Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R.I.P. Bob Ott #209160 01/17/14 03:48 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A long-time member of the Collector Forums, Robert "Bob" Edward Ott passed away at age 72 at his home in Piscataway NJ on December 19.

His 'handle' on the Collector Forums was "bahbaht"

Bob was a long-time collector of Harbour Lights and attended most if not all of the Family Reunion events over the years.

Oct 28, 1941 - Dec 19, 2013

Piscataway, N.J. – Robert Edward Ott, age 72, formerly of Racine, Wisconsin, passed away of natural causes at his home in Piscataway, NJ on Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013.

Bob was born in Oshkosh, WI on October 28, 1941 to the late Edward J. and Sadie I. (nee: Putman) Ott. In Racine Wisconsin, he attended St. Edward’s Grade School and graduated from St. Catherine’s High School in 1959. Bob was actively involved in the Boy Scouts of America, attaining the rank of Eagle Scout. Bob served our Country in Korea with the United States Army.

Bob was employed in the telecommunications industry for his entire career. For many years, he lived and traveled all across the nation to teach communications personnel new and improved methods of the industry. As a music enthusiast, young Bob played baritone with the Racine Boy Scout Drum and Bugle Corps, and went on to play in the NFL Baltimore Colts Marching Band.

With a devout Christian faith, he was a faithful member (while in Racine) of St. Edward Catholic Church - where his mother, Sadie, taught school for many years. Bob accumulated an extensive collection of Harbour Lights lighthouses and toured many across the country. He also enjoyed fishing with his brother.

Surviving are his brother and sister-in-law, Donald and Carole Ott of Rochester MN; nieces - Jennifer Ott and Heather Kelly; and nephew, Michael Ott.

A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Edward Catholic Church, 1401 Grove Avenue, on Monday, Dec. 30, 2013 Interment, with military honors, followed in West Lawn Memorial Park. In memory of Bob, memorials to Mayo Clinic for Diabetes Research have been suggested.

Attached Files
Ott_Obit.jpg (81 downloads)
Re: R.I.P. Bob Ott [Re: Webmaster] #209161 01/17/14 05:46 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Sad news. I remember Bob often talking about his fishing trips in MN with his brother. He did enjoy his lighthouses, both HL and the real thing.

Thanks for posting, John.

Re: R.I.P. Bob Ott [Re: Webmaster] #209162 01/17/14 06:42 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So sorry to see a Forums legend pass. Bob will be missed.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: R.I.P. Bob Ott [Re: Webmaster] #209163 01/17/14 08:08 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Even though I had never met Bob in person, I talked to him almost weekly for many years. Bob said that he didn't have the energy to talk that much anymore during a conversation we had in October. I called him one more time after that in November to wish him Happy Thanksgiving. I tried calling him about the time that he passed away but there was no answer. Now I know why. I will miss his friendship.

Rich
Re: R.I.P. Bob Ott [Re: Webmaster] #209168 01/20/14 01:06 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I am sorry to hear of Bob’s passing. John I appreciate the memorial you posted for Bob.

I also never met Bob in person, but in the past have, communicated with him with emails and on the phone. A few more things about Bob on the collecting end. He was one of our foremost collectors having the most complete collection of Harbour Lights second only to Paul. Bob was a very Humble and courteous collector, before he would bid on a lighthouse on eBay he would email Rich and me to make sure we didn’t want to bid on it.

Bob helped me with attaining several hard to find collectables Like the Jordon Point and the Cheboygan Crib free gift, asking only for Shipping. I remember him saying with a chuckle, “It didn’t cost me anything so just send me money for the shipping”. The Cheboygan was going around $200 on eBay at the time. Bob passed this generosity onto new collectors, I remember a Newbie telling me that he sold her a lighthouse and she received it before she even sent the Check.

Bob was a forum moderator and also a team member of the Harbour Lights Forum Collectors Exclusive. I remember trying to convince the Team to vote for the Jones Point River Light to be our first exclusive. But Bob came out and said “We can not use it, it reminds me of My Uncle’s Chicken house”. No need to say the Jones Point was never brought up again for discussion.

The thing I like the most about Bob that whenever I would get in a friendly debate on the Forum he would always take my side. I have missed him since He hasn’t posted in three years. But now it is final I will miss him even more.

Last edited by DANIEL; 01/20/14 01:13 PM.

DANIEL
Re: R.I.P. Bob Ott [Re: Webmaster] #209172 01/23/14 12:21 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm very sorry to hear of Bob's passing.

I never met Bob, but he seemed like someone I would have gotten along very well with.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: R.I.P. Bob Ott [Re: Webmaster] #209286 05/18/14 06:35 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
A nice friendly man who I remember well!

LONG ISLAND BOB

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users