Next Thread
Print Thread
Review of the HL-417(178) MUKILTEO, WASHINGTON #205649 12/11/11 11:24 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
HL-417(178) MUKILTEO, WASHINGTON 1996.

Mukilteo, WA was originally made as a Great Lighthouse Of The World (G.L.O.W) in 1996 with the assigned piece number of HL-417. There was such an outrage by collectors because Harbour Lights had made this piece as a GLOW before it had been a "limited edition piece" that Harbour Lights made a change. The piece number was changed from HL-417 to HL-178 with a limited edition size of 9,500.
The more-rare piece number of HL-417 has no edition size on the name plate (because it was supposed to be an open edition)!

In addition to the limited edition problem, an even bigger issue surfaced when it was discovered that the manufacturers were sending out lighthouses with the inaccurate spelling of Mulkilteo (with an added "L") instead of the correct spelling of Mukilteo (no "L").
Harbour Lights recognized the problem and corrected it by removing the “L & U” and replacing it with a wider “U”, but still a few MISSPELLINGS leaked out, resulting in one of the RAREST lighthouse VARIATIONS a collector can find!

In addition to the extra "L" version, another version surfaced as Muukilteo (with 2 "U"'s), and this even rarer version is mentioned in the "Official Harbour Lights Collectors Guide" by John Chidester.
Then, there is a third variation This piece is the Mlkilteo (It replaces the "U" with an "L" - no vowel). I would put the entire MUKILTEO version together as the same value (except for the flat “U” version which is worth very little more than the regular MUKILTEO).

The first version (MULK) being the actual misspelled version that was misspelled during production. This version can be found on the numbers up to the low 1600’s and on all the AP’s. The known amount of this variation is between 8 to 12 plus all the Artist proofs.

The UU version would be a touch-up that came from the factory and so far there is only one known which was swooped up on EBay by one of our forum Saints for around $350.

The MLK version is a stamping error that usually is one of a kind, except in this case there are three known, the A0498, A0698 and the A0962. The MLK version was known before the HL Collectors guide came out, but was forgotten and didn’t get listed.

I would put the three variations value at $600 with $500 the low and $700 the high. But even if a collector wanted to purchase one it is probably next to impossible to find one. The rare variation types have not been listed on ebay since November 2008.

Last edited by DANIEL; 12/11/11 03:40 PM.

DANIEL
Re: Review of the HL-417(178) MUKILTEO, WASHINGTON [Re: DANIEL] #205650 12/11/11 12:16 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Daniel - There are now 3 known of the MLK version! I have a serial number A0962 that I bought from EBAY for only $18.00 about 2 years ago(2009). I always examine any of the pieces with variations in case there is one listed that I can find that the seller does not realize he/she has. I never realized there were only 2 of them known.

I really enjoy these reviews that you are doing. Keep them coming.

Rich
Re: Review of the HL-417(178) MUKILTEO, WASHINGTON [Re: DANIEL] #205651 12/11/11 01:38 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Good job Daniel. Rich nice buy!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Review of the HL-417(178) MUKILTEO, WASHINGTON [Re: DANIEL] #205653 12/11/11 02:42 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Rich
I don't remember you sharing that story with me about your MLK version. Congratulations!!!

I have never been able to find one myself. I do have a good story of almost getting one.

Back in the old days when eBay had no pictures of the item for sale. I use to go through every Mukilteo on eBay, contact the seller and ask him to check if there was a spelling variation.
One day I hit it right on the money. I found one with the MULK version and the seller didn't know it and was selling it for $45. I would have had it for that price except that at the last day the seller added to the description that it had a spelling variation. At the last moment it was taken away from me by a higher bid. But, I did make the higher bidder pay for it; he had to pay $500 for it.
I felt bad because the person that took the bid from me was a hoarder and all ready had several MULK versions and many CH1’s and I felt he was just trying to corner the market.
But on the other hand I felt good that the variation got identified and the seller got a fair price for it because of me. The seller did email me back after the sale and told me he had no idea that it was worth that much.

Rich
I added the A0962 to the above Mukilteo review.

Last edited by DANIEL; 12/11/11 03:42 PM.

DANIEL

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users