Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Care of your Fresnel lens #20999 01/15/01 10:55 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The lucky collector has one or more glass display cases to show off the beautiful HL products. But I am sure many other collectors display their collection in other locations like nice bookcases, mantels, table tops etc.

The tip on using a large soft bristle make-up brush for "dusting" off the lighthouses works very well. But this is not going to be the answer for the lens. This lens seems to be made of a very good quality resin/plastic. When plastic items get dusty, especially a coating of dust from sitting quite awhile, as when owners are gone on a long trip, even a dusting off never makes them look as pristine and sparkly clean as when received new out of the box.

Washing them off won't be the answer either, as water spots are a danger, especially in an area hard to reach to wipe dry.

Here are three options for protecting your free-standing lens yet keeping it visible for viewing, outside of a glass curio cabinet:
1. Buy a glass display dome. Doll collectors use these to keep dust off of fragile doll clothing. Pricing these have shown that a dome may cost more than the original lens however. Be sure to measure the diameter of the dark base that the lens sits on so that the dome will accommodate it. They are somewhat hard to locate. Try a doll shop or doll collectors magazine for ads on displaying.
2. Certain styles of clear glass vases in a larger size will easily fit upside down over the lens. These can be found on many discount store gift shelves and in reasonably-priced department stores. I have seen some this week for only $6 at the Christmas Tree chain of shops in New England. We tried one and the lens was still easy to view.
3. The cheapest of all, and maybe for only a temporary cover until a better one can be found, is a plastic cylindrical box with a removable cover. We found them at Christmas, filled with silk-fabric ornaments of all colors, in craft stores such as the Michael's chain out East.

What might the ideal solution be? If HL would include a glass dome made to fit the particular size of the lens --- for all future Fresnel lens which are hopefully being produced in a series. If they included such a case as they did with the nice glass cases for the Anchor Bay ships, it would make the lens displays look just that much more attractive.

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: Care of your Fresnel lens #21000 01/16/01 12:18 AM
Brent Offline
Excellent post, ladylightkeeper. I bought a glass dome for my lense on Saturday. It was alittle more than I would like to pay ($25.00) but it looks nice and is probably well worth it when considering that its protecting an $85 LE that, I feel, will continue to increase in value. Normally I make my own glass enclosures but, in this case, the dome just seemed more appropriate.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Care of your Fresnel lens #21001 01/16/01 12:47 AM
Torchbearer Offline
The glass dome is a very nice idea. I would be in favor of a HL provided glass dome for my Fresnel, as long as it's an option. Otherwise, the lens' will rise in price in comparison with the ABs.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

[This message has been edited by Torchbearer (edited 01-16-2001).]

Re: Care of your Fresnel lens #21002 01/16/01 11:55 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ladylightkeeper, you've suggested something in your post I've wanted to suggest for a long time, and just have'nt gotten around to it. I have four display cabinets that I got from IKEA that are perfect for displaying lighthouses. They are all glass on four sides, I think there called DETOLF. With a few of the acrylic risers you can get from collectibles shops, we can fit about 20 H.L.'s in each one.
Anyway, my real point is Hobby Lobby sells a large glass dome, about 8" diameter and about 12" tall, that I have my Lady Liberty and Fresnel in sitting on top of each of the cabinets. The cost of the dome and base is about $30.00 and they work out great for expanding your display potential. Eddystone would also be a perfect fit in one of these!

Mike

Re: Care of your Fresnel lens #21003 01/16/01 05:19 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Mike: Thank you so very much for posting this information. I know I am sure interested in finding out more about these domes, as I will bet many other Forum members will be also.

I am not familiar with Hobby Lobby. Could you post a website address here if they have one; or at least an address and phone number to contact them?

If HL comes out with more lens styles, as I have been told, then we may need domes of varying sizes if the lenses are made to any kind of scale in comparison to not only their Order but to this existing Fresnel product.

Thanks for your help.

Barbara
Keeping the Flame in New England

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: Care of your Fresnel lens #21004 01/16/01 09:01 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I guess I should have explained better, Barbara. Hobby Lobby is a big craft store, located unfortunatly mostly in the mid-west. The farthest east they go is Ohio, so that would be a heck of a drive from New Hampshire! They do have a web site, www.hobbylobby.com, and it looks like they have on-line shopping. I've also seen the same type of domes at Michaels craft stores, if you have any of those around you.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Cana Fan (edited 01-16-2001).]

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,213 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users