Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20604 03/27/06 10:37 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
This has little to do with anything - sorta, but it was a bright note at work last week.

A few of you know that I've just started as a manager of a new real estate firm, something I've done several times in my R. E. career. One of the new agents instantly recognized that we had a mutual interest- lighthouses of course!

Could it have been my LH license plates on my car? Or maybe it was the lighthouse calendar on my desk, or my lighthouse appointment book. Could it have been the lighthouse pendant of Bodie Island that I wear around my neck most days?

The Wacko badge wasn't on- didn't quite fit the office image, I thought.

But big smiles laugh He and his wife are also Harbour Lights collectors!

Just wondering how you "innocently" let others know your passion or nuttiness for lighthouses. Usually makes a great conversation opener, doesn't it?

Judy
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20605 03/27/06 02:50 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Calendars and lighthouse screen savers on the computer usually work for me. Also discussing vacation plans will do it.

Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20606 03/27/06 05:04 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My office is in my home. Anyone coming to the office instantly knows of my love of lighthouses based on the overhead cabinets filled with Harbour Lights, the screensavers, the pictures on the walls, and the calendars.

The 1st-floor living room has four 6' tall curio cabinets filled with Harbour Lights; the 2nd-floor sitting room has two huge display cabinets (getting them up to the second floor was the hardest job Stan and I have ever accomplished together).

My car's license plate holders say "Lighthouse Lover" and my license plates have Old Saybrook embossed on them. The RV has stickers indicating the occupants are Lighthouse Lovers and an ALF sticker "Save Our Lighthouses" on the passenger-side front window.

I haven't yet met anyone on our trips or as a client who is also a Harbour Lights collector--that must be neat. CF is about the only place I get to chat about HL pieces with any knowledgeable people, but the information I've gleaned from forum members is invaluable.

Sandy

Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20607 03/27/06 05:43 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
NELL stickers on my RV and truck and I also find that the lighthouse T shirts I wear are a "big giveway".

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20608 03/29/06 05:47 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In my office there are lighthouse pictures I took and some prints and the calendar. A few little light of mine on the shelf. Most days I wear a lighthouse tie with a lighthouse tie tack.

The car has 2 bumper stickers.

Away from work there are many days I have a lighthouse T-shirt or polo shirt on.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20609 03/29/06 09:55 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Sometimes it boggles my mine that more people don't comment, given the ton's of ways we carry our lighthouse passion throughout our daily lives.

Now I even have NEW office space to decorate! laugh
Oh, and maybe I'll wear my lighthouse sweater to work this morning.

Judy
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20610 03/29/06 12:12 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Many moons ago, I had mentioned the fact that it would be nice to have some sort of a Harbour Lights decal we could display on the rear window of our vehicles to identify ourselves at HL Collectors.

Harbour Lights had bumper stickers many years ago which read "I Love Harbour Lights" where the word love was replaced with a heart symbol. I don't think those generic bumper stickers are attractive and I know I wouldn't want one on my vehicles.

I would love to see the new owners of Harbour Lights offer a decal with a unique design that could be displayed by all HL collectors. It's nice that clubs offer their own decals but not everyone is a member of a club, including me.

Will such a decal ever become a reality? Probably not, but I felt the idea was a good one way back when and is still a good one now.

smile Bob smile

Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20611 03/29/06 05:49 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob - Harbour Lights does(or did at one time) have a window/bumper decal. It is round and dark blue(like the blue color of the society boxes) and has the Harbour Lights decal in white. I've had one on my vehicles for the last 4 years. I think they were $2.00 a piece and I ordered right from Harbour Lights. They go on either the outside of your window or on your bumper.

Rich
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20612 03/29/06 08:00 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry to say I never saw one of those decals you speak of Rich. I would have certainly purchased a couple for my vehicles.

smile Bob smile

Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20613 03/29/06 09:44 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob - I would give Kathy a call and see if they still have them. They weren't sold through dealers to the best of my understanding.

Rich
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20614 03/30/06 12:28 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
With me, it usually comes up in conversation. I also get a lot of people commenting on it when they look at my desktop on my laptop (which I bring to school and a bunch of other places), which frequently features lighthouses in the frequent rotation of my photos that it features.

Don't have any sweaters or calendars or anything...but I meet a good number of enthusiasts this way too. I even met an HL enthusiast at one of those YMCA camp type things (school trip) years ago...she was the nurse there. She said she had a lot of older stuff. Not sure what that meant. Referred her to the forums, but I'm not sure if she ever joined - they didn't get great internet up there.

Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20615 03/30/06 08:17 PM
C
Capital City Diva Offline
C
I have LOTS of lighthouse junk! All the way from t-shirts, jewelry, calenders, posters,postcards and all the way down to my darn name - Hatteras. When my friends see anything related to lighthouses - they think of ME! smile smile smile smile smile smile

- Hatteras

~*Behold The Forever Love*~
- Philly Blanche
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20616 03/30/06 08:29 PM
beachcomber Offline
How did you get the name? Are your parents lighthouse lovers, too, or were they living in that area when you were born? We love to hear such stories.

beachcomber
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20617 03/30/06 08:57 PM
C
C
Nope - My folks are'nt light lovers and I'm not from North Carolina. "Tybee Hatteras" is my nickname and it kind of stuck with me and I've had it ever since then...But my real name is actually a name of another famous north American city (I'm not from there though.) Someone might be able to guess it here someday. confused :rolleyes:

- Philly Blanche
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20618 03/30/06 10:32 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Capital City Diva:
Nope - My folks are'nt light lovers and I'm not from North Carolina. "Tybee Hatteras" is my nickname and it kind of stuck with me and I've had it ever since then...But my real name is actually a name of another famous north American city (I'm not from there though.) Someone might be able to guess it here someday. confused :rolleyes:
Might it be Philadelphia Blanche?

Dennis

Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20619 03/30/06 11:16 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:

Dennis [/QB][/QUOTE]

YYEESS!! How did you know? Were you at the OBLHS Keeper's Weekend last year?
eek

- Philly Blanche
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20620 03/31/06 12:09 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
No but I remembered you from the lighthousing.net site- and I live near Philadelpnia.

I remembered the Philadelphia part and did a search on lighthousing.net for your post where you gave your full name.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally posted by Capital City Diva:
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:

Dennis
YYEESS!! How did you know? Were you at the OBLHS Keeper's Weekend last year?
eek [/QB][/QUOTE]

Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20621 03/31/06 02:45 AM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director

Judy
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20622 03/31/06 03:01 AM
beachcomber Offline
So, Philly, are you going to tell us how you came to be known as Tybee Hatteras? Those are two great lighthouses!

beachcomber
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20623 04/01/06 12:56 AM
C
C
Oh noooo! Now everyone is going to know how bad I look!! eek (That's an old pic, but I look better today! wink )

But I have always love Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, and Tybee Island light - and since the two names fit together, well, the choice was natural.......A name the shows my passion for lighthouses.

Besides, the name "Philadelphia" gets tired after a while. Sometimes if someone does'nt remember my name, they just call out any name of a city in reference to me ( my name is not New York or Chicago!)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tybeehatte...h4.IpEBFA65tPWe

- Philly Blanche
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20624 04/01/06 01:16 AM
beachcomber Offline
I think they are all great names, but it's got to get old to have people call out just any city name. Both pictures are cute!

beachcomber
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20625 04/01/06 01:44 AM
C
C
Thanks, Grace! smile

- Philly Blanche
Re: How Does One Lighthouse Fan Recognize Another? #20626 04/02/06 11:17 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes I agree Grace - great names!!
HCS
smile

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users