Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Broncos sign Peyton Manning #206461 03/21/12 10:53 AM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I am sure all you football fans have heard the news that the Broncos signed Peyton Manning to a 5 year $96 million contract. welcome cheers For the sake of my beloved Broncos I hope this deal works out.

I also wish all the best to Tim Tebow as right now all local news media is saying he will probably be traded. He is a fine young man and quarterback, but apparently just not what the Broncos need in as far as his skills sets at this time.

There has been some speculation that the he would be kept, as it would be an excellent opportunity for him to learn from one of the finest QBs ever. However, others said he didn't learn how to pass while in college, why would we think he would learn to effectively pass in the NFL. Based on what I have read he had done a number of things people said he would never be able to do...I'm not counting him out.

It remains to be seen what this young man can do, and if the Broncos made the right decision. Can Manning take the Broncos to the Super Bowl? What do you think?

Melody
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206462 03/21/12 11:06 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
First of all, you are welcome. Peyton has been a joy to have as our franchise quarterback, not only on the field but more importantly off the field of play..

Quote:
excellent opportunity for him to learn from one of the finest QBs ever

Not really a good mix as Peyton will take most if not all the reps in practice, a good example of learning behind Peyton is Curtis Painter who was a decent quarterback in college at Purdue, but after spending several years as Peyton's backup when he was needed last year with Peyton injured, he was awful!

It will be really strange in August to go to a Colts game and not see Peyton there.. Enjoy having him in Denver as he is special, maybe not as good as he was but still much better than the rest.. As to him being one of the finest ever, I think he has been the best ever, hopefully for you guys in Colorado he still has something left in the tank..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206463 03/21/12 11:46 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry for your loss Paul. It was a good and memorable run although not as good as Eli.LOL groupwave

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206465 03/21/12 02:03 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Eli has had a better head coach during his career except for the Dungy years (probably equal) plus a 100% better defense Eli's whole career.. It will be interesting here now with a defensive coach as head coach for Luck or RG III..

Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206466 03/21/12 03:46 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I, being a Gator and Tebow fan, think Denver getting rid of him would be the best for him. I have never been an Elway fan from the git-go and now like him even less because of the way he criticized Tebow the entire last season. I will be the first to admit that Tebow has a long way to go in his fundamantals, but, I have never watched a player with the determination and will to win that Tebow has. Sometime the will to win outdoes the talent. I just hope that Denver does trade him to a team that needs his kind of determination. Another point is that Denver had better get a better pass rush defense then they have or else Payton won't make it through a year of the kind of sacks that Tebow took last year. And for those of you that say it was Tebow causing the sacks because he couldn't get rid of the ball in a timely manner, what about Kyle Orton, the quarterback that was starting before Tebow took over. He was constanly being sacked and injured over the past 2-3 years that he played for Denver. I also think that it was a "thing" with Elway that he was afraid that Tebow would break most of his records being the "non-quarterback" that everyone accused Tebow of being. At least if Manning breaks these records Elway won't feel as much shame.

Enough said on the Denver/Elway/Manning debaugle and future seasons for winning a Super Bowl. The papers down here in the Ocala/Gainsville area have Tebow going to one of three teams (New England, Miami or Jacksonville). I personally hope Jacksonville as he is a hero in this area (even more then Danny Wuerffel)and should bring the crowds back to the Jaquar games. If it is New England, he has the coach that was instrumental in drafting him 2 years ago there as an assistant and Bill Belichek knows Billy Donovan and Urban Meyers/Will Muschamp of the Gator basketball and football teams. He spoke at Florida giving inspirational talks to the players. If he goes to Miami it will also be ok since they have a new owner that is willing to spend some money to upgrade the Dolphins. All of this is a possibility and may never happen, but, I hope that he goes somewhere instead of staying at the "Elway Domain".

Rich
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206467 03/21/12 06:48 PM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
And the latest news is:

The Broncos trade of Tim Tebow and a 7th-round draft pick to the New York Jets for 4th- and 6th-round picks has been put on hold Wednesday afternoon due to language in Tebow's contract which may nullify the trade.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter: "Tebow has $5 million worth of recapture language, meaning Jets would have to pay back money to Denver ... (making the deal) complex. The same money issues in Tim Tebow's contract caused complications for Jacksonville trying to complete (the) trade."

If the Broncos' deal with the Jets falls through, the St. Louis Rams could emerge as a potential trade partner.

Melody
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206469 03/21/12 08:38 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Typical JETS fumble! Local Sports radio crucifying them for not reading the contract before posting the news on their Facebook page. tongue

Yes, I'm still a Jet & Giant fan. LOL

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206471 03/21/12 09:14 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Our local stations out of Gainesville (UF town) and Orlando have both commented that Jacksonville is now back in the tunning. They also both reported that according to NFL rules it is not legal for a team to request money for a player when he's traded.

Rich
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206472 03/21/12 09:32 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Man, just one more reason for us in new England to hate Peyton Manning. Thanks to Peyton we now have to put up with more of this Tebow mania talk. Just when we thought our ears could have a break for a few months, it's BAAAAAACK!!! SHEEEEESH!
frustrated

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206473 03/21/12 11:13 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
You guys up in New England hate the wrong Manning brother. I understood it was Eli that beat your team. You should have had Brady's wife on the roster and you might not have lost. Only kidding!!

Rich
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206474 03/21/12 11:55 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would still rate Peyton over Eli.

I think it's the 4 MVP's !!!

Don't think Eli has won one yet.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: Lighthouse Loon] #206475 03/22/12 12:51 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Originally Posted By: Lighthouse Loon
I would still rate Peyton over Eli.

I think it's the 4 MVP's !!!

Don't think Eli has won one yet.

Just 2 Super Bowls & 2 super Bowl MVPS, Loon!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206476 03/22/12 11:50 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Truthfully, any fan up here who can look at things objectively has a ton of respect for both of the Mannings. Just wish Eli would have picked another team to go off on. Twice.
Then again.. How 'bout them Jets????? whistling

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206477 03/22/12 11:52 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Super Bowl wins take a team to win. Eli was just fortunate to be at the right place at the right time.

Just ask Dan Marino & Fran Tarkintan !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206478 03/22/12 12:17 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Super Bowl wins take a team to win.

You are correct plus a coach, Jim Caldwell got out coached in New Orleans big time otherwise Peyton would have two Super Bowl victories like Eli.. And as Loon pointed out 4 MVP awards which is unprecedented in the history of the NFL.. The Colts probably would have been in a 3rd Super Bowl if it wasn't for Caldwell calling a timeout at the end of a playoff game with the Jets giving them time to score and win the game, I will always remember the look on Peyton's face when Caldwell called the timeout, priceless!

Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206479 03/22/12 01:34 PM
MelJB Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Rich, I have to politely disagree with your assessment as to why Elway wanted to get rid of Tebow because he feared Tebow would beat all his old records. Elway (and the Broncos organization)wants to win and win now and think they have a much better chance with Manning. All NFL teams are out to win and therefore make more $$. Its a business. Unfortunately, Tebow is not a good fit for the offense Denver wants to run. I like Tebow, and have enjoyed watching him play. He has heart and integrity, and I like that. He made watching the Broncos enjoyable but sometimes painful, those last minute wins...

I totally agree that part of the issue with Tebow not being able to throw was due to insufficient protection by the offense, but please correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure you will lol), but I thought I read/heard that Tebow was not very successful at passing in college? I don't follow college ball so don't know if what I read/heard is accurate. Now if statistics are reviewed, I agree that Elway did not perform very well in his early years either, it took development. But is appears the Broncos organization doesn't want to wait for that development.

There are many many Broncos fans that are sad, angry, disappointed that Tebow was traded. Some claim they will give up their season tickets, others say they will never watch/attend another Bronco game. A lot of emotion over this situation.

Does moving Tebow back east with the Jets make seeing him play more available for his fans there (those that don't have DirecTv NFL Ticket service)? If so, there's a silver lining for his fans.

Melody
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206480 03/22/12 03:13 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
else Payton won't make it through a year of the kind of sacks that Tebow took last year

First of all Rich it is PEYTON, PAYTON is the coach suspended for a year in New Orleans..

Second, Elway doesn't care about records only winning another Bronco's Super Bowl..

Third, Tebow's only win over a plus .500 team was the Pittsburgh game with Big Ben barely able to walk..

Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206481 03/22/12 04:18 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
A win is a win and excuses are only for a loss. The Broncos had plenty of them before Tebow took over and turned their first round draft pick situation into a winning season and into the playoffs. I know this for a fact because the Browns have been making excuses for their losses since Bernie Kosar was traded to Dallas.

Payton(Peyton) is a great football player and deserves the awards he has won. I want everyone to understand I think he did the above board and graceful exit as the Colts got rid of him. I think it was a cheap shot not to give him another year to see how he played. It's all in the $$$$$ for pro football. He was also very gracefull in the way he tried out for other teams and was a pro all the way. That being said I still think that Eli is a much better all around quarterback then most people give him credit for and will probably end up beating the records that his brother has established.

Now for my least favorite quarterback of all times John Elway. He has been, in my mind, a spoiled kid from the first time he was drafted by the then Baltimore Colts and refused to play for them and threw a fit because he felt they were not competitive enough. They finally released him to Denver and he was all smiles like any other spoiled kid. He has not changed, again in my observation, at all and now controls the football operations and will find a way to get what he wants at all costs. Should Manning get injured, what backup with any experience do they have now that they got rid of Quinn and Orton? Elway is getting his way using the excuse that he wants another Super Bowl and Manning is the way to do it. That may be true and only time will tell.

Tebow is definately not a Manning(either one) and he is not anywhere near to being a pro style QB at this time, but, either was Tarkenton. Bradshaw was not a fast starter either. A true QB was not have to be in the mold of a Manning, Brady, etc. but they have to have time to develop their own style. Tebow was not given that time and sure didn't have an offense line or pass receivers even if he had had the time. On the question of Tebow not being a good passer in College. He was average as a passer and had a team behind him that both protected him and could catch his passes. The QB that he relieved (Chris Leak) and the one that relieved him (Joh Brantley) wre classified as pro style QBs and Leak was never drafted and I doubt if Brantley will be drafted. They were good QBs but had no drive to win like Tebow. Tebow was instrumental in winning the 2006 National Championship as a freshman, won the Heisman as a solphmore, was the driving force in winning the 2008 National Championship as a junior and if he hadn't injured himself as a senior in 2009 and missed some games the Gators may have gone on to win another National Championship(lost to Alabama in SEC Championship and Alabama won National Championship). Tebow also broke just about all the records at Florida held by other great Florida QBs. For a QB to not have a good passing arm and not be pro football material, he must have something going for him and that is guts, determination, never say die attitude and leadership on the field that drives others to over achieve and win games.

Rich
Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206482 03/22/12 07:36 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
A win is a win and excuses are only for a loss.

The last time I checked you have to beat the good teams as well as the mediocre ones..

Tebow is a Great Football player not a Great Quarterback..

Re: Broncos sign Peyton Manning [Re: MelJB] #206483 03/22/12 09:17 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Paul - For the time being I will agree with your above statement. Only time will tell if he becomes a great Quarterback.

Rich

Moderated by  Bob Ott 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,471 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users