cf-banner.jpg
Topic Options
#209906 - 02/29/16 11:33 PM update on the Reef Lights (Florida)
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko

Loc: Orlando, Fl.
Hi all,
after waiting four years the government now figured out that 4 of the 5 remaining Reef Lights that have NOT been transferred are NOT in the state of Florida. I could have told them that years ago. Any how Sand Key is in the state and will be released by the NHLPA (National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act) and perhaps soon. The Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation long ago voted to apply for the remaining 5 (Fowey Rocks was in Biscayne National Park and they decided they wanted it at the last moment). We have raised funds to get anodes on the Fowey again (no sign of the old ones) and had a replacement tension rod made and installed. So the corrosion has been arrested for now.
By the way the other 4 are Sombrero Key, Alligator Reef, Carysfort Reef and American Shoal. For more info visit
www.reeflights.org

#210108 - 06/08/16 01:20 AM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko

Sand Key lighthouse will be up this Summer. I am guessing July 1st.

#210229 - 07/16/16 01:16 AM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko

Recently we were approved by the Coast Guard to put anodes on Carysfort, Sombrero, Alligator and American Shoal. The contractor and myself will be taking a visit out to Carysfort this weekend to see how bad the barnacles and other growth are where we need to add the anodes and to take measurements. For those who don't know the anodes will prevent more corrosion of the cast iron (most of the lighthouse is cast iron or wrought iron.

#210239 - 07/17/16 06:00 PM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
The Cape Cod Store.com Online
Super Wacko

Loc: South Dennis, MA/internet
Thanks for the update Eric. Keep us posted. please.

#210633 - 08/09/17 05:46 AM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko

Well last year I waited and waited only to find out one again no lighthouse was being released (Notice of Availability)....fast forward one year the NOA finally was done and the Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation has put in their notice of interest. That deadline has passed, but the GSA won't tell me if another group applied. Anyway the inspection is August 31st so I may learn more then. For more information please visit our website www.reeflights.org or just email me at ericlighthouse@yahoo.com or call
407-341-7374

#210638 - 08/12/17 08:15 AM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
Maubejr Offline
Wacko

Loc: Vernon, Connecticut
Thanks for the update Eric! :)

#210759 - 10/23/17 06:14 PM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko

Hi all, we are the only group applying for the lighthouse. But we must still convince the Government we can maintain the Sand Key lighthouse.
Susan and I have put up $1,000 in matching money for any donations up till midnight October 31. It is a dollar for dollar match.
Oh and Sand Key did survive the Hurricane.

Edited by ericlighthouse (10/23/17 06:15 PM)

#210760 - 10/23/17 08:18 PM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
Dave H Online
Saint

Loc: Kokomo, IN
Glad the light survived the hurricane. Hopefully the FKRLF will be awarded it by GSA and will be successful in your care for the light.

#210761 - 10/25/17 08:37 AM Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse]
The Cape Cod Store.com Online
Super Wacko

Loc: South Dennis, MA/internet
Good luck Eric. I know that noone cares more for those reef lights than FKRLF. I encourage all who can to join us in helping them to acquire the funds necessary to convince the GSA that they can restore the light.

Moderator:  PFC 
Forum Stats
2,501 Registered Members
39 Forums
16,772 Topics
183,779 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,257 @ 10/11/17 10:52 AM
Who's Online
7 registered (DANIEL, flacoastie, lkeasyliving, The Cape Cod Store.com, RickJax, Dave H, TJB), 638 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
DavePaul, Homerenewed, jlanoue, rpal, roo
2501 Registered Users