Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Governor's Lighthouse #204847 09/21/11 02:08 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
While I was looking for SC lighthouses around Parris Island, I saw that the lighthouse page has this lighthouse listed. I always thought of it as a fake lighthouse. But I took two photos in the spring of 2002 from our boat as we left early in the morning.

Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204850 09/21/11 10:08 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great shots!

Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204854 09/21/11 12:39 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
You got a ruins right in Parris Island, Hilton Head, Hilton Head Rear range, and Hunting Island is the closest.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204862 09/23/11 12:53 AM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
IMHO Harbortown lighthouse is just a big billboard and is not a proper ATON.

I have been to both Leamington Range Rear on Hilton Head

and Hunting Island.

I tried to find the Parris Island one today, and I got close to the GPS location and the GPS said "Start off road navigation" and pointed straight into a dense jungle area. I did try another road that went in that direction and ended up at the airfield, but did not see it anywhere.

Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204868 09/23/11 04:34 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The only thing left there is the oil house and it is in a clump of trees south of the old airport according to the maps I've seen.

Lighthouse Friends has a good map that shows the area if you click on satellite.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=868

Eric
Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204876 09/23/11 11:59 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I knew it was just the oil house there. But since the Marines spent $50,000 fixing it up, I figured there would be a trail to it at least. If there is one, I couldn't find it. We went all the way down to the golf course which is at the southeast end of the peninsula. Then the GPS said start off road navigation and pointed perpendicular to the road into the woods.

We went a little farther and there was an unpaved road going back at an acute angle towards where the off road navigation arrow was. So we took it. We came to a side clearing with some vehicles and stuff in it, but there wasn't any trail going out the other side. So we kept going and saw a kind of fire road with a bunch of deer who were standing there looking at us, and then we got to the old airfield. We didn't know if we could get back to civilization from there, so we went back down the road.

Looking at the map later, it seemed like it would have been somewhere to the river side between the clearing and the fire road

Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204882 09/24/11 12:14 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm very interested to see if you find it. I'm in Hilton Head every once and awhile and would love to find it.
I know you're there for family so I wondering if I can get access to the area looking for the oil house. Last time I was there, there was an alert on and the entrance was backed up a 1/2 mile.

I'm also interested in whether you found the LH at top of post?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204885 09/24/11 10:47 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
We didn't find the Parris Island oilhouse. If you try, you need to be prepared to go through the woods and have some kind of off-road vehicle to get to a place where you go into the woods.

We had no problem getting onto the base because Bob is retired Navy and we have a base sticker. However if it is a graduation day for the Boot Camp, there is a LOT of traffic - this would be Thursday for Family Day and Friday for the actual graduation. It took us over an hour to get out of the parking lot. So I'd advise against going Thursday or Friday.

The pictures of the Governor's Lighthouse in the top post were ones that from our boat. We did the ICW three years. I have no photos of it from the first year 2000-2001. I had one photo from the second year in November 2001 which wasn't as good.

April 7-8 in 2002 we were coming north (after Bob's heart attack in the Bahamas), and this is what I wrote about it.

After we went through the Rockpile to N. Myrtle Beach, we called the marina where we had made a reservation (Lighthouse Keeper near Little River) on the radio, and on the phone but they didn't answer. So I say, forget them and we went on the Cricket Cove. They asked if we minded being on the face dock, but we didn't, so we headed in. We see the guy coming down the dock in a golf cart as we run aground. Bob swears and backs off and goes back out into the channel, turns around and approaches from the north side. We are tied up with 40 miles at 7.2 mph for a total of 677 nm since leaving Miami.

After we tied up, SEA BONDS came in and tied up behind us. They are a Moody, and draw 5.5 feet, and he says they are having engine problems with oil usage, so they have been taking it slowly. Bob did the laundry and was happy with it. They had 2 washers, whereas there was only one at Wacha Wachee. We ate at the restaurant (called a bar and grill), and had filet which was very good, but the chef forgot to wrap it in bacon. They brought the bacon later and he came to apologize in person. The food was very good -apparently under new management. Rolls were hot, and service was good - refilling Bob's tea every time he emptied it.

There was a golfing paper on the table and I read it. It had a coupon for a free desert with an entree so I got that.

There is a party boat that goes up and down the river, but it just makes some noise and not much wake.

We get away from the dock early, just as LUV IT goes past. After talking to Herb (the weather guy) on the SSB, we decide to go out the Little RIver inlet and come in the Cape Fear River to Bald Head island. LUV IT went down toward the Sunset Beach Pontoon Bridge which, since it floats on the water, has NO vertical clearance and ALL boats have to stop and wait here until it is pulled away over to the side. It opens only once an hour. That is one reason we were going outside - to avoid it.

We cautiously go out the inlet - there isn't much wind, but we know that the markers are moved to account for shoaling and we don't want to miss any. We see a whole bunch of guys boat camping on the inlet peninsula - they have tents, and boats drawn up on the shore.

After we successfully negotiated the inlet, we put up the sails, and eventually turn off the engine. On the VHF radio, we heard people going through the pontoon bridge every hour (or missing it) and then the CG comes up on the radio and says the bridge is closed until further notice!! He doesn't say why, but I gather it is because of too low a tide.

And this last one was taken in November 2003 when went south for the last time by boat.

On the way back we went outside for a lot of the trip, and that included from the St. Mary's River in northern FL to Charleston, and then from Charleston to the Cape Fear River, which eliminated this section altogether. Then we ran aground in the middle of the channel off Wrightsville Beach and Bob said it was too much stress to do the ICW anymore, so we haven't gone south on our boat since.

Last edited by grandmaR; 09/25/11 12:21 PM.
Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204886 09/25/11 12:29 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the info Rosalie. you take great notes. The thursday/Friday grad days was especially helpful.

here's what I found on Governor's Lighthouse. (looks similar to me to HH)

" This facsimile lighthouse is located in Light Keepers Village, Cogulna Harbor, Little River, SC just off of US-17. It was built in 1985 along the Intracoastal Waterway as a landmark and to honor South Carolina governors."

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Governor's Lighthouse [Re: grandmaR] #204901 09/26/11 06:20 PM
grandmaR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
That's what I found on the Lighthouse Directory

I think the difference between this and the Harbortown fake lighthouse is that this one was built to honor a group of people and not just as an aid to commercialization. Harbortown breaks all the rules for construction on Hilton Head because it is taller than allowed and not painted in natural earth tone colors as is required of all other buildings. The Red Roof Inn was not allowed to have a red roof because it did not comply with the zoning.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 832 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users