Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? #204694 09/06/11 05:32 PM
B
BuyGlass Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
B
Wow the buzz on Facebook the past few days is that Harbour Lights and the Lighthouse Depot might be closing down after this year. Mums the word here or what???

Sean

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204695 09/06/11 05:55 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Anything is possible including me winning the lotto, but, no rumor here about this happening. I wouldn't count on rumors until you hear it from the source.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204696 09/06/11 06:25 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Do we have a source anymore ???

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204699 09/06/11 09:36 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
The "SOURCE" being an announcement from Harbour Lights thru an email, HL Webmaster or from our dealers.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204703 09/07/11 08:16 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
A lot of "brand name" collectibles went out of business many years ago. It's our lousy economy that none of the Pols seem to be able to correct. People just don't have the expendible cash anymore. Their interests now lie with just surviving and providing the basics for their families. HL hung in there by making adjustments and providing a quality product to its followers. If the end is near, I understand. I say thank you for a great run and lots of fun.

Bob

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204706 09/07/11 10:18 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was actually kidding about who the "Source" is.

A message from TonyC would have come by now to put our minds at ease. Could be why he's moved on.

Here's hoping that it's not the end for HL's. I hope somehow, someone(s) KEEP THE FLAME !!! LHM...Harry...Bill...(sigh)

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204707 09/07/11 10:30 AM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Time will tell......

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204708 09/07/11 02:42 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think time HAS told. I don't know any more than anyone on the Forums, and I know less than most, but to me, the writing has been on the wall for AT LEAST the two years that I have been collecting HLS. I am glad they have held on for this long, but when they can't even sell a few hundred sets of Special lights, how can they be expected to survive at all? Yet, we must keep in mind that at this point, we are hearing RUMOR alone, and while an 'official' announcement isn't likely for awhile, even if it IS true, I won't be at all surprised to hear it... only saddened.

Angels Gate
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204713 09/08/11 03:42 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Since I started that Facebook thread, let me comment here on "Harbour Lights Watching".

There are certain expectations we have about what to expect from Harbour Lights based on the company's history under the Younger's from 1991-2006 and under Don's management from 2006 to the present.

When certain expectations don't happen, "HL Watchers" take this as a sign that things aren't going well at our favorite collectibles company.

Everything is NOT Don's fault. The economy was already bad when he took over and it clearly has gotten worse. That he has been able to keep the company going for the past years is, frankly, amazing, a tribute to his business experience and acumen.

Harbour Lights has actually been profitable for the past several years.

That is, they made more money than they spent on product development, overhead and staff. Not so for the collectibles retailers including HL's number 1 reseller - Lighthouse Depot.

LHD's overhead must be higher than HL's. The one advantage that LHD enjoys over the other retailers is that they don't need to carry an inventory of Harbour Lights. If they get an order for 2 of a particular piece, they can purchase those pieces from HL as needed and ship them out the same day.

If there isn't much business for the retailers, then there isn't much future for Harbour Lights.

A reliable source told me that NO products are presently in development for 2012. (Maybe items have been chosen, but they are not being sculpted.) LHD hasn't published a catalog in several months and doesn't have one ready for this year according to my source.

The Alaska Cruise provided an income stream to Harbour Lights because of the exclusives sold at increased prices directly from HL to collectors.

Probably a majority of those who attended the reunion were no longer actually collectors.

The number of "auto-ships" to dealers has dropped into double-digits (under 100). In the past it was in the thousands.

What might be the future of Harbour Lights?

The company might be sold -- assuming an interested buyer could be found. Or it might be turned into a direct-to-collector subscription program similar to Franklin Mint.

All this is speculation on my part -- based on my experience at "watching" Harbour Lights.

Harbour Lights could surprise me. I've heard the death bells tolling for them before and they made it through those times. They could do it again.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204714 09/08/11 07:13 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Well now!

I knew not hanging out at Facebook could mean missing out on lots of news, tidbits and rumors. Thanks Sean for sharing the buzz with those of us still living in the old neighborhood!

Whether there are more years to come or not, the 20 years that have passed have been thoroughly enjoyable for me. However, I'm thinking along the same lines as John.

Harbour Lights has withstood many business challenges. They have dealt with run-away success in the early years, a change in ownership, the long-running decline in the economy, the loss of dealers and distribution, and on and on.

I live in Florida, which I think historically has been one of HLs better markets. The economy here is terrible. The housing market will be years recovering to what it was in the early and mid 2000s. Unemployment is about 11% and climbing for the past three months, not getting better. In some counties the rate is pushing 14%. In '04, '05, and '06 unemployment was under 4%. There simply isn't any money for things like HLs.

Even those who are fortunate enough to have work are spending money differently today than they used to. Saving is much more 'top of mind' for many people. Down-sizing is back in vogue, so available dollars will go further.

I hope I'm wrong because there are a few pieces I'd still like to see HLs do. But even there, I'm part of the problem. There are only a few. And 'a few' is a tough business model. Volume is better. But I don't think that HLs has been able to muster enough volume, especially per piece, to keep their supply chain costs from constantly rising. I imagine that there are minimum order requirements as well as volume discounts that factor in. It is possible that HLs just cannot muster the minimums anymore.

We'll see. But I suspect the ride is over. If it is, it was great while it lasted!

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204715 09/08/11 07:28 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
LHD Is having a "Close Out Sale"... not particularly a reassuring name for a sale in these economic times:

http://www.lighthousedepot.com/category....campaign=E09081

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204716 09/08/11 07:30 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's a link to the Harbour Lights Collectors @ Facebook. You don't need to join FB to read the posts.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204718 09/08/11 08:02 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Thanks for posting the link John, but like every other time I've tried a FB link, I wind up at a Log In page. As far as I know, there is no way to see FB content without a FB account.

I'd like to be wrong on this, so I'm listening if anyone has the key to this lock.

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: Webmaster] #204719 09/08/11 08:03 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I looked on facebook and it wont let you see the posts unless you are friends with them

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204722 09/08/11 10:35 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Fran,

That's what I thought.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: RMau] #204723 09/09/11 12:55 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry... The group is a closed one. You need to be a member to view it. My mistake.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: Webmaster] #204725 09/09/11 10:20 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Originally Posted By: Webmaster

Harbour Lights has actually been profitable for the past several years.

That is, they made more money than they spent on product development, overhead and staff. Not so for the collectibles retailers including HL's number 1 reseller - Lighthouse Depot.

LHD's overhead must be higher than HL's. The one advantage that LHD enjoys over the other retailers is that they don't need to carry an inventory of Harbour Lights. If they get an order for 2 of a particular piece, they can purchase those pieces from HL as needed and ship them out the same day.

If there isn't much business for the retailers, then there isn't much future for Harbour Lights.

Here's hoping someone(s) buys HL and keeps it alive !!!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204727 09/09/11 03:35 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Here we go again! Some of the most important topics imaginable to Harbour Lights Collectors are posted on FB, rather than the Forums! Let's see if you all can get your FB 'Friends' to save the company, or do anything besides post a "LIKE" comment!

Angels Gate
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204728 09/09/11 05:16 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
You should know by now that negative topics and comments seldom appear on the Collector Forums.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204729 09/09/11 07:52 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I know you are right, but it is still seems a bit ridiculous to 'gild the lily' at this point. All of us collectors love what HL has done for us in the past, and we have a vested interest (so to speak) in what is happening to the company now. There cannot be a better place to discuss all of it than right here, is all I'm saying. Those of us with the nerve have b-----d about this and that, but have not passed by a single lighthouse made by HL, other than a few paint variations. We LOVE these replicas, and we deserve to know what gives. RIGHT HERE ON THIS SITE!

Angels Gate
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204730 09/09/11 09:26 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
John,

Thanks to you and Fran for the follow-up. But I'm still not going to join FB. Personal preference, nothing against the folks who are there.

I guess I'll figure out what's going as time passes. I'll either come across a new piece that I'd like to add to the collection, or I won't.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fellow collectors,

The collector community has always been split into different groups, and split in different ways. Those who collect them all, those who collect a subset of interest. Those that posted in the online conversations, those that watched and read. Those who conversed frequently with the Youngers and HLs, those that might have said hello to Bill at an event. And other ways too.

So it isn't a surprise to me that the collector community has split again, along yet another line of demarcation. These Fora, and Facebook. I think it's a shame that the online discussions are fragmented like this. But it is my choice to avoid Facebook. And not any of the FB participants responsibility to make the extra effort to 'include me in' by spending additional time to replicate a discussion here.

Through all of this, the saddest part is that (apparently) all the different niches of the HL collector community added together, no longer add up to enough market for HLs to continue in business. And that is a shame.

No matter what neighborhood of the HL community one hung out it, it was interesting and fun. Life needs more of that, not less.

All best everyone,

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204732 09/10/11 10:09 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Rick - I'm with you on the Facebook feelings. While I have nothing against these sites, I prefer not to make myself anymore public then I am right now for hackers, spammers, etc. I read so many things about these sites being accessible to the above and that is why I cannot bring myself to participate.

My other thoughts on this subject is with less and less people participating on the Forums, and with the eventual demise of Harbour Lights, I wonder why we continue to pay for the Forums server. My last input is that I personally hope Harbour Lights will shut down for 2 simple reasons: 1. I am out of room and have no more space for another curio. 2. I feel like I'm throwing money away everytime I buy a new release and if I cancelled my auto ship I would put another nail in my dealer's coffin.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204742 09/11/11 05:07 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I tend to believe the writing is on the wall (in large letters) for HL's demise, especially with Tony's departure. It has been a good run. However, I tend to also believe that this does not spell the end of the line for the forums. I know that your primary area of interest is just HL products, but we have so many members who also enjoy the travel and real thing. And, should HL close up, we will be positioned to help the remaining dealers and collectors who find HL late in life. You know that the membership here is the collective brain trust for things HL, with knowledge and insight not found elsewhere, including at HL itself.

While I don't post as much as I did at one point (I'm not into posting simply for the purpose of posting) I do check the forums every day. I know I am not the only person doing this. There are many who are either not members or don't stay logged in so they show up as guests. Even though I would like them to register and log in, I am also happy that they choose to visit the site and hope that we are able to be helpful to them without chasing them away.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204743 09/11/11 06:10 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Dave - You have some good points that you made concerning keeping the brain trust in tact. Even though we have very little conversations going on (it took over 30 hours for someone to answer my posts on why we keep the Forums going when in the old days it would have had many rebuttals within the hour), but, as long as there is money to support the Forums we should probably continue to pay.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204744 09/11/11 07:00 PM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Anyone have any reason(s) for HOPE for our beloved Harbour Lights sculptures continuing that you would care to share here?

What should HL be doing at this apparent critical time to stay in business as seen by those of you who are a part of "our collective brain trust"?

Just maybe HL leadership will pay attention now, and gain an innovative idea(s)?

Max

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204745 09/11/11 10:26 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Max,

There is always hope. Look at what the Tampa Bay Rays did this weekend as they chase a playoff spot!

But, unfortunately, I agree with Dave. I think HLs, as we know it, has had it's run. I don't see a market in these economic times.

In my view, HLs market has been shrinking for a number of years. There are many reasons. Some I think were self-inflicted, some were out of their control, but just as devastating to their business.

Out of their control? The economic meltdown. I think this was the last straw. People just have to prioritize their spending differently today than they did before the mortgage/housing crisis and the loss of so many jobs. The question of what about tomorrow is much more vivid in people's minds.

So the spending evaluation is 'I have $100.00. Do I 1) pay myself and save it, 2) pay a bill or 3) buy a Harbour Light that I really don't a place for anyway'. More and more people are picking 1 or 2 instead of 3.

HLs also was a victim of their own success. They made great stuff. Stuff that got better and better over time in terms of detail and craftsmanship. Those things don't come cheap, even in China.

I believe that HLs, in the Younger's hands, did all that they could to keep the per piece cost down. I looked at a couple of random years of the online catalog at harbourlights.com. In 1992 the average cost per piece at list was $65.57. In 2001 it had only gone up to $71.00. That's not bad. But how did they do that, even if good craftsmanship costs more?

Well, in 1992 there were 14 pieces released. Cost to purchase all of them was $918.00. In 2001 there were 24 pieces released, not including GLOWs. Cost to purchase all of them was $1,704.00. (If HLCS membership was $45.00. It was about that)

So, the per piece cost was still reasonable, but the cost to 'have them all' was way up. The increased number of annual releases was in response to perceived collector demand. But I think it had the unintentional consequence of making collectors evaluate their collections more closely. What were they collecting? Why were they collecting it? And so forth.

I know it did for me. And the net result in my case was I bought many fewer HLs pieces. And shrunk my contribution to HLs revenues at the same time. I think a lot of collectors were doing the same thing beginning around this time.

What has happened since? In 2011 there are 13 pieces listed at harbourlights.com. This could be a good thing for cash strapped collectors. But the average cost of a piece is up to $101.92, or $1,223.00 to by them all.

There is probable a role for edition size in this discussion as well. Edition sizes in 2010 and 2011 were 1,200 for Limited Editions. From a HL corporate perspective, that is a lot less overall revenue. Even if editions sell out, which I don't think that they are.

So, if you're still reading, that's the long way around to say that I don't think that sales cover expenses any longer. Economists are saying that the economic recovery may take several more years. In many places real estate values aren't expected to approach the peaks of the mid-2000s for many, many years. Even if one divides those time frames in half, we're still talking years, not months. Too long for a cash strapped company to hang on and hope for the customers to return.

Unless HLs, as a business, can figure out how to cut costs and increase revenues, without compromising the product, I don't think they can remain viable.

One man's opinion, but I'd love to hear what other's think.

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204746 09/12/11 12:21 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I think we've already established that HL's are still turning a profit, even after you figure in the their overhead. The problem sounds like will Lighthouse Depot be sticking around to fund future HL releases.

The HOPE we need to hear is that a new owner is on the horizen and keeps them HL's coming. Maybe some new minds will figure a way to reduce production costs. Maybe move production to Viatnam or Sri Lanka.

Of course the current owners could separate HL from LHD and reduce production costs. Buy I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

Here HOPING that their still will be 2012 HL releases. Even if they are later then usual.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204747 09/12/11 12:52 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Loon - Personally, I think that HLs staying around is a pipe dream. Rather then concentrate on new releases that very few will buy, you might want to concentrate on the older releases that you don't have. Now is the time to buy!

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204748 09/12/11 01:41 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I'm willing to be convinced that HLs, as an independent entity, is making a profit. But I'd be very surprised if that were the case. And even if it were, one has to factor in that new owner would have increased costs to cover the loss of support that Lighthouse Marketing and Lighthouse Depot provide now.

I believe that we collector's agree that we'd very much like HLs to continue is some fashion. But I've asked myself, if given the means, would I buy Harbour Lights? The answer is no. I simply don't see a viable business.

Now, I will admit that sometimes the 'big picture' is hard for me to bring into focus. But there are many challenges here. Any business has fixed costs. Salaries, cost of goods, marketing, etc. You can fiddle with those costs, tweak them here and there, but you cannot eliminate them. To stay in business you have to have enough revenue to consistently cover those costs. To grow your business, you have to have enough revenue to consistently exceed those costs.

I don't see HLs having that kind of revenue. To get pieces manufactured HLs has contracts with China. Those contracts are most likely some sort of sliding scale for discounts vs production. Buy 25% of the anticipated 1,200 pieces, pay X per piece. Buy 50% of the anticipated 1,200 pieces, pay X less 10%. Buy the full 1,200 pieces, pay X less 30%. Or something similar.

Those costs are fixed costs. They are the price of admission to the market. And chances are they are only break-even until the production run gets well into 1,200 pieces. So what do you do? If you take the run in pieces, you drive up your overall costs with multiple set-ups on the line, multiple shipments, etc. If you take all 1,200 up front, you take all the risk of not selling them out. Buying 1,200 and only selling 337 isn't good business, even though one can say that on a per piece basis, you made a profit. But you haven't made enough money to cover all of your costs. You have dollars sitting on the shelves in the form of the 863 unsold pieces.

There are old timers here on the Forums who have heard/seen me say this before. HLs longevity has been challenged since they were founded. There are only so many lighthouses to make replicas of. The Youngers did a great job of trying to diversify their lines and develop multiple revenue streams. Limited Editions, LLOMs, Anchor Bay, GLOWs, the balloons, etc.

Some of those worked and worked well. LEs and LLOMs probably the best. Others never caught on. The balloons and Anchor Bay, except the Coast Guard ships, which seem to have found a niche. But, as the potential owner of HLs, ask yourself what is left to do with these lines?

How many LLOMs can one seaside gift shop sell for the local lights? They've been available for several years now. Is that a growing or a declining market?

How many LEs are left to do? How many of them are well known lights and likely to sell out while attracting new collectors? Are LEs a growing or a declining market?

What about overseas? Expand internationally? HLs efforts there didn't work. But it would seem that maybe there is some market there. If another company hasn't already taken a page from HLs and opened up for business in their home country.

All-in-all, I just don't see a viable, long-term market for HLs. I think that HLs did great stuff to manage the 20 years that they have had. But I won't be surprised to hear official confirmation that they have closed their doors.

I hope I'm wrong. There are Fresnel Lens' that I'd like to add to my Lens shelf!

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204749 09/12/11 11:36 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't think there is much chance of bringing HL back from the edge. They have done a good job of killing off most of the dealer network and when LHD folds who will move the product? There are still some great dealers out there, but I don't think they could move enough product to pay for someone to order a production run.

I could create all sorts of scenarios for a small, efficient company to exist, but it must have a good distribution channel. If LHD is out of the picture who will fill in the void? I would love to think some of the remaining dealers would be able to pick up lots of new customers, but it would take a while for the customers to find the dealers. I'd love to believe so, but could the new owners survive long enough sitting on lots of unsold product while the customers found a new dealer?

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204752 09/13/11 10:17 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rumor has it that the 2012 lighthouses have been selected and drawings complete, but LHM/LHD hasn't raised enough funds to proceed any further. Yet!!!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204753 09/13/11 11:22 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Case in point to Daves comments, I'm heading up to Vermont this week (Burlington/Lake Champlain area) for work, and checked on HL dealers to check out if I had time. Nada, not one. Kinda hard to believe. My dealer in Wisconsin has taken most of their HL's off the shelf and are only special ordering them now. Needless to say they are not happy with the way things have gone, with the discounting and the like. Would hate to see HL go away, but figured it would happen at some point once the Youngers gave it up...

Mike

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204806 09/17/11 11:17 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Kinda quiet here.

Loon, anything more on the rumor that 2012 lights have been selected? And where did that rumor come from? Go back and ping them again, inquiring minds want to know the latest!

Mike, how did Vermont go? Did you have time to look for HL dealers? Maybe shops that don't show up in the list, but have some old timers on the shelves?

The silence on this topic might be telling is something.

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204813 09/18/11 12:46 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Haven't heard anything since.

My take is that LHD will be running alot of sales to come up with the funding for next years pieces.

Everything might be a little later then prior years, or maybe a much reduces amount of pieces, or maybe none.

If "HL 2012" does happen, sales better be going up or you can be sure there is no "HL 2013".

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204814 09/18/11 12:57 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Loon - My inside sources relayed to me that the 2012 pieces have NOT been ordered yet and probably won't be ordered. They told me an announcement will most likly be coming in October but did not know what the announcement was about.

My "gut feeling" is that it will be about HLs not being produced anymore. We'll see how reliable my resources are when October rolls around.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204816 09/18/11 04:01 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Thanks Loon & Rich.

I suppose another possibility for an announcement is that the Harbour Lights line has been sold to another company. Being a line within a larger organization might be a way to continue.

A company that already has ties to manufacturing in China, and distribution in the US might work. Harbour Lights would then be an added revenue stream for that company to offset/pay for those costs.

But, there would still have to be a enough revenue to at least pay for itself and not drain profits from other lines within this potential company.

I guess we'll know more in October. Maybe.

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204817 09/18/11 04:45 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Looking for a possible buyer?

Check out http://www.authenticmodels.com. Nautical product line, attention to detail, but their products are VERY expensive.

The problem facing any potential buyer: the number 1 seller of the line seems to be in financial trouble.

I suspect that when Don bought HL in 2006, no money changed hands. The Youngers probably got a percentage of sales from the inventory and from the future products for some limited number of years.

That could be the terms of sale now, if a buyer were to step forward.

The top asset? Harry Hines.

Problem assets? Unsold inventory (competes with new products), weak dealer network (hurt by actions of LHD), very weak number (under 100) of 'buy them all enthusiasts', and all the well known US lighthouses have already been made. (And those enthusiasts don't have any more display space.)

And oh, Yes --- the miserable state of the economy world-wide. who has any disposable income???

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204818 09/18/11 06:11 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If it's true HL's are still turning a profit, even if it's small. In today's miserable economy, why would you closeup shop?

Most companies are going under only after they've falling into a large amount of debt. If HL is truely profitable, aren't they doing better then most struggling businesses?

I think the announcement is about LHD closing up shop and some of their assets being sold off. One being Harbour Lights.

Maybe Harry or Bill advised Don of other companies interested in HL from before the sale to LHM.

Last edited by Lighthouse Loon; 09/18/11 06:12 PM.

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204819 09/18/11 06:57 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
At the time Bill was looking to sell the company, the ONLY person he approached was Don.

This from Bill's mouth to my ear during the Interview for the Collector's Guide.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204820 09/18/11 10:21 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I'm very willing to be very wrong about all of this. But ...

I can imagine a scenario where the math shows that on a per piece basis HLs in turning a profit. That is per piece as in a sale of one LE to one collector. The piece cost $X to produce and it is sold for $X+. The + is a profit, on that one piece.

But I don't see that enough entire editions are being sold, so that HLs as a whole is profitable.

As I was thinking about the question of profitability for HLs, it occurred to me that edition sizes are way down too. This shows the decline in distribution as dealers and collectors have withdrawn from the market. It also probably means that HLs per piece costs have gone up, as volume discounts from the factories have diminished or even disappeared.

In fact, this could be the last straw. HLs may not be able to find a manufacturer for 2012, because they want (need?) another reduction in edition size. The factory may not want the work because at those volumes they cannot make money themselves.

I see a business that is being squeezed from many directions. And the squeeze has been going on for a number of years. There doesn't seem to be any more blood to get from the HL stone.

Rick

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204821 09/19/11 12:42 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
As a business entity, with the costs of designing, sculpting, manufacturing, shipping, the paid staff, etc. Despite slow sales, Earlier this year, I had it on good authority that the company was profitable.

Yes, the manufacturers are charging more and requiring larger orders. Their costs are higher, etc.

I was told that, in fact, HL still ran at a substantial profit for Lighthouse Marketing.

I'm not sure if the real estate overhead for the warehouse and offices in West Kennebunk were factored in or not. Another source has indicated the facilities are a great financial burden.

Here is a public report on Lighthouse Marketing -- however both Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot appear to be merged into this one report. The address shown is the LHD Store, not the West Kennebunk offices and warehouse. Read the Report

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204823 09/19/11 11:38 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rick, Had some time on Friday to cruise around Vermont, but fould no HL's. Did head up to Isle La Motte and Windmill Point but could not see the lights (private property well protected). Did have a nice ice cream treat at Ben and Jerrys though...

MW

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204826 09/19/11 04:21 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Wish I realized earlier Cana Fan, I could have hooked you up. I'm assuming since you got close that the flooding is not in this area.

Last edited by rscroope; 09/19/11 07:20 PM.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204827 09/19/11 04:26 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wouldn't it great if we could get a statement from Harry & Bill on the current state of Harbour Lights!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204836 09/20/11 10:59 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, was visiting a customer in Essex Junction and there was no flooding in that area. Seemed to be in pockets. All the way up the Champlain Islands I didn't see any real evidence of flooding.

Had I known for sure how much time I would have I would have made more of an effort to see these ligths, but it's one of those things where I may have 2, 8 or no hours to kill. Just so happened this time it was closer to 8.

Mike

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204838 09/20/11 02:51 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
To bad Rob clark would have been happy to show you his lights

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204853 09/21/11 11:21 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Maybe next time I'll have meore time and be able to plan. At least I know who to contact!

MW

Last edited by Cana Fan; 09/21/11 11:21 AM.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204996 10/07/11 06:56 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Ok, is it me, but I have tried to get on lighthouse depot site from two different computers and it looks like the site has been taken down. Anybody else see this?

Last edited by SDudley; 10/07/11 06:58 PM.
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #204997 10/07/11 07:16 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Couldn't get on it either. I got a picture that said something cool is coming with a new owner. Let's see if this is the prequel to the announcement that I heard was coming in October.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205007 10/08/11 03:45 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
No one at home on the L Depot Facebook page either.
I drove by the store on RT. 1 yesterday on the way somewhere else, but didn't notice anything strange from the road.

Judy
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205016 10/10/11 01:41 AM
Wacko
Wacko
Heard at the Great Lakes Lighthouse Festival in Alpena, MI this weekend from someone who had visited the LD store very recently. Their opinion was that the LD store looked very sparse with merchandise on display for sale.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205021 10/10/11 12:21 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
LHD Web-site is still down!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205023 10/10/11 12:31 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I wonder if we should call Harbour Lights to see if there still there?

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205025 10/10/11 04:05 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I have the answer to the website issue.. They are in the process of switching over to new servers and they ran into some problems.. It should have already been back up but isn't yet.. They said it should be up again soon, business as usual!

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205026 10/10/11 04:07 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
BTW if you have called Harbour Lights or Depot and just get a message, it is because they are taking today as a holiday.. It is Columbus Day today!!

Don said the store in Wells, ME is open today and they are doing a good brisk business today..

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205028 10/10/11 08:49 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great to hear !!!

Stan M
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205029 10/10/11 09:15 PM
The Lightkeeper Offline
We made a stop at the Lighthouse Depot last Thursday. Couldn't believe my eyes. Hardly anything left in the store. *(Usually the store is jam packed with merchandise) Stuff was spread out. There was nobody shopping in the store. They were having an (end of season 40% off almost everything sale) except 2010 and 2011 Harbour Lights. All others HL's were included in the sale. All of the clearance merchandise is now on the second floor. Also there is a for sale sign in front of the building on Route 1. I mentioned the rumor about them closing which was denied by the person working there. All in all it did not look promising. Maybe they are getting ready to relocate to a smaller shop or something??

Last edited by The Lightkeeper; 10/10/11 09:18 PM.

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205030 10/10/11 09:39 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
It will be an interesting thing if the rumor I heard comes true. The date for the rumor is October 15th so we will see.

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205031 10/10/11 10:02 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The clock is ticking......

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205037 10/11/11 12:47 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
They have the following up now at Lighthousedepot.com..

Attached Files
depot.jpg (159 downloads)

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205042 10/11/11 08:18 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Could be a special "going out of business" site with everything marked down.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205059 10/12/11 06:29 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
This new page that Paul pictured above is being hosted by GoDaddy.com which implies to me that the Depot/HL is no longer running their own IT department and that perhaps my speculation above may be correct.

The custom IT needs of LHD/HL are/were all handled by Geoff Baker and are very complex. Well beyond what I would expect one could do from a GoDaddy site.

OR it could be that the site is going to be hosted elsewhere and they will point the domain there when it is ready.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205075 10/13/11 10:07 PM
The Lightkeeper Offline
It just doesn't take this long with today's techonolgy to get a web site operational, espescially if you are a mail order business.

Last edited by The Lightkeeper; 10/13/11 10:08 PM.

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205076 10/13/11 10:10 PM
The Lightkeeper Offline
Has anyone seen a Fall catalog from Lighthouse Depot??

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205088 10/14/11 12:29 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
The Lighthouse Digest website -- including the lighthouse database -- was recently severed from the Lighthouse Depot web site.

It is now at www.lighthousedigest.com

Rumor is the bills from the company that was managing the Lighthouse Depot site hadn't been paid in some time and that caused the lighthousedepot.com site to be shut down.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: flacoastie] #205089 10/14/11 12:35 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Originally Posted By: flacoastie
It will be an interesting thing if the rumor I heard comes true. The date for the rumor is October 15th so we will see.

Maybe we'll hear something tomorrow....

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205111 10/16/11 07:45 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Still no new http://www.LighthouseDepot.com website.

Not sure about an October 15 announcement; I didn't get anything. Did anyone else?

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205113 10/16/11 09:34 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I was just told that an announcement would me made on October 15th concerning HLs. I was never told what the announcement was about. It's also very funny that Patty has now left HLs. Was anyone given a reason for her leaving?

Rich
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205115 10/16/11 10:53 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
She has been looking for another job for a quite awhile now, I was told, not by any one there, Rich..

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205123 10/17/11 12:45 PM
Wacko
Wacko
Would the Patty mentioned above be Patty Samson at HL Customer Service? I noticed she was answering the phone herself sometimes in recent weeks and doing calls about 2011 HL Membership and Society pieces. I last talked with her at HL on Sept.19, 2011.

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205130 10/17/11 05:50 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
That would be the same Patti... She spells it with an I on the end...

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205139 10/17/11 10:56 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
A lady named Barbara at LD said the site should be back up by the end of the week.Rhonda, at Harbour Lights said it should be up tomorrow. Don't know what the 'surprise', is, but Barbara said the site is indeed an "e-commerce" site now.

Angels Gate
Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205158 10/20/11 01:15 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Still no new web site at lighthousedepot.com

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205180 10/21/11 05:17 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
A scaled down website is up and running now..

Lighthouse Depot

Re: Harbour Lights and Lighthouse Depot Shutting Down? [Re: BuyGlass] #205184 10/22/11 01:55 PM
Wacko
Wacko
HUGELY scaled down selection of items, except HL. The Home Decor section has only 53 items and Books only 8 items.
Contrast this to their old mailed out catalogs of 50-60 pages.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bob M 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users