Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R.I.P., Rip #210471 02/27/17 12:35 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Though he has not posted much lately, anyone who went to a Harbour Lights event has a good chance of having met Rip. He was, shall we say, a rather gregarious individual. If he was around it was difficult to not be aware. Rip could be somewhat, ummm, boisterous at times. We would sometimes (actually, usually) tell restaurant servers that we had just checked him out of the institution for the weekend. Of course, it helped that Rip looked and played the part well. Rip loved lighthouses, Harbour Lights and the real thing, and traveled with me many times visiting them. Rip was very generous, donating to many lighthouse preservation projects as well as helping when he could. He and Sharon even made the trip from Florida up to Michigan City to work at the lighthouse with his fellow Hoosier Lighthousing Club members on several occassions.

Rip was a retired Navy Chief Corpsman (27 years) and worked another 25 years serving his fellow vets working at the VA hospital in Tampa.

Rip will be missed. Fair Winds and Folowing Seas my friend.

Rip's obituary

Re: R.I.P., Rip [Re: Dave H] #210472 02/27/17 02:29 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I concur whole heartily with Dave's description of Rip. I met and talked to him many times at Regional and Store Events in Florida and once you met him he was like a long lost friend that you hadn't seen for years.

I will never forget the time at one of the St. Augustine Regionals when I had to leave early to get home to watch the Gators play in the March Madness Tournament. I told him I was leaving early and he said to me that "You will miss the drawing for the gold piece". I said that it didn't matter because I never win anyway.

That evening he called me at home and told me my name was drawn and because I wasn't there they drew another name. I asked him if he was kidding and he never answered me. To this day I have never been able to get anyone to tell me if my name was drawn.

What a character!!!!

Rich
Re: R.I.P., Rip [Re: Dave H] #210473 02/27/17 03:45 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We lost another good man with a big heart. My sincerest condolences to Sharon and all who were touched by him. Heaven has gained a big personality!

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: R.I.P., Rip [Re: Dave H] #210476 02/28/17 01:33 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What a wonderful man with a big heart! Will remember Rip always. First experience was the Rip and Roy show or was it the Roy and Rip show at the Mackinac reunion, then the Nova Scotia/PEI trip, never a dull moment with Rip around. Sharon, you and yours are in my thoughts!

Melody
Re: R.I.P., Rip [Re: Dave H] #210478 03/04/17 03:11 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Dave
I appreciate you letting us know about RIP, so many people just disappear from the forum and we never know whats happened.
Yes RIP was a man you would remember and was usually sitting next to Bill helping him out with the signings at our Florida and Georgia events.

Rich
RIP might have been kidding you about winning. I do remember you leaving early at the st aug event but not you winning. But I could be wrong.

I always told my wive if anything happens to me is to call Rich and have him help you with what to do with my lighthouses and let the forum know that the only reason I am not posting any more is that I am not able.

DANIEL
Re: R.I.P., Rip [Re: Dave H] #210479 03/06/17 12:23 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. We will keep him, and his family in our prayers.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: R.I.P., Rip [Re: Dave H] #210549 05/02/17 12:01 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You may or may not know, that even though RIP looked fearless, he would not FLY to any event....but he had good reason. He had been in not one, but two airplane crashes (I believe both were while in the military). So if a Harbour Lights event was far away, he had to leave early to drive there (he may have taken a train, not sure).
He was very active in the Florida Lighthouse Association for many years, unfortunately he stop coming.
He will be missed.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users