cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205185 10/22/11 03:24 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
They may add more as time passes.. They may wanted to get something up especially the Harbour Lights.. If they add more it would be now or never with Christmas sales coming up..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205211 10/26/11 08:48 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So anybody hear anymore rumors, good or bad, for Harbour Lights 2012 ???

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205212 10/26/11 08:56 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I heard that no lighthouses have been ordered for 2012, but, my October 15th rumor for an announcement was wrong so this could also be wrong.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205213 10/26/11 09:04 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What I heard was that 2012 will be just like any other Harbour Lights release year and that we'll hear about the Winter releases in late December or early January.

Anybody else hear this?

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205218 10/27/11 01:19 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I know that in the past HL had to plan a year ahead in the product line to meet release dates. With all that's changing both here and China it might be longer lead time.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205248 10/29/11 03:01 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
From what I've heard, the 2012 line was selected back in February. Most likely, everything up though receiving the AP's has already happened.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205256 10/30/11 05:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I doubt the 2012 products would have been made back in February, Loon.

I have received an update as to 2012, however:

The winter introductions have been designed and the originals are in China, but production hasn't been ordered yet.

Expect many fewer pieces in 2012, if production proceeds. Perhaps 10-12 pieces.

The property on Route 1 (The Lighthouse Depot store) is for sale with an asking price of $3 million. Why so much? The property owner (not Don Devine) says it's been a very successful business location, so it must be worth that. Ironic.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205258 10/31/11 12:42 AM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Do you mean that they are only making 10-12 different designs? They have done that recently, so there isn't anything new about that. I don't get the 'flap'. Come January, or by at least May or June, we will know the whole story, and probably not a moment before that, except rumor, so I'm finished stressing over it all. Never in my experience with collecting anything, has it been so difficult to get a straight answer to collectors' questions!

Angels Gate
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205261 10/31/11 11:09 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I only heard the February was the piece selection, no originals at that time. The update you received matches what I heard, except for the property sale part.

I guess we will be happy with atleast 10-12 pieces next year, it that happens!

Last edited by Lighthouse Loon; 10/31/11 11:31 AM.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205266 10/31/11 01:04 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I personally hope that HLs stops, while they are ahead and still the premier lighthouse maker, making lighthouses altogether. It has not been any fun spending my money on something that is not worth half of what they charge for it. When the Youngers were around, and even when Tony was involved, there was a sense of belonging. Now there is absolutely no reason to even look forward to new issues especially since the prices have gone out of sight.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205267 10/31/11 03:16 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Cant argue with you there Rich.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205270 10/31/11 08:37 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Just me beating the same old drum, but if HLs had done 10-12 pieces, total, per year 10 years ago, would we be having this discussion now? Or would there be a more vibrant market and collector community?

Admittedly, that is tough to imagine in today's economy. But I think it is a valid question for the Rumor Mill. Heck, it's not like there's a lot of other things going on with HLs!

In the spirit of the season, we can engage in some Monday morning quarterbacking. What if HLs had done X-Y-Z instead of A-B-C?

- What if they had released no more than one piece per month? No counting gifts, give-aways and commissioned pieces, but counting collector society, reunion and regional pieces.

- What if they had stuck to their attempts at specialized subsets of lights? Lady light Keepers? Gone But Not Forgotten? Tributary lights? (Hudson River, Sunken Rock, etc)

- What if they branched out into commissioned pieces sooner? Would that have allowed them reduce the dependence on LEs?

- What if they did something like many fewer LEs, but did them on a grander scale? More of the lights setting, or with additional features like a ship wreck on the rocks? Or practicing surf men and their gear?

I'm sure that there are other ideas out there. And I'm sure that each of these has pros and cons.

Thoughts?

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205271 11/01/11 02:02 AM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
-What if they had kept the quantity produced of limited editions much lower for much longer and adjusted it downward quickly before repeated overproduction helped kill the interest and value of HL?

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205272 11/01/11 04:14 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint

Even though us collectors have been telling Harbour Lights to slow down for years I feel that it was the genius work of a brilliant business man, Bill Younger that knew to get every penny out of the market while it was good then sell it before it bottomed out.

First of all I would like to say that before Harbour lights would go out of business I would like them to complete all of the Florida lights and the Jones point River Light. I would love to see the Jones Point with a special low production number of 500 or 750. My deep hopes were it to be a forum exclusive, but obviously that ain’t going to happen.

Secondly I keep hearing that HL is making a profit so maybe what they are doing is working, but on the other hand I am hearing un-happy collectors that are discontent with the high prices and how many are being produced. Twelve lighthouses a year is still a lot of lighthouses. At an average of$125 a light that is $1500.

Maybe Hl need to look at making simpler lighthouse and ones that are made of just cold cast porcelain without all the expensive metal works. The southern Bells of 1993 are fine examples of simple non-metal work lighthouses that in my opinion are still some of HL finest work. Somehow HL needs to keep their annual prices below the $100 a month mark.

DANIEL
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205275 11/01/11 10:56 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I feel the biggest issue is production costs need to be reduces so retail prices get back under $100. The only way I see that happening is to move production out of China and to either Sri Lanka, Vietnam, or another location that can produce HL's at a much lower cost. I don't see LHM as big enough to afford that move. It would take a larger company, that already had production facilities in these countries, to buy Harbour Lights.

If production costs are reduces, then hopefully edition sizes can be reduced. If edition sizes were only 600-800 pieces, the supply would be closer to the demand and collectors wouldn't be waiting for LHD or Ebay discounting. Their wouldn't be any discounting.

And I really would love to see another CF exclusive !!!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205277 11/01/11 01:47 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Loon - I don't think that collectors would even buy 600 pieces if they were produced. The demand is just not there anymore. We haven't even come close to selling the 500 pieces of our CF Exclusive and we have had wide visability on this with EBAY, the Forums, the Coast Guard Chief and Warrant Officers Websites, Roland on his website and numerous gift shops and clubs. Give it up and smell the roses, HARBOUR LIGHTS as we knew it is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!!! Did I mention that HLs is dead.

As far as another CF Exclusive, that is also dead unless you want to buy the remaining leftovers and garantee that you would buy at least 250 of the new exlusive. You can continue to dream that HLs will come back but I wouldn't bet a wooden dollar on it ever returning.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205280 11/01/11 02:56 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rich, I get the feeling you think Harbour Lights is DEAD!

tongue pillowfight

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205281 11/01/11 03:05 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think the appeal of these lights is the incredible detail they have achieved over the years. If they go back to no metal work, and less detail, they would become another Danbury Mint, or worse. You can't go back to the stone axe after having a chain saw. The lights were fine BEFORE they learned to do the ironwork because they were still the finest that could be done at the time. They were cutting edge, and faithful to the light they represented.
I don't think there is a long-term cure for what ails HL. It is the same thing that ails the entire world economy.

Angels Gate
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205282 11/01/11 03:09 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Well then Rich, that is a pretty definitive opinion! Especially from such an avid supporter of HLs over the years. I hope that HLs has a future, for you and all of the other committed collectors. But I agree with you. I don't think so.

Thoughts about the why and the how of where HLs is today have been posted here and I'm sure at Facebook. Maybe other sites too. Wrap it all up and I what I think we are seeing is supply and demand at work. No demand = no supply.

Is that Taps I hear playing?

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: Middle I-land MI Max] #205283 11/01/11 04:11 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Originally Posted By: Middle I-land MI Max
-What if they had kept the quantity produced of limited editions much lower for much longer and adjusted it downward quickly before repeated overproduction helped kill the interest and value of HL?

Shoulda, woulda, coulda....

But, yes, if HL had capped the number of new editions issued each year, and kept the issue size to 5,500 pieces, (lowering the issue quantity to what could be sold in 2 years), they might still have a market and early collectors would still have a value in their collections.

But when edition sizes of 10,000 could be sold out before the production run began (Thomas Point), the temptation was too great to not capitalize on the apparent demand.

20/20 Hindsight.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205286 11/01/11 06:15 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
And I am still a firm believer in the HL quality and attention to detail. I also still believe that HLs is the top of the line in lighthouses, but, I'm also a realist in the fact that the lighthouse fad is over and abandoning a sinking ship is not disgraceful. I will never give up my collection as I always have and always will love lighthouses, but again, I am smart enough to not throw money down the drain. I'm a believer in getting out while still on top and that's what HLs should do, in my opinion.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205293 11/02/11 12:41 PM
The Lightkeeper Offline
"the fact that the lighthouse fad is over"

I said this five years ago and not many people believed me.

One can collect just so much stuff and that's it. No more room. So you stop buying and then you start selling the stuff that you no longer want and usually for a whole lot less than you paid for it. This is especially true for Harbour Lights. Just go on EBAY and see how little most of them are selling for. (if they Sell at all)

There are not enough newcomers to the market to sustain the "fad"

Also there are not too many younger people interested in lighthouses or getting involved with preservation groups. I would believe that most of us who really like lighthouses and are involved with one or a few lighthouse groups are over 40 and probably over 50. Most that I know personally are over 60.

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205301 11/03/11 08:10 PM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
I am sorry if lighthouse collecting has ever been thought of or considered to be a 'fad'. I think and feel that I am a lot better off having found out about and know about Harbour Lights lighthouses. I am grateful for each one of mine. However, for many reasons I experience myself as a very nostalgic person so I don't look at it as though Harbour Lights is 'dead'. If it's served it's purpose and brought people together what more can be asked. We still have our lighthouses and all the people we've met and things we've done. I am better off.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205302 11/03/11 08:13 PM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
However, don't ask my kids about my collection. I hear that they ask, "Is Mother still collecting lighthouses, I don't want them". LOL Anyway, like my sister-in-law says of her collections, 'they only have to last as long as I do'. That's good enough for me. Kathleen Pence

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205304 11/03/11 08:27 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
KUDOS lgthouselady, Well said! cheers
Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205307 11/03/11 08:34 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
No fad for me. I'm enjoying the hunt for older pieces and hope for a 2012 line.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205310 11/04/11 12:50 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I like your thoughts lgthouselady. If it had not been for HL I would have never met all the fine people I have, or visited all the different areas of the country. Collecting beanie babies never gave me that!

No one (so far) in my family is interested in my collection. I am trying to encourage my grand nephew Jaxson (he just turned 3) by giving him lighthouse books and toys. He loves Thomas the Tank Engine and I found an accessory to his train track that includes a bridge and a red/white striped lighthouse that lights up and has a fog horn sound effect!!

Took Jaxson to his first lighthouse on Oct 24th - Old Point Comfort. He made up a great story about a princess that lived in the light and a knight that had to rescue her. LOL, he associated the tower with a tower in a Mario game!! But I am going to keep trying!

Melody
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205311 11/04/11 12:55 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Another thought...is attendance at lighthouses down? If not, maybe its not a lack of interest in lights just collecting, and given the state of the economy - less extra $$, and lack of room for us long time collectors that is impacting sales, not just a general lack of interest?

Melody
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205319 11/05/11 05:37 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Lighthouses are still popular but fundraising is taking a big hit!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205321 11/05/11 06:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Fundraising overall is taking a big hit..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: MelJB] #205336 11/07/11 04:37 PM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
Melody, keep trying. I have a lighthouse book I bought somewhere and I was looking at it the other day and am thinking about sending it to my just turned 9 year old granddaughter. A most unexpected moment can spark a lifetime interest. Interest in and love for lighthouses does not center around Harbour Lights company. However, I will say that a most unexpected moment in time President's Day holiday in 1992 ignited my interest in lighthouses and a later visit to the same place in 1995 produced a flyer for Harbour Lights Collectors Society. I joined and here I am. I am so grateful for all the places I have been and things I've seen as a result of going to the Harbour LIghts event in Portland, Maine in 2006. I had never been in the NE and besides going to the event we rented a car and drove 3200 miles seeing lighthouses all the way to Ocracoke. Now I am waiting, and not very patiently, for the opportunity to go to the SE and see all those lighthouses including the Florida Keys.
Kathleen Pence

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205346 11/08/11 01:35 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I will continue to find and send lighthouse related items to Jaxson even though he is quite a distance from me - he's in VA.

Melody
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205348 11/08/11 04:56 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wanna get young people interseted in collecting lighthouses? Pay Justin Bieber to hold up a Harbour Light and say "Harbour Light lghthouses are the only lighthouses I collect". You wouldn't be able to keep up with demand, at least until his star fades in a year or so....

MW

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205602 12/02/11 12:07 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It's been very quiet on the rumor front.

Anybody hear anything?

Are we to expect no news and assume Harbour Lights are no more?

Will there be an announcement, good or bad, around Christmas/New Years?

Did Justin Bieber get all the new releases?

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205604 12/02/11 05:15 PM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Justin may have got some of mine since HL shipped my HL dealer some of the wrong edition numbers for my LE's

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205606 12/04/11 12:41 AM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
I am thinking about giving their phone number a call as there is something I need if HL is still there and they still have it. didn't they have an office and equipment to design lighthouses? It can't all just vanish. These were people I saw in Alaska. Maybe they feel as badly as we do. I know one thing I miss and that's getting together with and interacting with people who have a common love of lighthouses and all the fun and adventures getting together is, but I live far away in the desert of Arizona. I mean, I hope there are still groups of us that get together and help out lighthouses and each other. When I get to Washington State I have gone up to Point No Point and visited with those people as we are part of USLHS also. I love to do that but about all I can do is visit and donate money. Jeff Gales is a wonderful person and is doing a wonderful job with what he's doing.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: lgthouselady] #205615 12/05/11 10:35 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: lgthouselady
I am thinking about giving their phone number a call as there is something I need if HL is still there and they still have it.

If you're looking for something particular we may be able to help you out as we have a number of current and retired items in stock. Drop me a note at roland@thecapecodstore.com or phone at 508-364-0947 and I'll be happy to help a fellow Forums member if I can.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205839 01/05/12 10:33 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
Sorry to be depressing with my first ever post here. I called Harbour Lights today and was told the end is pretty much eminent. I am just starting to collect and I am really bummed to hear this news. What do you expect the secondary market to do? I have no clue if things will get cheaper or increase in value. Any thoughts?

Wish List: Curtis Island - Camden, Maine. Piedras Blancas "the headless light" - San Simeon, California.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205842 01/06/12 10:56 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I basically knew this was going to happen many months ago and predicted an announcement late last year, but, it never came. As far as the secondary market goes, I think it will continue to decline for 2 reasons: 1. The lighthouse fad is over, 2. Older collectors are giving up collecting and selling their collections at rock bottom prices.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205851 01/06/12 11:51 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sad it has come to this.

I don't see it as a fad that's over. I think it has been poor marketing.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205853 01/06/12 01:23 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The lighthouse fad has been over for 5 or 6 years now. I personally am surprised that LD was able to survive this long.

Eric
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: Lighthouse Loon] #205854 01/06/12 01:36 PM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: Lighthouse Loon
Sad it has come to this.

I don't see it as a fad that's over. I think it has been poor marketing.

If that's the case Loon, then every other company who makes lighthouse replicas has had bad marketing as well. Lefton went out of business. Scaasis has pretty much discontinued all of their larger sized lighthouses, completely did away with their large light-up "Nautical Lights of the Sea" line and scaled back their smaller size lighthouses, (similar to LLOM's), to about one-fourth of what they used to make. Tell me of one other company who is making new lighthouse collectibles. Zilch! Nada! Nyet! NONE! It's time to take off those rose colored glasses and enter the real world!

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205856 01/06/12 02:02 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
No rose color glasses here! The real world is the one we choose to live in.(I need some Twilight Zone music when i say that).

I always felt Lefton and Scassis did poorly because there product was substandard compared to Harbour Lights.

Harbour Lights downfall is the loss of all of our collector mates who quit( I know they had there reasons ) and HL's failure to market for replacements customers.

I've enjoyed my 7 years of collecting them. Those of you who have collected for the full 21 years are the true die-hards !!!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205857 01/06/12 02:02 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
So considering I was looking to start collecting, do you have any advice for a noob like me? Should I wait to start buying in or not? I was about to pull the trigger on my first piece, but I am not sure now if I should wait. I am not in this for the investment, but also do not want to buy some pieces and have the bottom fall out. Thx for any advice!

Wish List: Curtis Island - Camden, Maine. Piedras Blancas "the headless light" - San Simeon, California.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205859 01/06/12 02:10 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Gekko, Don't collect for investment.

Collect for the love of it.

I'm not sure whats going to happen.

If you like them, buy what you can afford. Space your purchases out and savor each one you add to your collection.

Too bad you don't have a couple hundred friends, might convince HL to make some new ones.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205861 01/06/12 02:28 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
Good advice Loon! Thanks. I am reminded of the fact my wife once acquired collector plates in the 80's. Bradford Exchange. They went under and the secondary market died. I still have about 30 plates in boxes and its not even worth the effort to put these on Ebay. But then I cant help but think no more supply should equal more demand right? Where are good places to buy? I see Cape Cod on here. I also see people seem to not like Lighthouse Depot for some reason. Is Ebay safe? Any advice? Thanks.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205862 01/06/12 02:50 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Not to slight Cape Cod - I have bought from Roland at Cape Cod and he has alway been a great resource, and I've also purchased from Cape Annies and the folks there are also very nice. But I would think at some point LH Depot would be an excellent source especially at the point that they are discounting everything. I just received two APs from them from their 50% off everything sale. However, I would also check Ebay. I have bought pieces there and was mostly successful. I guess you will have to practice bargain shopping for some items and others you may have to pay more due to availability and if you "just have to have it now".

In addition, there is a forum here Trading Post, where you can post what you are looking for and members will contact you if they have lights to sell.

Now for me, lighthouses are not a fad - I love them and will continue to collect whatever items I can find and continue to visit them whenever possible. If the item is unique I don't care if I don't have any more room, I will make room some how!

I cannot put a price on the friendships offered and fun I have had lighthousing, and if that were to go away - I would be extremely depressed!!!!!!

Melody
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205863 01/06/12 03:14 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
Thanks Melody. Is the 50% off at Depot going on now? I do not see it advertised on their site. I like the passion many of you have. I am a part time winemaker and find when people have a passion for something it makes for a great message board community.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205868 01/06/12 06:03 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Gekko, You missed LHD 50% sale. But I would check there website daily. They have frequent sales. There may be a few things on sale now.

Be sure to give Cape Annies and the Cape Cod Store some business. They are first class HL dealers. They will take care of you very well.

And as Melody suggested post what your looking for in the Trading Post forum. You'll be very happy with the results. I've purchase pieces from over a dozen of our CF friends.

Happy HL Hunting !!!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205871 01/06/12 11:10 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
Thanks Loon! I did find those two even before I found this forum. Good to have someone validate them being good businesses.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205882 01/09/12 07:03 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Another 50% off sale at lighthouse depot. NO limits on anything! Final days?

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205889 01/10/12 11:31 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
While the Winter 2012 Harbour Lights have been designed and the paint samples are at the factory in China, word is that no production has been ordered yet.

ASSUMING an order were placed tomorrow, it might be 30-60 days before the first product would appear in Maine.

(I have no knowledge if an order will be placed or when it might be placed, however.)

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205890 01/11/12 01:25 AM
W
wolfdevil Offline
Wacko
Wacko
W
I received seven pieces today that I ordered at 50% off including the Alaska Reunion Set. I'm not going to feel bad about it since I've also bought four pieces from my dealer this year at a 10% discount when she ordered them for me. She is only selling the Harbour Lights she has left unless someone places an order. I let her know of all the updates at HL since she no longer keeps up with it. If Harbour Lights/Lighthouse Depot is going to close, I'd rather see these pieces bought by collectors at a significant discount versus being destroyed.

Wonder if even further discounting is in the near future?

Last edited by wolfdevil; 01/11/12 01:38 AM.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205895 01/11/12 12:06 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Am I missing something? I don't see anything on their website advertising a 50% off sale....

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: wolfdevil] #205896 01/11/12 12:11 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: wolfdevil
I received seven pieces today that I ordered at 50% off including the Alaska Reunion Set. I'm not going to feel bad about it since I've also bought four pieces from my dealer this year at a 10% discount when she ordered them for me. She is only selling the Harbour Lights she has left unless someone places an order. I let her know of all the updates at HL since she no longer keeps up with it. If Harbour Lights/Lighthouse Depot is going to close, I'd rather see these pieces bought by collectors at a significant discount versus being destroyed.

Wonder if even further discounting is in the near future?

The people who purchased the Alaska Reunion Set at full price believing what they were told "Exclusive for cruise attendees" are the ones who feel bad - We were duped!!

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205897 01/11/12 03:14 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
Cana Fan, the code for the discount at checkout is CD501. The deal is good thru 1/12/12. I bought my first 6 pieces. I am not betting on any sort of investment value, just in for the love of the product. Buying at 50% though is a nice hedge. Saint, do you know the winter 2012 pieces that were supposed to be released? I would love to know the 'possibilities'.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: HCS] #205898 01/11/12 07:32 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: HCS
The people who purchased the Alaska Reunion Set at full price believing what they were told "Exclusive for cruise attendees" are the ones who feel bad - We were duped!!

I hate to tell you... but it goes beyond those who just went on the cruise.... many collectors also purchased the Reunion Sets, at "Full Price" originally offered from Harbour Lights last spring before the cruise even departed the shore.... we too got "duped"!

The moral of the story is.... a lot of die hard long time HL collectors got "duped" (fill in the parentheses with any word you wish to choose).

It is "time" for the last nail to be placed.....

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205900 01/11/12 07:49 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Now I have a question here. Way back when HL was sold by the Youngers, wasn't the new company called Lighthouse Marketing or some such thing? Even though located in Maine and sort of affiliated with LHD weren't we told it wasn't exactly the same company? So if that's the case are we premature in assuming that Harbour Lights is a goner too? Sure LHD was the largest dealer and maybe their demise is enough to kill off the line. Or was this really, after the sale, really all the same outfit?

"Inquiring minds want to know"...

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205903 01/11/12 09:13 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
I am a noob to this whole scene here but my understanding is LH Marketing owns Harbour Lights and LH Depot. It is the same company basically even though they are legally seperate entities. I imagine if HL went out of biz that LH Depot would still operate exactly where it is. As to peeps being upset over previous purchases, wouldn't that only be justified if the company knew it was shutting its doors? Seems to me they are trying to find a way to save themselves right now in this brutal economy. It appears unlikely, but isn't the prudent thing to do is not release the 2012 line for fear of this exact sentiment? I personally hope they stick around. Right now I feel like I am buying a ticket onto a sinking ship.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205904 01/11/12 09:54 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The fear is that because LH Depot is running so many hugely discounted sales and also the rumor that they are trying to sell the building they currently occupy, they are shuting down operations. Now, there is the possibility that they are just trying to close their "brick and mortar" store but would continue to operate as a Web store only.

Are they perhaps holding off on new HL releases until the brick/mortar issue is resolved?? Only Lighthouse Marketing knows for sure.

Melody
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205905 01/11/12 10:12 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Gekko - Your statement "Right now I feel like I am buying a ticket onto a sinking ship" is a little bit misleading to me. You are in the BEST time ever to buy lighthouses if you truly want them for a collection. You are in the WORST time ever to buy if you want an investment, which you earlier said you don't.

When you can buy a California, Canadian or even a latter produced lighthouse for pennies on the dollar, how can you complain. You can collect Harbour Lights whether the company has gone bust or not and come away with entire collections for 1/4 or less then most of us paid.

The question you should ask yourself is do I really want to collect lighthouses because I love them or do I want to collect lighthouses because other people are doing it? And what better time to buy as when the ship is sinking. There are over 450 different lighthouses that have been produced by Harbour Lights so you will have some time to go before you have to worry about a "sinking ship".

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205907 01/11/12 11:16 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
Hi Rich. My point that I was trying to make is simple. If the ship is sinking, smart money says wait till its officially "sunk" to buy in. I just took advantage of a 50% off sale and I would not call that "pennies on the dollar". 50 pennies on the dollar yes but not like the discount you suggest. If the company survives, then 50% off is great. If they close doors permanently, then it is not such a great deal. I think its safe to say it appears they are going under. I do not want to step on you lifers toes and be the proclamation of doom, but it does not look good by any account that I read here. And again I am in to collect. I lived in Maine for a year recently and visited 60 of the 65 lighthouses there during that time and I have never been the same!

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: CAVR] #205910 01/11/12 11:59 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: CAVR
Originally Posted By: HCS

I hate to tell you... but it goes beyond those who just went on the cruise.... many collectors also purchased the Reunion Sets, at "Full Price" originally offered from Harbour Lights last spring before the cruise even departed the shore.... we too got "duped"!

The moral of the story is.... a lot of die hard long time HL collectors got "duped" (fill in the parentheses with any word you wish to choose).

It is "time" for the last nail to be placed.....

Another sore point for cruise attendees, to find out that a SELECT few SPECIAL collectors, who did not go on the cruise were able to purchace the set prior to the cruise.We were sold a bill of goods by being told the sets were exclusive:

From: webmaster@harbourlights.com 7-7-10 "Harry is working on three new limited edition lighthouse replicas EXCLUSIVELY for those collectors who travel on the Harbour Lights 20th Anniversary Reunion Cruise."

3-29-11 "The 20th anniversary Alaskan Cruise replicas will be available ONLY to Collectors who have registered for Harbour Lights 20th Anniversary Reunion Alaskan Cruise."

From: Tony J. Constantino (tconstantion@harbourlights.com 4-20-2011 "Harry has 'built' three outstanding replicas to celebrate Harb our Lights' 20th year!" "Remember the replicas have been 'built' for those Collectors and Lighthouse Enthusiasts who are Registered Guests on the Harbour Lights 20th Anniversary Reunion Alaska Cruise! "EXCLUSIVE AND LIMITED!"

Last edited by HCS; 01/12/12 12:01 AM.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205911 01/12/12 12:47 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Please don't get upset with me but it's time to let this one go Hilari. You're not the only one who feels this way about the Reunion Set but at this point it seems that you're beating a dead horse. I'm sure I'd feel the same as you about this issue if I'd spent the big bucks, not only for the HL set but the cruise as well. Sometimes we just have to accept what happens, fair or not, if we don't have the power to change it.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205912 01/12/12 02:03 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Mombo - Well said and while I also didn't attend, and did buy my set from a person that was kind enough to sell me their 2nd set at what they paid for it, I think it is time to drop this subject also. Life isn't always going to be fair and as this cruise was being planned I don't think anything about HLs going out of business was in any of the people's minds that was mentioned. Economy, fads and lack of money, and not deceit were the leading factors.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205916 01/12/12 04:07 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Lets not forget that when LHD sells a piece at 50% off, they probably still make a 50% profit. If other dealers do that, they are lucky if they break even.

It has all come down to supply versus demand:

If the demand was higher than the supply, would we see the low Ebay selling prices, dealers dumping stock at rock bottom prices, LHD/LHM selling their stock at 50% off. (their are actually other dealers selling them cheaper), and why the cruise pieces became unexclusive, then discounted. Nobody can afford to eat inventory that doesn't sell even if we had a good economy.

If us collectors didn't stop collecting. And those that started selling off their collection for pennies didn't help. Which lead to dealers selling off their surplus at rock bottom prices. Which has lead to LHD being stuck with hundreds of non-moving stock(per each release). Which has lead to more collectors to quit collecting or buy at very discounted prices. All along they way dealers are dropping like flys. We come to the current state of Harbour Lights.

These rose colored eyeballs that God gave me still think there is hope for 2012 and beyond. I have a goal of reaching 500 pieces in my collection. While I know HL has made around 750 different pieces, I only have about a dozen on my hunt list. I currently own about 460 different HLs(I don't collect variations), so a couple more years of new releases would be needed.

I feel once a year passes with no new HL's, it's makes it that much harder to comeback. Whatever collectors hung in there will be gone as well.

Funny thing is I've gotten calls and emails from dealers who want to know whats going on for 2012. I've been updating them as best I can.

What happened to "Keeping the Flame" lit.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: mombo] #205917 01/12/12 04:24 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Originally Posted By: mombo
Now I have a question here. Way back when HL was sold by the Youngers, wasn't the new company called Lighthouse Marketing or some such thing? Even though located in Maine and sort of affiliated with LHD weren't we told it wasn't exactly the same company? So if that's the case are we premature in assuming that Harbour Lights is a goner too? Sure LHD was the largest dealer and maybe their demise is enough to kill off the line. Or was this really, after the sale, really all the same outfit?

Yes, Mombo -- two different corporations. Two different physical locations. Both companies plus the catalog operation owned 100% by Don Devine.

The warehouse/offices of HL are an albatross around the company's neck. They have been trying to sell the facility for some time and MIGHT move to a smaller/cheaper place.

LHD does NOT own the buildings from which it operates. The owner of that property is trying to sell it for $3 Million. From at least one report here on the CF, the store has very, very few products on display. On LHD's website, they only list 13 books, 38 clothing items and 42 home decor items in addition to 379 HL products. They did not send out a Holiday catalog this year.

However, LHD has been the #1 seller of HLs for many years. LHD's discounting of HLs (and the economy in general) has caused many other dealers to give up. So, if LHD goes out of business, who will retail Harbour Lights?

As I've noted in a previous post, production of the Winter 2012 releases has not been ordered yet.

Some speculative possiblities:

1. HL could 'hibernate' offering direct mail order sales of the present products from a smaller building. Should the economy improve in a year or 5 years, new products might be ordered to be sold directly.

2. Continued discounting of inventory by LHD to raise capital.

3. A Bankruptcy is NOT necessarily in the future. HL owns its inventory. I doubt it has any debt. Don is probably financing short falls of income for operations personally. This might include the mortgage payment on the HL warehouse/offices and the rent on the LHD store.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: Gekko] #205922 01/13/12 12:43 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: Gekko
Saint, do you know the winter 2012 pieces that were supposed to be released? I would love to know the 'possibilities'.

Gekko, Trust me on this. Even if they know what they are, they're not going to tell us. But feel free to tell us your wishlist over in the Wishlist forum(logical place).

Last edited by Lighthouse Loon; 01/13/12 12:43 AM.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205940 01/15/12 01:03 AM
W
wolfdevil Offline
Wacko
Wacko
W
Wow.

I just got an email from Lighthouse Depot -

Now with purchase of the Alaska Replica Set you get a free Eldred Rock, AK Little Light and the first seven buyers get a Sentinel Island, AK Name Badge and Thumbnail.

Now I've been duped :)

Last edited by wolfdevil; 01/15/12 01:10 AM.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: Lighthouse Loon] #205942 01/15/12 10:26 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Originally Posted By: Lighthouse Loon
Saint, do you know the winter 2012 pieces that were supposed to be released? I would love to know the 'possibilities'.

Gekko, Trust me on this. Even if they know what they are, they're not going to tell us. But feel free to tell us your wishlist over in the Wishlist forum(logical place).

Gekko - yep, what Loon said. I have no knowledge of what's been sculpted.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205954 01/17/12 03:52 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
Another 50% off sale at Lighthouse Depot. Code is CD501.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205964 01/18/12 02:04 AM
W
wolfdevil Offline
Wacko
Wacko
W
Repeat code for repeat sale. Looks like LHD will continue to do this until they possibly sell out.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205974 01/18/12 03:28 PM
G
Gekko Offline
G
I am curious how dealers (many rec'ed above) do not offer similar sales? I asked one and they said they had an agreement with LHM to not undercut retail prices. Yet the source of the agreement and the supplier of the goods is selling all for 50% off! The only logical explanation is the dealer would be breaking even to losing money giving a 50% off sale, whereas LHM/LD still makes money at that level. The dealers must be ticked off at LHM/LD right??

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: Gekko] #205979 01/19/12 03:58 PM
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am curious how dealers (many rec'ed above) do not offer similar sales? I asked one and they said they had an agreement with LHM to not undercut retail prices. Yet the source of the agreement and the supplier of the goods is selling all for 50% off! The only logical explanation is the dealer would be breaking even to losing money giving a 50% off sale, whereas LHM/LD still makes money at that level. The dealers must be ticked off at LHM/LD right??

You got that right!

Roland Babineau
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #206034 01/24/12 09:28 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
60% off everything in an email sent yesterday. Rate is good until 1/28/2012. Code "CD60" -- could the CD stand for "Closing Down"???

Next up? 75% off everything?

End of this month or next = end of LHD? HL?

I don't have any inside information, just guessing from the almost daily "sale" emails from LHD.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users