Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day #203166 05/25/11 12:49 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
May 14th was our spring work day at the Old Michigan City Light. Our work weekends are a real highlight for us – not only the chance to visit with friends, but also the chance to work our magic for our favorite lighthouse. This weekend would be no different.

For the past several work weekends I try to get to Michigan City to round up many of the supplies we thought we would need in order to save time on Saturday morning. We knew we were going to need mulch, lots of it – plan was to start with 60 bags. First challenge of the weekend – how to get 60 bags of mulch from the store to the lighthouse. Well, I had driven my ‘land yacht’ so I made as much room in the back as I could and we loaded up 30 bags for the first run. Actually was kind of nice doing it this way as I drove onto the yard of the light and society director Laura and I were able to stage bags of mulch in the areas they would be needed. Workers wouldn’t have to lug them around on Saturday. Soon as we got the first load distributed I headed back to the store to try to reload and return before it started to rain. (It had started out to be such a pretty day, but the Friday the 13th thing kicked in and the weather took a turn for the ugly.) About the time we finished up it was starting to rain, so that was good timing.

Did take a moment to take a quick pic of the bus with the lighthouse as a background – do think the color fits in well with the environment. Had I had a little more time (or less rain . . .) I would have liked to back up a bit to get all of the light in the picture.

Now that the initial hauling was out of the way, it was time to head to what has become the defacto start of the weekend dinner at Swingbellies. When I had called for our reservation, the lady taking my information asked about the group and I told her who we were and what we were doing. The lady recognized us and let me know it would be nice to have us back (and I didn’t even tell her Rip wouldn’t be with us!) As folks gathered at the restaurant, conversations picked up on what was happening in everyone’s life. Laura and the society’s newsletter editor joined us for dinner, which was nice.

During dinner I discussed with some of our gardeners an idea that had been suggested for a garden. One of our projects for the weekend would be to enclose the area around the new anchor and capstan, and I suggested we work a garden into that project, combining the project with the suggestion. Laid out the rough concept for how we would build the garden and enclosure and got down to the serious business of dinner.

The above is part of the reason we like Swingbellies. Very generous portions of good food, and they let us come back . . . After dinner it was back to the hotel and our hospitality suite for more socializing and catching up.

Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203167 05/25/11 12:56 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Saturday would be a busy day and the weather forecast was promising – promising a crummy day, anyways. Got everyone out to the light and started on the various projects. Over the years it has become more of a maintenance of the landscaping, as opposed to having to create new. It is holding up nicely and really compliments the light and grounds. Our gardening division weeds, places a new layer of mulch and sometimes transplants flowers to a new area. For those who have visited the light, you know how much ground there is to cover, and our gardeners do a really great job.

In the meantime, I was off to Lowe’s to get our supplies for the big project. I was really concerned how I was going to get everything back to the light. No pick-ups this weekend, and my bus (aka the land yacht) was the closest thing we had to a hauler. I considered trying to find a trailer to rent, but fortunately Lowe’s had a stake truck that could be used for only $20 (and a great investment it was!) 800 pounds of topsoil, a pallet plus of retaining wall blocks as well as flowers.

I can recall the thoughts going thru Jeff’s head: “well, he got the pallets up onto the truck, how did he think we were going to get them off the truck?” “Wonder if he could just hit the gas and then the brakes real quick and slide the pallets off the back . . .”

Everyone pitched in and formed a supply line to unload the blocks and place them around the area where they would be used.

And, then the construction division got to work. We had roughed out the size of the wall to be built, and Doyne free-formed it a bit instead of having a regular old rectangular enclosure. Somewhere along the way, the owner of the restaurant at the yacht club next door to the light came over and after determining that we were volunteers helping the light, he offered to make pizza for lunch if we would purchase our drinks. Seemed like a good deal, so the offer was accepted. Meanwhile, time to build . . .

We had been fighting off-and-on drizzle and light rain all morning, but by the time people headed over for lunch the project was taking shape very nicely.

Unfortunately, as we returned from lunch the weather decided to develop into a more steady drizzle and eventually rain. No way were we going to leave this project unfinished, especially since the society was having an open house the next day. Plants were positioned and holes dug; grass killer was sprayed where there would not be flowers; then weed barrier was put down (and when we ran out, empty mulch bags were placed into service); and, mulch was quickly spread. Fortunately, the gardeners had saved us as much mulch as they could since the original concept for the enclosure did not use mulch. There would be annual flowers in the upper corner of the garden, and that was the only area not covered with mulch. By the time we were down to planting annuals, it was raining pretty steady and flowers went into the mud (the 800# of top soil . . .) as quickly as we could get them planted. Not always the most precise placement or even well planted, but those of us crazy enough to still be out there were pretty water logged and mud covered, so we were in a hurry to get done.

This is how it was looking when we left Saturday evening. Several of us planned to be back for the open house on Sunday, and I was going to pick up a few more bags of mulch to cover the annual portion. It rained all night long, sometimes pretty heavy. Carolyn kept wondering if there would be any annuals left Sunday morning, or if they would be washed away.

Back to the hotel to dry off and get cleaned up before heading for the hospitality suite for our evening socializing. We had supper with what we had planned to use for lunch, and that seemed to work out pretty well. I don’t think anyone was hungry when we were done. The evening would be a little sad, as Doyne and Cindy would be headed for their new home in Arizona on Monday morning. They have promised to return to visit and help some, but we will certainly miss them. They have both been so active in the Hoosier Lighthousing Club, and Doyne has been a cornerstone of all of our construction projects. (Doyne & Cindy to the right, talking with Sue and Judy).

When we headed out Sunday morning, at least it wasn’t raining heavy but it was raining. Stopped and got 4 more bags of mulch and headed to the light. The really good news was that the annuals seemed to have stayed in place. Guess that once they were in the mud they were there for the duration! As I started to spread the mulch several others showed up to help. We made quick work of that last little chore and stepped back to admire our completed project.

I think it is fair to say that we are all quite proud of that project as well as the other jobs we were able to complete:

• Completed all of the work in the flower beds – weeding, re-mulching, just generally making them look stunning
• Topped off the sand on top of the brick patio we built last spring
• Started on what will be a long term, significant undertaking to inventory the many, many articles and related type items the historical society has.
• Designed and built the new anchor display and garden.

So, all in all a great weekend. Lousy weather, but we didn’t let it win. Lots of work accomplished, lots of visiting with our lighthouse family. One great looking lighthouse and grounds by the time we were done.

Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203168 05/25/11 12:58 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
BEFORE

AFTER

Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203169 05/25/11 01:02 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Now for the rest of the story. . .

In less than a year the club and historical society have lost several members. Just a month or so ago, we lost club member Frank Olivera suddenly. In the few months preceding that, we lost former society director June Jacques; Daryl DeVries, son of society president Fred and Barb DeVries; and, Steve Glidden, husband of past society director Jackie Glidden. It had been suggested that we consider planting a garden to honor the memory of these folks, and others. One member had sent me some money to use for the garden. After talking with society director Laura Shields, I made a command decision that a garden would be a nice addition.

At Friday’s dinner as I drew up a rough outline of what the garden would be, it was designed as a rectangle that would be between the anchor and the capstan (though as you can see, this is not how it ended up . . .). The design was to have hydrangeas at the center, a rose at each corner and annuals filling out the garden. As it turns out, the hydrangeas are at the back of the garden, to hopefully grow and visually separate the anchor display from the piece of wall and bars from the Michigan City state prison; the roses are around the anchor; and, the annuals have been concentrated next to the capstan which is a little offset from the anchor. I don’t think Paul had seen the design and didn’t know the initial layout plan going into construction (this becomes important in a moment).

Sometime in mid-afternoon, Fred Devries stopped by to see how we were doing. He saw what was going on around the anchor and Paul told him we were building a memorial garden to honor those we had lost in the past year. (If I am misstating what Paul told Fred, I’m sure he will step in with a correction.) What I understood Paul to tell me was that he told Fred there was one rose for each of those we recently lost – Frank, June, Daryl and Steve. Paul noted that that really got to Fred. Well, that wasn’t the original intent, but I sure like the sentiment that it represents. I proposed the simple name “Anchor Garden” and most seem to like that. It will serve as a memorial to not just those noted above, but all those that we lose. In fact, Laura sent me a note that she just learned of the passing of a former docent at the light.

Trying to come up with something we would be able to display that would explain the significance of the garden, on Sunday morning I sat at the front office desk of the lighthouse and roughed this out:

The Anchor Garden

In honor and memory of those we have lost from our extended lighthouse family –

• Members of the Hoosier Lighthousing Club
• Michigan City Historical Society members and directors
• Old Lighthouse Museum docents
• Families of all for whom the Old Michigan City Lighthouse is such a true love

These extended family members will remain anchored to the light and in our memory.

May 2011

Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203174 05/25/11 06:09 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
WOW! The finished garden looks AWESOME! The Hoosier Lighthousing Club has truly outdone themselves. Every year we see the dedication of all of you that put in your time and hard work to make this lighthouse the very best it can be. You all should be proud of all of the work you have done. Another plus is that now you have a place to honor those who are no longer here but who have also put in their time and dedication and that will be a part of the history of this beautiful light. Well done!
waytogo

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203179 05/25/11 10:33 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Congrats on another awesome project at Old Michigan City LH by the Hoosier Lighthousing Club!
Love your new Land Yacht Dave! What was the final stats on you Legacy Van?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203191 05/25/11 07:10 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great job! Every year I am awed by the amount and quality of work you guys do! Makes me wish I knew you the way I do now when I visited the LH & Museum in 2004! I was impressed then and am more impressed now! cheers cheers
Rick

Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203202 05/25/11 11:48 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Laura Shields, MC Historical Society director, sent me these photos. She said the sun actually made a one day appearance on the Monday after our rainy weekend.

Bob, the good old van now lives at an auto salvage yard. It made it 16 good years, to lots and lots of lighthouses around the Great Lakes and along the east coast. Made 6 trips to Mackinac when I was working on the reunion, most of them with seats removed and filled with stuff for participants. It was a great vehicle and I do miss it, but it was going to finally need some fairly expensive body work to correct some rust and also needed some engine work. One or the other, but couldn't justify both.

Wanted a large vehicle, and found the Yukon XL at the right price. Great condition and very nicely equipped. It has been to OMC a couple times. Came in handy when we had our Christmas party weekend with snow. Matter of fact, I cleaned a little bit of South Haven beach sand out of it last week, still left over from the trip there in December.

Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203205 05/26/11 12:16 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The pictures I have shared are mostly of the Anchor Garden project because that is where I was most of the time. I had the compact camera sitting in the console of the bus, so I was able to grab a picture from time to time. I know that other club members have lots of pictures of the weekend, and maybe they will post some of them so you all can get a glimpse of all the members working so hard at "our" light.

Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203210 05/26/11 10:52 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the photos. Your love for this lighthouse really shines through! Great job all!

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203215 05/26/11 01:54 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What a great bunch of dedicated folks! The Anchor Garden is beautiful.

Melody
Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203217 05/26/11 03:55 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Outstanding job !!!

I always enjoy seeing what your club does for this lighthouse !!!

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Hoosier Lighthousing Club Michigan City work day [Re: Dave H] #203246 05/27/11 03:17 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
What a lucky Lighthouse!

Angels Gate

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users