Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? #209693 05/31/15 12:19 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
you have probably watched or heard about the show on television called WHAT WOULD YOU DO where normal people are made aware of a situation that is wrong or illegal put on by actors. They interview real people who have taken action or completely ignored what went on for their reasons they did what they did.

I was talking to another collector the other day and we were discussing what we would do if lighthouses were ever to become a popular collectibles again and Harbour Lights were to ever start producing lighthouses again. Would we start collecting again?

My answer was as long as I was assured that the collectible lighthouse that was produced was extremely limited in quantity (300 to 1000), was in a price range of between $75.00 to $100.00, only 3-4 LIMITED EDITIONS were produced each year, they were sold direct or only had 2-3 dealers involved, I could get my same number for each piece, and they were of the same quality as the original Harbour Lights lighthouses I would probably start again. The other collector indicated that they could not see wasting any more money on something that would not maintain it's value as his collection is only worth about 25% of what he has invested and he was not going to go that route again.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO if Harbour Lights actually came back into business and they actually learned from their previous mistakes (overproductions such as 10,000 of each piece, too many issues a year such as 25 pieces, Open Editions, too many different products, etc.)? Would you start buying again? Inquiring minds in the sleepy, hot, dry, Horse Capital of the World would like to know. If you haven't posted anything for a while this is your chance to make your feelings known.

Rich
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209695 06/01/15 12:26 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm in... I'd pick up collecting them again right away as soon as there available.

The value of our Harbour Lights are not what we can sell them for...but how much they mean to us. Mine are priceless !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209696 06/03/15 11:45 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I would finish up my south of the border collection. If the ones that I already purchased from HL went up in value, I would start selling off all my northern, great lakes, and California lights, except for the first 17.
I would only collect the southern lights and those I have visited. would not collect Christmas pieces or Fresnel lens, unless they were extremely limited in production.

DANIEL
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209699 06/05/15 02:05 PM
akmn Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Our love of HL has never died. We still display them proudly and add missing pieces from Ebay occasionally. I would echo Rich's comments in keeping quantities low and prices under $100.00 I would add, that the community, whether it be on the forums or Facebook should be allowed to steer which lighthouses are produced so that they would actually sell!

We miss the thrill of opening a brand new lighthouse and the would welcome the chance to start collecting again! We don't collect as an investment but as a love for the product!

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209703 06/08/15 08:24 PM
Rusty Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Would like to start collecting again. If they cranked it up again I would be in.

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209728 06/19/15 03:06 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes, as long as I didn't have to commit to buying every piece, which is the way I was collecting before)

Last edited by Cana Fan; 06/19/15 03:07 PM.
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209731 06/21/15 02:33 AM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would start buying the line again, especially if they had smaller edition sizes and fewer releases in a year. I like the Christmas, Lens and Anchor Bay subsets and would be interested, if they are a part of the regular years production, maybe only one of those a given year in rotation.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209732 06/21/15 11:47 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Considering the Forums is not as active as it used to be there seems to be a strong indication that there are still people interested in lighthouses (Harbour Lights). Would a company like Spencer Collins make it again if they started producing? Probably not as they never had the strong showing that Harbour Lights had. Would a new company make it that has never produced lighthouses before? It's anybody's guess.

Rich
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209735 06/22/15 08:42 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
It depends. Certainly not everything again. Maybe a piece here and there that fits into the small display I've managed to maintain. But there are too many boxes full of Harbour Lights on the top shelf of the closet to consider a full-fledged return to collecting.

In my view, today old Harbour Lights have great personal value to their owners, but pretty much no monetary value. If they become available again I hope that the caveats mentioned in this thread are taken seriously by the new producer.

Rick

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209761 08/02/15 04:54 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hmmmm, only two or three dealers. Would one of them be The Cape Cod Store.com? I'd be interested, that's for sure. If we could just keep them off Ebay though...

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?? [Re: flacoastie] #209787 09/17/15 07:54 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well for one, I would request LLOM for the reef lights as none were never made (despite my begging for at least one or two). And of course Sombrero Key Lighthouse LE the only reef lighthouse never made. And yes I would buy some (still underemployed after 8 years).

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users