Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20673 10/25/99 01:40 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I was just asked, tongue-in-cheek, on another thread, if there was going to be a wacko reunion in 2000 to present the wacko pins. Unfortunately that couldn't happen, due to distances, unless HL decides to have their next big reunion in 2000, which sure wouldn't give us much advance notice for vacation planning.

But --- I think it would be a great idea at the next HL reunion, which I think will be in 2001, to really have a wacko get-together. It would be fun to attach faces to names and have a chance to socialize at maybe a special dinner or event right before the official reunion starts--- like what happens at the annual Dept. 56 convention in Minneapolis for all their collector clubs.

So, my question here is: how many of you wackos will be on that phone line trying to get registered for the next big HL reunion? And how many of you would like to have something special in the way of an event or dinner ---pre-convention; or if time allowed, within the convention time block, to enable us to meet and socialize?

Here is another question. Would you like the convention to be a few days longer? --- so that there could be a greater variety of activities, like a few lectures and slide lectures on lighthouses, their histories; lighthouse preservation efforts going on around the U.S.; a fun clinic on how to create a diorama setting for some of your lighthouses; a talk by some well-known authors of lighthouse books and so on. There are HL members themselves who are qualified to put on some of these programs, plus bringing in pros and authoritative sources from outside.

This set-up of repeated programs and events is what makes such a success for the 1200 attendee photo conference we attend in MA each July; and the huge 3000 attendee Nat. Model Railroad convention each year. Each of these groups repeat their programs and events three times; so everyone can see and do all.

A longer convention would also allow for trips and these programs to be put on more than one time, allowing for more leisurely enjoyment of the convention and not squeezing in so much within one day, which left many people exhausted last time. But also such a repeated event rotation would make space for many more HL members to attend and avoid those deep disappointments I heard over those who couldn't get registered for RI.

What do you think on these three questions?

ladylightkeeper
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20674 10/25/99 04:10 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes, I will try and attend the next HL reunion and I would love to get together with other WACKO's, but the only way this is going to be possible is for HL to severely limit the number of attendees at the next reunion...Providence was ruined by the fact that there were too many people crammed into one hotel...in between bus/boat tours, I tried to get around and meet fellow collectors/e-mail acquaintances but it was extremely difficult with 800 people stampeding past each other to get seats at breakfast, lunch, and dinner...not to mention the elevators...San Diego was a joy because of the smaller group, shorter lighthouse tour, and more time spent in the hotel hanging out w/each other and talking about our common interests.

As for a longer event, I think a long, 3-day weekend is sufficient...arrive Thursday eve, and have all day Friday, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday.

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 10-25-99).]

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20675 10/25/99 05:09 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
You may not realize it, but you have just given excellent reasons WHY the reunion needs to have more days to it; and why it would be nice to have the actual reunion meals and programs in a larger convention style facility that can allow enough room to do all and see everyone without being sandwiched into tight spaces. It would then also allow for members to reserve at their choice of motels/hotels with a price structure they can afford.

I disagree that the numbers should be even further limited. At 700 you had a lot of disappointed people. It is hard enough for an average collector with just one home phone line to get registered. I am hearing of members who had 4 phone lines to work with at once. That is not too fair either. If registrations are further limited, there will be many wackos who also won't be able to attend. Maybe you will be one of them; maybe me also. Wackos will never be able to meet each other, under those limiting circumstances. Such exclusivity should not have a part in an organization like this where we all want to become friends, meet, and work toward common lighthouse goals. Hopefully HL realizes this and is working now towards a way to let anyone who so wishes, attend a reunion.

ladylightkeeper
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20676 10/25/99 05:37 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
If space is really that limited, the Dolphin Hotel in Orlando can handle at least 3,000 seated at tables at one time in their ballroom. The company I used to work for held it's holiday party there.

There's also the convention center which can probably hold many more. It's across the street from the Peabody Hotel.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-25-99).]

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20677 10/25/99 06:12 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee, Rock, I attended the HL Reunion in Providence and didn't feel it was ruined in any way. I thought it was extremely well run and very organized. I didn't stay at the hotel so I can't comment on elevator problems. I met everyone of the people I wanted to that I chatted with, dealt with, or just recognized their names. I had a wonderful time!

I don't think it was necessary or even possible to meet and chat with the 750 or so people who attended the reunion. Granted we were all there for a reason but I don't expect to go and meet everyone in my favorite restaurant when I dine nor would I expect to go and meet everyone at a concert I might attend, even though we all share the same interests in food, or music, or whatever.

My memories of the 1998 Harbour Lights Reunion will always be that it was exceptionally well run and wonderful experience I will treasure for many years to come.

That's just my humble opinion on that subject.

Bob

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20678 10/25/99 07:32 PM
LamarB Offline
Bob described my sentiments exactly. Our very own St. John organized several bus trips to tour more lighthouses both before and after the Reunion. We saw plenty of 'em. Plus, Kim and I spent some time on our own afterwards seeing even more. We stayed at the hotel and the elevator situation was a nuisance, but just a temporary delay that we used to meet and chat with other HL collectors we'd not previously met. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

HL did a masterful job in all respects.

We had a wonderful, memorable time. I'll do my best to be at the next one, regardless of where it is or its format.

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20679 10/25/99 08:41 PM
RezmanDale Offline
I've not had the pportunity to attend any of the events as yet. I look forward to the next one with great anticipation. I hope that I hope it's real soon and that I don't have a conflict like I did with the Atlanta event. I don't care if its crowded or not so long as I can be there. I am sure there are many hotels like the one that Joanne mentioned in Orlando that could easily accomidate 1000 or more. If at all possible I'll be there.

Dale

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20680 10/25/99 09:33 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint

Next time - Amphicar tours of land and sea lights!! Get your life insurance paid up!

www.amphicar.com

0 :>) St. John of the Internet

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20681 10/25/99 10:29 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
My best half and I had very good times at both of the HL reunions. After reading this thread and asking myself why that was, I believe two things contributed the most.

The first was the 'family' atmosphere that HLs and the Youngers worked so hard to create. They made anyone and everyone feel welcome.

The second was the chance to see lighthouses. In San Diego it was New Point Loma. A light that isn't normally available for an 'up close' viewing. In Providence it was many lights that aren't popular and well known. Lights that would be easy to miss as one passed through Providence on the way to Cape Cod or Maine.

HLs challenge is to hit a home run again for the third reunion, while accommodating as many attendees as possible.

Rick

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20682 10/25/99 11:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This "Wacko" would surely try and get her reservations in early enough to get to attend. Since I have not been before I would try to enjoy any and everything that was offered.

I agree with Joanne, Orlando would be a great place to have the next one. I could commute.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 10-25-99).]

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20683 10/26/99 12:06 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
We felt the events and overfall relaxed pace of the San Diego reunion were just right. The Providence reunion tried to do too much in one day and there was not same opportunity to enjoy time with people. The open atrium atmosphere of the SD hotel was more conducive to small gatherings and room hopping.

We didn't feel like we had to follow an itinerary at San Diego - Saturday afternoon with the exhibits and model painting was eventful, but you could do it leisurely. The visit to the Point Lomas and the box lunch was very nice and you had plenty of time to walk around and take your time. Three days was good.

I'm not sure about the best way to accomodate all the people who want to attend, but given a choice I'll take a smaller crowd over a larger one. If the reunion is gonna have 1000-1500 attendees, then I'll vote for two seperate reunions. Let HL figure out how many people are interested and hold as many 750 person reunions as needed to accomodate. Less likely to feel like sheep herded around. Also prefer a smaller city and not a downtown setting. Two smaller venues open the possibilties to many more locations.

__
/im

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20684 10/26/99 12:22 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ladylightkeeper--I would always be ready, willing, and able to attend any HL reunion. In a previous post I wrote that I had 4 phone lines trying to get in for the 98 reunion. It still took a long time to get through to HL. That shows you how much I wanted to go! I'm sorry that you didn't think it was fair to use 4 lines(we run our business from our home). I'm sure there are many others out there that used more than 1 phone to call with.

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20685 10/26/99 01:24 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We had a great time at Providence. The elevator problems were a nuisance as Lamar points out, but having everyone together made up for it. Harbour Lights did a wonderful job at running the events and I met most of the people that I wanted to at the reunion. St. John not only ran the pre and post-reunion bus trips but also set it up so that most of the wacko's were together on the morning boat ride which did give us a chance to interact. He also made up special name tags for the "HL.com crew" which helped us identify each other. I would prefer one large reunion so that everyone is able to see all their friends at one place. Perhaps a full three days would give us a bit more time to get together but the smaller groups could still continue with pre and post events. The wacko's who attend can make plans within the events to get together as a group to share the fun. So, Harbour Lights, anytime, anywhere-I will be there.
Jim
Johnson

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20686 10/26/99 02:27 AM
D
dwood Offline
D
I'm two posts short of a wacko (or is it 2 cards short of a full deck?) so I'll venture to participate. I wasn't fully cognizant at the time of the first reunion, and the second was awfully far away. I'd love to attend one, and think I will plan to do so next time.

Dixie

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20687 10/26/99 09:57 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Dixie,
I think you have that backwards? You have 2 cards 'left' in your full deck! Ergo "WACKO"!!
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20688 10/26/99 02:36 PM
RFoster Offline
Both the San Diego and Providence Reunions were wonderful, even though each was different.

I feel that adding an extra day to do things together (like the workshops in San Diego) would give more time to be together with our HL Family, some who we only see at HL Reunions. Of course lighthousing should be part of the agenda, and HL did an excellent job of coordinating this in Providence, by land and by sea. I hope that there can be a plan worked out which could allow everyone who wants to attend the opportunity to do so. MJ & I spent two hours and 15 minutes with two phone lines going before we got our confirmation for the last one.

All of the HL family of collectors should be allowed to attend. Imagine having a family reunion and having to tell a relative that they couldn't attend as you didn't have enough room.

I'm sure that there will be time for pre & post reunion tours (we had a great time on them in Providence) and also time for wackos to get together.

I know that wherever the reunion is we will try our darndest to be part of it. We have no doubts that it will be any less than fantastic, just like the first two that Harbour Lights planned.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20689 10/26/99 05:58 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Having been unable to attend either of the first two reunions, I am more than ready to try and make it to my first.

It matters not if it is three days or five. It matters not where it is. It matters not how many people attend. I will try my best no matter what to make it to the next reunion.

-Todd

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20690 10/26/99 09:54 PM
drwhok9 Offline
I would like to attend the reunion however it would need to be within a 1 to 1 1/2 day drive from Detroit, Mi. I have had many problems in the last couple of years trying to get anywhere by plane I would prefer to drive. As some of you know access in and out of Detroit Metro Airport on Northwest is difficult at best and impossible the rest of the time. Also to carry clothes and my camera is much easier by van than plane. Also driving is much more flexible and allows for spur of the moment travel changes - arrive earlier or stay later to visit with people and/or lighthouses.

To badly rework a well known quote - Make it within driving distance and I will come.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Jim
Dr. Who ?
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20691 10/27/99 12:26 PM
L
LINDA Offline
L
I also agree that the Providence Reunion was very well run, even though we were very busy-we had to be in order to see all the lighthouses we did. If they make the next reunion in Orlando there should be plenty of time to socialize since there are no lighthouses there.

I also think I may need to voice my opinion a little bit more so that I can obtain Wacko status (if you ask my kids they will tell you that I'm already there). I would hate to miss out on that special gathering.

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20692 10/27/99 11:03 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
"... will you try to attend the next HL reunion??"

ROTFLMAO

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20693 10/27/99 11:14 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Providence was wonderful, and the before and after bus trips were fantastic and well worth the extra time. I definitley plan on being at the next HL Reunion....God Willing!!! Oh, I love the idea of having it in sunny Florida, although the Great Lakes area offers some beautiful lights!! CAN'T WAIT no matter where it is......

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20694 10/28/99 12:36 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I will do my best to get to the next reunion/ gathering. This post is #49. Dennis

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20695 10/28/99 10:13 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Of course!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20696 10/28/99 05:33 PM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
Will try to attend, need to enlarge capacity so more can attend.

------------------
Bob

Bob
Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20697 10/28/99 09:55 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
First read this a while ago and don't remember all the questions posed (am too lazy to go back looking for them!)

I would try to attend. Agree it would be hard to canvas beforehand as the location would affect many a decision.

Kids/family? N/A

First come, first served, althought it would be nice if all could be accomodated. A location that afforded a choice of hotel, as I would not spend $150 per night.

Re: wackos: will you try to attend the next HL reunion? #20698 10/28/99 11:10 PM
RRohweder Offline
Tough call while I have two daughters still in college, but I would certainly try. Someday I really want to meet you folks. Living behind the Redwood Curtain prevents lots of things.

Rich

------------------

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users