Next Thread
Print Thread
update on the Reef Lights (Florida) #209906 02/29/16 07:33 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi all,
after waiting four years the government now figured out that 4 of the 5 remaining Reef Lights that have NOT been transferred are NOT in the state of Florida. I could have told them that years ago. Any how Sand Key is in the state and will be released by the NHLPA (National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act) and perhaps soon. The Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation long ago voted to apply for the remaining 5 (Fowey Rocks was in Biscayne National Park and they decided they wanted it at the last moment). We have raised funds to get anodes on the Fowey again (no sign of the old ones) and had a replacement tension rod made and installed. So the corrosion has been arrested for now.
By the way the other 4 are Sombrero Key, Alligator Reef, Carysfort Reef and American Shoal. For more info visit
www.reeflights.org

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210108 06/07/16 09:20 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Sand Key lighthouse will be up this Summer. I am guessing July 1st.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210229 07/15/16 09:16 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Recently we were approved by the Coast Guard to put anodes on Carysfort, Sombrero, Alligator and American Shoal. The contractor and myself will be taking a visit out to Carysfort this weekend to see how bad the barnacles and other growth are where we need to add the anodes and to take measurements. For those who don't know the anodes will prevent more corrosion of the cast iron (most of the lighthouse is cast iron or wrought iron.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210239 07/17/16 02:00 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the update Eric. Keep us posted. please.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210633 08/09/17 01:46 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Well last year I waited and waited only to find out one again no lighthouse was being released (Notice of Availability)....fast forward one year the NOA finally was done and the Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation has put in their notice of interest. That deadline has passed, but the GSA won't tell me if another group applied. Anyway the inspection is August 31st so I may learn more then. For more information please visit our website www.reeflights.org or just email me at ericlighthouse@yahoo.com or call
407-341-7374

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210638 08/12/17 04:15 AM
Maubejr Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks for the update Eric! :)

~I will love the light for it shows me the way~
Marcel
Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210759 10/23/17 02:14 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi all, we are the only group applying for the lighthouse. But we must still convince the Government we can maintain the Sand Key lighthouse.
Susan and I have put up $1,000 in matching money for any donations up till midnight October 31. It is a dollar for dollar match.
Oh and Sand Key did survive the Hurricane.

Last edited by ericlighthouse; 10/23/17 02:15 PM.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210760 10/23/17 04:18 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Glad the light survived the hurricane. Hopefully the FKRLF will be awarded it by GSA and will be successful in your care for the light.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210761 10/25/17 04:37 AM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Good luck Eric. I know that noone cares more for those reef lights than FKRLF. I encourage all who can to join us in helping them to acquire the funds necessary to convince the GSA that they can restore the light.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210872 01/12/18 03:06 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi all,
finally got some good pictures of American Shoal and it HAS received damage. All the glass from the lantern room is gone and 2 panels of the roof are half gone.
I am checking with the Coast Guard and the Florida National Marine Sanctuary to see if they will let us do a temporary repair while they decide how to transfer this lighthouse and 3 others.
It is sad that we not have 3 lighthouse in really bad shape and Hurricane season is less than 6 months away.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #210873 01/12/18 03:07 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The pictures are on our facebook under Reef Lights.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211149 01/09/19 05:06 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation is still waiting for an answer on Sand Key Lighthouse. We put in an application of more than 100 pages. The NPS had sent it up to the Secretary of the Department of Interior, however, he resigned December 31st and with the government shut down, who knows how long it will be.
NO repairs were made to American Shoal and they did NOT give us permission to make temporary repairs either. I was asking myself the other day, will there be anything to save once the government makes a decision. All but Fowey Rocks was suppose to be done in 2013. The other 4 are suppose to be up soon, but it looks like the government shut down is holding that up too.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211172 02/15/19 04:33 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hi all,
the National Parks Service says we do NOT qualify...so far no reason why. Meanwhile Sand Key Lighthouse will soon be up for auction. Don't understand how the NPS can say we do not quality when they take structures and have no money for them and do not even start to preserve them. The only work on Fowey Rocks has been paid for by the F K R L F and F L A (Florida Lighthouse Association). I have asked what the minimum bid will be for the lighthouse with no house. Answer should be soon. I can not start to tell you how disappointed I am, they won't give us a shot!

Last edited by ericlighthouse; 02/16/19 11:41 AM.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211175 02/16/19 08:46 AM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Eric,
Nothing should surprise any of us when dealing with today's government departments. Not much is making sense these days, no matter which side of the aisle you're on...

Roland Babineau
Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211176 02/16/19 11:44 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
You won't believe the work that goes into an application and then they sent back more questions, a statement that was NOT true and then make you wait almost a year to tell you do NOT qualify with no explanation.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211178 02/17/19 12:15 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
It would be fair to presume that if you do not meet some unknown qualifications that you would be told what they were. Kind of like double secret probation, I guess. Roland's earlier comments are certainly accurate.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211180 02/21/19 10:18 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I have sent a second request to the National Parks Service. If I don't hear back by next week, I will call them.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211226 04/16/19 11:33 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Forgot to update earlier. They wrote back 2 things, one we did not have enough experience with NHLPA (National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act) lighthouses. To me experience is experience, seems like they could not come up with a real answer. Besides the Coast Guard would never let us on any of the reef lights and Biscayne National Park rejected our offer to remove lead paint from the keepers house, then fix it up. I am certified to handle lead paint by the State of Florida. The park preferred to wait for a grant to remove all of it, plus asbestos panel, but never got he money. Even then they said MAYBE we could work on the keepers house....so how do we get experience with NHLPA lighthouses??? All the south Florida lighthouses were transferred under other programs. Oh the employee also stated we were still NEW...18 years old folks, only one year newer than the law itself...such BULL.
So now we have to bid on it. The auction has already started and will most likely end in late May. So if you were ever going to donate, NOW IS THE TIME. www.reeflights.org or send check to F K R L F, 1067 Drift Creek Cove, Orlando, FL 32828
The last 4 are up for free transfer and we have put in our letter of interest for all 4, that deadline ended last night. Now to see who else is interested and see if perhaps a joint application would work.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211227 04/17/19 02:42 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
It does sound like a bunch of lame excuses they have made up. Almost like they want to sell it instead of giving it to a group that would preserve it. Are they going to require bidders to meet the same requirements to be qualified? Bet not.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211228 04/17/19 11:23 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
NO the bidders do NOT really have to qualify except to make a $5,000 deposit in order to bid. The winner can NOT change the historic nature. For example they can NOT paint the lighthouse PINK, because it was never that color. Also, no requirement to start restoring it and of course it becomes private property, the new owner does NOT have to let anyone on.
The history of what I have read, private ownership can be a curse or a blessing. Cape Florida was owned by a private owner who built the sea wall that saved the tower. The family that owned West Rigolets did nothing for 50 years and it washed away (the legs needed repair). So private ownership is a gamble.

Last edited by ericlighthouse; 04/17/19 11:24 PM.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211230 04/23/19 11:03 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Bid for Sand Key currently at $16,000. There are 2 bids. We are just short of funds to increase the bid, as it needs to be at least $1,000 higher. I am working on that. Go to www.reeflights.org to donate (we have PayPal so any major credit card or debit card it can take.)

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211250 05/01/19 10:29 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We also have a Go Fund Me campaign. Search for FKRLF and we are the one with the picture of Sand Key Lighthouse. Or use the whole name and go straight to it.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211256 05/03/19 11:00 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We are so close to having enough to bid on Sand Key Lighthouse. Just $220 needed. I have sent out several messages to my members. At one point we needed over $1,000.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211271 06/18/19 12:17 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Well back from vacation for 3 weeks and still no deadline for the auction. We had the lead for 30 days then got outbid by $3,000 so we needed $4,000. We have that now, but waiting to bid when the deadline is announced. Hope it isn't a bidding war, as we can only fight for a little bit.
You would think a lighthouse without a house would have no bidders, except a lighthouse group.

Re: update on the Reef Lights (Florida) [Re: ericlighthouse] #211293 07/17/19 09:33 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Well folks the auction goes on and on and on. I finally bid $21,000 to re-take the lead and to test the waters so to speak. Later that day Bidder #4 out bid us again. At that point no one was on automatic bid. Shortly after that a new bidder, #5 outbid #4 and less than a second later bidder #4 was in the lead again (now on automatic bid)...so now the bid is up to $24,000....amazing. Still no deadline. To donate go to www.reeflights.org and click the yellow section at the top of the page, if you want to use a credit card or PayPal. If you want to write a check, send it to: F K R L F, 1067 Drift Creek Cove, Orlando, FL 32828

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users