Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fresnel Lenes #210823 12/25/17 05:00 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
After 6 years of dormant Harbour Light collecting I started up again. I got hit by the Fresnel lens bug. Rich talked me into buying the Harry Hines Lens. When I saw how neat Harry's lens was, I took a good look at the Harbour Light lenses again. I have collected the first 4 with matching double digits and got bored with their design. When I recently reviewed the newer models I was impressed with the different unique designs. But Boy are they expensive.

OF all the HL to go back collecting why the Lenses?

1. The first reason is that most hl collectors love the designs and its uniqueness and makes then very desirable and valuable.

2. The Second big reason is that there is a practical end to having a complete set. Men collectors have a tendency to collect all of one type. Like all the Christmas pieces, all the Balloons and of course all of the Fresnel lens. Having a reasonable amount for a complete set Like 11 (12 counting Harries Lens) makes them desirable.

3. The third big reason is that most of Lens can be found. Not like The Christmas set which the last three Pieces are next to impossible to find. Not to Say that collecting Fresnel lens are not without its challenges like finding the HL695 St. Augustine, FL Lens and the HL806 Fastnet Rock Ireland Lens. But at this time I have seen every Fresnel on EBay this month and at least 8 if not 9 out of the 11 on Roland’s Web Store. I can’t say that about the Christmas pieces. Don’t get me wrong about collecting Christmas Lights, I have been thinking of finishing my collection on them next.

4. Time has proven that the Fresnel Lenses are not a collecting fad and has held out with its value just keeps climbing. Probably the nicest thing about collecting a full set of the Fresnel is that every one of the Lenses are valuable and each one are worth at least twice its retail with some worth a lot, lot more.

Let me know if I talked you into collecting the Fresnel Lenses.

DANIEL
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210824 12/26/17 02:49 AM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
when did harry hines come out with a lens ? I've havent seen one on his web site where do I find one. I have all 11 of HL lens now

Larry
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210825 12/26/17 04:08 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
The below announcement was sent out to collectors that purchased one or more of Harry's lighthouses. You would also have seen pictures and read this announcement if you were receiving my Harbour Lights Volumes. If you want to see pictures please send me an email at flacoastie@embarqmail.com and I will send some to you. If you want to order the lens send an email to Harry at Harry(harry@harryhine.com) or fill out the contact information on his website.

HHSL001 Toledo Harbor, OH Lighthouse Lens (cont.)

Therefore the piece is 100% American made, of 97% American made materials, by an Englishman!
"How hard could it be to make?" What a silly question. The answer is that it's bloody hard and takes a very long time. Not including the many hours of mould making and hand casting and fettling of each component, there are about 12 hours of hand painting and assembly.

The lens is made up of eleven separate castings. Each casting naturally shrinks and expands when it cures based on the outside temperature and the size of the piece. Getting them to fit together as a single flawless piece has made my head spin at times!
Take clear resin casting for example. On the face of it, it sounds simple. Take a mold, mix up some resin, pour it into the mold, let it set and voila, a lovely clear lens. Heck no, that's just not the case. Do that and it comes out cloudy and full of bubbles.
The real answer is to make sure that the humidity is not over 60% and the temperature is below 75F. Now very carefully and accurately mix the two parts of the resin together, now tint the resin with a pin prick of dye to get that lovely raw glass green hue. Next you have to pour the resin in to molds that have been preheated for two hours at 350F. Then, before the resin starts to thicken you put the molds into a steel canister, bolt the lid down and pump in high pressure air to shrink all the air bubbles. Now wait for 12 hours before the castings are hard enough to take out of the chamber, pop the molds under a heat lamp for a further 3 hours to finish the curing of the resin, de-mold the parts and start the process all over again.
From casting to fettling, painting to assembling, challenges presented themselves that I just had not foreseen. But finally I think I've solved most of them and am ready to reveal to the world some photos of my efforts. It really has been a learning process and to be quite honest a lot of fun.
TOLEDO HARBOR LENS DETAILS
Edition size: 300 or less. I'll retire this piece in a few months even if the edition size is not sold through.

Dimensions: 8 3/4 inches tall, 6 inches wide, 5 inches deep

Lighting: The lens is lit with an LED that is powered by 3 AAA. (There is no socket for an electrical adapter).

Price: $200.00
Shipping $ 19.50
TOTAL COST $219.50
As I mentioned above, if you are interested in purchasing the Toledo Harbor Lens, please send me an e-mail and I'll in turn send you an e-mail invoice.
Please don't feel that you need to purchase this piece to secure the continuation of your edition number on future lighthouse pieces. The guarantee of the same edition number is based on the lighthouse sculptures only. This lens is outside of that plan.
You've made it to the bottom of the e-mail. Sorry for rambling on so long and thanks for bearing with me. I can't really begin to properly express my gratitude to all the collectors that have supported me on this new venture, but what I can say is THANK YOU.
Very best regards,
Harry Hine
www.harryhine.com

Rich
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210826 12/26/17 06:47 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I knew I would stir up some attention when I mentioned the Harry Hines Lens.

I thought the other thing would stir attention was when I said all of the Fresnel lens where on Ebay this month.

Lkeasyliving

Did you collect then all when they first came out. or did you decide to collect them all at a later date like I did.

Last edited by DANIEL; 12/26/17 06:48 AM.

DANIEL
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210831 12/26/17 08:52 AM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
Purchased lens as they came out

Larry
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210836 12/28/17 11:11 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Just to let everyone know about Harry's Lens, Harry is hand making each and everyone of them from scratch and he is currently working on 5 of them at this time. I don't know if any of these five are sold to collectors but if you are interested in ordering one and the 5 that he is working on are committed, you should order as soon as possible and expect to wait several weeks for delivery. I just wanted to let you know about the possible wait, but, when you get it the wait will be worth it.

Also for the procrastinators, even though the edition will be limited to 300 pieces, Harry has indicated if the demand for this lens drops down he indicated he may retire the piece before it reaches the 300 limit so don't procrastinate too long.

Rich
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210837 12/28/17 02:47 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A review of the Harry Lens in many ways it is better than the HL lenses.

1. it feels like it weighs several times more than the heaviest of the HL Lenses. Even though it is a non-metallic molded resin, because of the weight it makes you think it is made of steel.

2. it is antiqued instead of shinny brass which looks more realistic. and old.

3. The biggest thing I like is that is one piece. I never cared for the two piece design.

Last edited by DANIEL; 12/29/17 05:40 AM.

DANIEL
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210838 12/29/17 03:53 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I must correct Daniel in the fact that the lens is NOT plastic. It is made from some sort of resin material. That is what gives it the heavy feel.

Rich
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210839 12/29/17 05:39 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks Rich
I made the correction.
I used Plastic as a loose general term.
(Anything not water, gas, wood or metal)
beanie

DANIEL
Re: Fresnel Lenes [Re: DANIEL] #210840 12/29/17 06:44 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Oh Ya
Other thing that makes the Harry Lens special is that it is hand made in USA

DANIEL

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users