of NEW collectors out there that are buying up different HL collectables, but not one of them are on the forum talking about their collections. WHY?

WE could use some new Newbies.

DANIEL
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210900 03/06/18 04:20 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I firmly believe that the majority of HLs collectors in the beginning were interested in an investment and not really that interested in lighthouses. Only a minority actually were interested in the product and lighthouses and collected them for themselves instead of as an investment or a way to make a few bucks during the "lighthouse fad".

Bill told me during a meeting we had to collect HLs because You love lighthouses and not for an investment. He said most collectors loose interest in an average of 10 years and that their collections usually are worth much less then what they originally paid, but, loving lighthouses and looking at you collection was the true investment and not what you can sell a piece for at a later time.

Most of the actual lighthouse lovers have either passed away or have downsized. Downsizing should not make you loose interest but I guess it does based on forums participation. As of this writing there have been 16 readings but only 2 collectors have participated, This is a truly bad percentage.

I also blame cell phones since everyone's nose is in them texting instead of taking the time to get on your computer and posting. Another thing is the new collectors not posting. Why would a new collector want to take the time to post about their collection when no one will take the time to answer his post except 3-4 loyal members?

Rich
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210902 03/09/18 04:27 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
How about all of the above and then some?

Charlie, Daniel and Rich all make good, and I think valid, points. I think though that there are other factors.

The recession that began in late 2007 and ran to early 2010 paid a significant role.

Even dedicated, passionate collectors had to think hard about spending money on things like collectibles during that time. And once that happened, once the auto-ships were cancelled and a releases piece or two were not in a collection, the thrill was gone.

My thrill was gone even before that. I simply had no room to display all the pieces I had. It occurred to me that I might be better off in the long term to just put the cash on a shelf in the closet instead of another boxed up Harbour Light. And I suspect I wasn't alone in that realization.

And then there are smartphones, eBay and Facebook. eBay killed the after market for collectibles. It gave great transparency to the markets and allowed many more eyeballs to view the wares that were for sale. It set prices, good or bad, and factored in demand from a much wider range of buyers.

Facebook made forums and chat rooms and the like irrelevant. These forums are a one trick pony, dedicated to Harbour Lights and lighthouses. Facebook is a one stop shop. Get your news, see what your friends had for breakfast, chat, video chat, etc. And you don't have to go looking, Facebook sends the new stuff to you. On your smartphone, which, unlike these forums, is always nearby.

I certainly wish things were different. For selfish reasons. I'd like to be able to sell the pieces that ate still boxed up on the closet shelf. And I'd love to add another historic Florida light to the little bit of space left on my display shelves. Harry is making replicas again, so the 2nd part of that might happen.

The first part, not so much. Shipping costs would be more than what I expect most of the pieces to sell for. If they would sell at all.

And a final thought. It may be my imagination, but it seems to me that the quickest way to shut down a conversation here on the Forums has been for me to post something. Hope that doesn't happen again.

Rick

Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210903 03/09/18 10:47 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks Rick but I don't think you are bad luck. Why don't you send me your list that you have for sale and I might be able to help you sell some.

Rich
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210907 03/12/18 04:03 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
On EBay I see collectors paying big bucks for the 550's( 2009-2011), The Fresnel Lens and the Skybound Balloons. So there are collectors out there.

My question was why aren't a few of them on this forum. All that ever participates on this forums are the past-time collectors that pass by once in a while to say, Hay

I Think Rick answered my question. Maybe the new collectors are using Facebook since it is the modern way of communication.

DANIEL
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210909 03/13/18 05:17 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
But if we are averaging between 500 and 700 visitors a day why aren't some of those 500-700 visitors joining and posting? They could also visit the Facebook site and maybe they are posting there and just looking at the Forums but are too lazy to join us.

Rich
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210911 03/13/18 04:29 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Maybe we could offer a door prize for the Newbie that register and post the most.

Last edited by DANIEL; 03/14/18 03:05 AM.

DANIEL
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210912 03/14/18 02:47 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just spent a rainy day cleaning and re organizing one of my curios filled with a mix of the Original Collection, some Southern Belles, and the last newest pieces...I still enjoy my lighthouses and the rare thrill of the hunt...it's been interesting to see how some of the last pieces created, which went for practically pennies during HL's "death", are now hot property...I recently purchased a Crooked River, FL for big $$$ and replaced a chipped New Canal, LA for little $ on ebay...so I'm still here...

Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210926 03/22/18 04:54 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By flacoastie
But if we are averaging between 500 and 700 visitors a day why aren't some of those 500-700 visitors joining and posting? They could also visit the Facebook site and maybe they are posting there and just looking at the Forums but are too lazy to join us.

Many of those stopping by may have gotten here by mistake. They may be looking for information on a lighthouse, (real or HL) or other topic and among the search results is a post from the Forums. They click on it, see that it's not what they're looking for, and move on.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Still trying to understand WHY ! [Re: flacoastie] #210931 03/27/18 10:04 AM
L
lighthouse seek Offline
L
hello!

Just want to say still read the forums and a lot of the "visitors" just bots searching through sites FWIW

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users