Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20775 11/01/98 09:53 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
So that you don't have to scroll through 46 posts to get to the latest on this topic (or print 23 pages), I've closed the first and opened this second thread.

For those who need to refer to the first thread, click here -> http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000109.html

John - Congratulations to Bill for starting out with a simple posting and ending up with one of the longest threads in the history of the Forums. November is here, Bill. You can post again. 0 :>)

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20776 11/01/98 07:17 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Gosh...I'm honored. My original posting sat unnoticed for awhile and I thought this whole argument (friendly, of course) wouldn't transpire.

By the way, I hope Jim Rutherford is reading this because I think it will make excellent fodder for his next Harbour Lights Survival Guide and newsletter.

I'm curious. What are some of the most successful lines of limited edition collectibles through the years? I'm NOT looking for people to write out ads for these other lines and I'm not looking for ideas on what other lines to collect---I don't have room! But what else is out there that has passed the test of time...and do they issue the equivilent of GLOWs?

John, if this creates a minefield of potential issues with Harbour Lights, go ahead and strike me from the record.

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20777 11/02/98 08:11 AM
Art Offline
OK Tim. One more round? (John, I never could take a hint!)

>But the brute functioning of the supply/demand curve doesn't really care *why* one does or don't make a purchase.<

I agree completely. But the curve is a mere *slave* to the wants and needs of the consumer. The curve is *not* their omnipotent master. And the curve behaves even more slavishly as we move along the continuum from commodity to luxury item. I know HL junkies think that HLs are necessities (as opposed to luxuries), but I think we can all agree that HLs do not fit the textbook definition of a commodity.

And, since you ask:

>Tell us how you really feel! [g,d&r]<

I think that we should install a communist regime in Washington. Then they can take away all of the bourgeois' LEs and smash them with hammers. They will nationalize Younger and Associates. Then they can up the production of GLOWs to satisfy the entire proletariat! Free GLOWs for everyone! Utopia!
LOL(Tongue *very* firmly planted inside my cheek).

Finally, to answer poor Bill's original question:

> Would something please retire?

I will retire from this thread, before the title takes on new meaning.

Thanks Bill, for starting this stimulating exchange. And thanks, Tim for being a capable and willing jousting partner. I'll give you the last rebuttal. Someday, we really must get together. I think we'd get along famously. Too bad Planet Fresnel is so far away from Jackson, TN!

TTFN

-Art [If I want a GLOW, I'm gonna go out and buy one. Viva la consumer!]

[This message has been edited by Art.]

-Art
Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20778 11/02/98 09:30 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
***ATTENTION STUDENTS OF
THE HLA SCHOOL OF COLLECTIBLES ECONOMICS***

All of the mid-term theories from the reading selection "Would Something Please Retire" by Bill Harnsberger have been presented and debated. It's time for the school's final exam for this session. Please read the final exam rules before submittal:

(1) All final exams must be posted by 11/15/98 at 12:00 PM Eastern time
(2) All final exams must contain 50 words or less (excluding signature). All words will be counted except "a, the, I, or, and" or "coquille". No other exceptions. Posts over 50 words result in disqualification. No talking during exam.
(3) One entry per person. Void where prohibited. Multiple posts result in disqualification.
(4) No editing of posts, if you screwed up...too bad. Edited posts result in disqualification.
(5) All tests will be graded by Mark Wagner: Poll Manipulater of the "Coquille For GLOW '99" committee, with final veto power from the Course Moderator St. John of MUDD.
(6) Test results and Valedictorian selection will be posted by 11/25/98 by the Poll Manipulator.
(7) Veto power (if deemed necessary) will be posted by 11/31/98 by the Course Moderator with explanation of such decision and Valedictorian replacement selection.

Class Valedictorian will receive a *very* special rare HL item of undisclosed value from the secure vaults of "The Harbour Lights Museum of Marketing Memorabilia and Goodies Of Obsolete Displays" (HL...mmmGOOD), hand selected and shipped by the acting curator Mr. Watson just in time for Christmas! WOW
(An individual HLA member museum. Not open to the general public. Not associated with Lighthouse Keepers, author Bill Harnsberger, Harbour Lights, National Center for the Elimination of Barney and Beanies, or B.C. Younger & Associates, Inc.)

The Exam:
Please answer the following in 50 words or less:

Anyone else wonder where the retirements have gone? What happened?

Creativity, accuracy, spelling, insanity, following the rules, and convincibility are among the grading criteria. Other criteria as determined necessary by the Poll Manipulator.
Good Luck...you have begun. Post below
.........................................................................................................

Brought to you by the Harbour Lights Museum of Marketing Memorabilia and Goodies Of Obsolete Displays
Rod Watson: Acting Curator

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20779 11/02/98 12:39 PM
R
Rich Boyes Offline
R
There are too many choices for our HL dollars: retired LEs, new LEs, retired GLOWs, new GLOWs, spyglass sets, ornaments, etc. vs. not enough obsessed wackos. As new collectors catch the HL disease, the situation should sort itself out and the retirements will pick up. Slow down the new releases.

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20780 11/02/98 01:18 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I'll tell ya what happened. Harbour Lights only released ONE piece in 1998 that was worthy of the word 'wow.' Not just wow---I mean WOW! That piece was Cape Florida, which has retired according to predictions. Everything else was okay, but not great. They have to be GREAT to sell.

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20781 11/02/98 01:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bill, you will never be accepted into the "Inner Circle" with comments like that.
The *True Believers* are those who, without fail, post notices in the Forum that follow the theme of: I just saw the new HL ___ (fill in the blank) and WOW!!
It could have been a comparatively mediocre light among the rest of the HL line, but to the True Believer, *every one* is a WOW, how great, spectacular, - - you get the drift.

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20782 11/02/98 03:50 PM
P
PamBrian Offline
P
Gee, Bill......

What about Tillamook ? (and I refer to the topic YOU started entitled "Tillamook-WOW !)

Actually, in reading Bill's posts, I'll have to give him credit for speaking highly of ANY lighthouse outside of Maine and in particular ANY lighthouse of the Pacific Northwest.

(BTW, this doesn't count as my 50 word essay, does it ?)

Regards,
Brian

(PS to Bill: just joking)

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20783 11/02/98 05:16 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I mean pieces that both collectors and non-collectors, en masse, say WOW! to. I love Tilly. But the masses probably aren't as enamored of it as I am. And yes, Maine rocks the lighthouse world.

Okay, back to Rod's assignment everyone...let's not get sidetracked.

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20784 11/02/98 10:05 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
If I want a GLOW, I'm gonna go out and buy one. Viva la consumer!

Wasn't it Feurerbach who said "You are what you collect." ;->

Rgds,
Oswald Spengler

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20785 11/02/98 10:24 PM
Art Offline
Hey Tim,

:-x

mrmph rphn mpn mfrmph!

Keeping my mouth shut as promised,
-Art[retired]

-Art
Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20786 11/02/98 11:23 PM
P
Polly Offline
P
Rod, I assume the 328 word posting you just produced will NOT count towards your <50 word essay! ;-)

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20787 11/02/98 11:47 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
The Curator, Poll Manipulator, and Moderator are ineligible from participating, Polly.

PS:
Only one post per person: 1 student is disqualified already

Max.50 words: 2 additional students are disqualified already

No editing: 3 more students have possibly wasted their entry without really answering the question

Rules are rules! only one possible passing grade so far from 8 posts (unless The Poll Manipulator likes the 3 partially wasted exams or the Moderator St. John of MUDD evokes his veto power). Following rules is a criteria. You must be thinking on your feet at all times class! This *IS* the HLA School you know. One of the few elite Beacon League schools in the nation, we have to keep up our strict standards.

-TheCurator

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20788 11/04/98 12:02 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Gosh - in fear of having Rod's ruler whack my keyboarding fingers, I must say touché to his authoritarian rules. If we are to be truly noteworthy examples of the Harbour Lights School we must have some semblance of order with rules to follow and I respect Rod for clarifying that.

Unfortunately, I may never make it as a noteworthy student as I have a tendency to break the rules. Hence this moderator, places a second posting since the rules were clearly defined. Since this posting is over 50 words, I did another bad thing. Sorry Rod, my compulsion to bypass a clearly defined rule is surpassed only by my desire to purchase Harbour Lights!

I must mention however, the rules are excellent! IMHO

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20789 11/04/98 08:59 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." The method of retirements has seemed to work prior to 1998, so why all the hubbub NOW!!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20790 11/07/98 12:27 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
.retirements of lack a causing thus ,releases limited new the up picking before pieces retired older up pick who collectors new many too are there and ,otherwise or limited ,G.L.O.W. , releases new many too are There .answer theory multiple the support I , retirements the all to happened what of question the to answer In

-Todd [Looking at the problem from a new prespective, namely back to front]

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20791 11/07/98 05:20 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
Before Thomas Point was released were there any Wow Pieces or were they simply just better known lighthouses?

Because of advancements in materials and construction, I think its tough to compare an earlier piece with a newer piece. In terms of refinement and difficulty factor, I'm not sure any earlier pieces match up well with new ones. Does it make sense to see 'WoW' models as relative to their release period?

I agree with you on Sturgeon Bay and Ex Rocks, with Chicago Harbor and Grand Haven close behind.

What Jim Rutherford. calls 'the Rock and the Rocket' (Alcatraz & Cape Canaveral) certainly made an impression in early '96. Each sold out in less than 160 days, though they hung around on the retail market for much longer.

Also in '96, Pemaquid for its size and number of buildings, and colonial Scituate with its textures and colors were important releases for their day. Each of these took longer to retire (694 & 765 days respectively).

For '95 Big Bay Point is definitely a Wow piece; also for '95 I think someone might make a case for Pt Arena.

From '94 Big Red (retired in 514 days) and Montauk (313 days) are Wow pieces and both these continue to impress me today. Barnegat may also be on many WoW lists - it retired in just 370 days.

In '93 St. Simon's won a major award for HL and it remains one of my favorites (745 days). Its a WoW. Won't surprise me if several of the Belle's are on folks WoW lists.

SE Block Island is one of the real standouts among early models in '92. Definitely in my WoW category. (retired in 867 days)

I'm sure everybody has their own WoW list for each year.

Nowadays it seems expectations are higher and HL may be hard pressed to continually out-do themselves. And I'm not sure they need to take this approach. Earlier markets had a more leisurely pace and the collecting was just as enjoyable then.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20792 11/13/98 08:17 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
A Harbour Light has retired.

Baby Billy got his wish.

This thread may now be closed.

Re: Would Something Please Retire - Part Deux #20793 11/30/98 03:39 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hold on!! The thread can't be closed yet.

It seems the curator, poll manipulator, and course moderator, the very ones who stressed following the rules, have not heeded their own words.

The mid-term results for the students of HLA School of Economy have not been posted as of the specified date of 11/25/98.

I have heard rumors of a student protest in the works. Has hard earned tuition money that could have been used for HL purchases been wasted? Have school officials taken the money for the purchase of a Coquille LE? Enquiring minds want to know.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,505 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users