Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Something I don't quite understand ??? #209960 04/01/16 10:40 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I have now been a member of the Forums almost 15 years and a moderator for the Welcome Mat Forum for approximately the last 10 years. There is something I do not quite understand about new members joining the Forums and never posting, either to acknowledge their welcome to the Forums when I approve them, to post a questions or to add their input to a post that exists.

First off I have no problem whatsoever with new members not posting, but, a collector does not have to become a Forum member to read all the posts so if that is the case why join if you are not going to post. I'm only asking this question because an old man like me has to keep his brain energized by asking questions and hopefully getting some answers so my brain can process them.

Oh well, the above question will probably never get a response so I will put another section of my brain to rest since it will not be able to analyze the reasons.

Rich
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #209988 04/28/16 08:58 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It's been almost a month and as I predicted there has not been one response.

Rich
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #209993 04/29/16 11:59 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Good question!!

Last edited by PFC; 04/30/16 12:00 AM.
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #209995 04/30/16 01:37 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich
Just because you don't get a response doesn't mean your post isn't read. Wow, I just did a triple negative.

I don't have an answer for you. maybe they are just googleing thru and forgot their password.

DANIEL
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210499 03/21/17 02:55 AM
Maubejr Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Whew...I know this post was started a year ago and I have only been a member less than a month but I am glad I responded to your welcome!!!!!! :)

~I will love the light for it shows me the way~
Marcel
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210556 05/28/17 04:44 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The problem with not taking the time to post (either to post a new topic or to respond to an existing post) is eventually collectors will stop taking the time to post.

As stated by a collector yesterday to me in a phone call "what is the use of posting when no one ever responds to my post"? This is a collector that still visits the Forums on a daily basis and use to post 3-4 times a day and now does not post at all.

I realize that avid HLs collectors are getting older and either changing their interests or "dying off" in several ways but new collectors need to learn and advance their knowledge about HLs. Where better to do this then the Forums??

I'll get off my soapbox now and have confidence that things will not change and new posts will not be started and I doubt if there will even be a response to this post (well maybe one from the collector I was talking to yesterday).

Rich
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210557 06/03/17 01:20 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
This site use to be a collectors tool. A place where collectors had their question answered and the latest info on the new HL were released. We had collectors discussions and it was a great place to buy lighthouses.

Now I feel it is a archive library for our memories and kept for the same reason we keep our old photo album.

Don't get me wrong.

I commend Rich and Dave for all the work they have done in keeping this forum alive and I agree that it should be continuously funded. Harry also doing a fine job of bringing back the old collecting spirit.

It probably would be easier to participate if I didn't loose my collector fire.

Ill tell you what Rich . I will try and post at least two times a week.

DANIEL
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210560 06/05/17 11:34 AM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Daniel,

With you on this. Also lost my collecting fire due to my curio is stuffed. I do love the web site and appreciate all that is being done to keep it alive. I even sent money back when requested to help find it. Also bought Harry's first piece and it is now in my collection but again cabinet is full and no place to put anymore. But i do love checking in the forums from time to time. Will try and post more.

Rusty

Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210564 06/05/17 02:16 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Daniel/Rusty,

Let's hope you come through on your posts!!!

Rich
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210573 06/13/17 08:04 AM
Maubejr Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Well I have ALWAYS had a love for lighthouses for many reasons. Unfortunately it was only recently that I came across my first Harbour Lights Lighthouse and I was literally blown away by the beauty and detail of the pieces. I was merely on ebay doing a search on Rose Island and there it was...Harbour Lights Lighthouse Rose Island #616. I was amazed at how beautiful this piece was. I had to have it. I have been to Rose Island lighthouse NUMEROUS times and it's one of my favorite places! I've only started collecting the Harbour Lights for about a year now and now I have about 60 of them! I definitely have not lost my fire for collecting which is why I joined this forum. I was hoping to connect with other Harbour Lights collectors and enthusiasts who had a passion for the Harbour Lights pieces! I was hoping that more people would be around but Rich is right, nobody posts or even answers posts!!! Maybe we can all change that! :)

Marcel
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210574 06/13/17 01:40 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
It didn't use to be like this. There were many responses to a post or question. As us older collectors die off in one way or the other there are not many younger collectors to take our place. Younger collectors need their money to pay rent, bills and eat while older collectors are downsizing and don't have the room to buy additional lighthouses.

In the pre-9/11 time period many collectors bought lighthouses as an investment and they are now seeing this was a foolish investment of their money now that they are trying to sell them to recoup some of their money.

As Bill Younger told me early on, "buy lighthouses because you love them and not to make money selling them later on.

My biggest question is with a average of close to 700 visitors a day why don't these visitors register and start posting instead of lurking in the background?

Rich
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210575 06/14/17 01:25 AM
Maubejr Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Very good point Rich! It's still great to talk about the lighthouses, share our favorite pieces and maybe even tell stories of adventures we have had actually at these lighthouses! I know one thing, I don't collect them to make money. I collect them because they are beautiful and I enjoy each and every one of them! :)

Marcel
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210576 06/14/17 03:43 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The point is if we are having between 600 and 700 visitors during a 24 hour period you would think that they would be interested enough to join and contribute.

I guess it is like everything else in today's world. Let the other people talk and we will just read and won't contribute at all. Reminds me of the people in my neighborhood (80 homes in immediate neighborhood) when the power goes out. Three or four homes will call to report the power out (I'm one of them) and the rest will just bury their heads in the sand waiting for others to take action.

Rich
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210580 06/14/17 08:24 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I know that more than a few out there will revisit an adventure while they gaze upon the HL model. Think about all the steps to Point Reyes, the bridge going to Point Bonita, climbing over the "beach" to get to East Quoddy. And, there are so many more that bring an adventure in just getting to the light.

Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: flacoastie] #210592 06/19/17 09:09 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I used to love to post on this board. Still do but don't have a lot to say. When Harbour Lights closed shop, took the wind out of my sail. Glad to see Harry has resurrected lighthouse models/figurines, but now funds are at premium for me. Still trying to hang in there.

Last edited by Lighthouse Loon; 06/19/17 09:10 AM.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Something I don't quite understand ??? [Re: Dave H] #210593 06/20/17 07:24 AM
Maubejr Offline
Wacko
Wacko
No question about that Dave! Looking at each piece brings back such great memories of places I have visited or ones I want to visit! :)

Marcel

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users