Print Thread
Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35251 06/19/00 04:37 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
The first & second threads have reached the magical 50 posts each. To help keep the loading time to a minimum, this will be a continuation thread for more posts on the subject. Keep 'em coming everyone, great subject!

Use these links to read the original 100 posts on the subject:

Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 1

Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 2

Rod Watson
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 06-19-2000).]

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35252 06/19/00 01:22 PM
Jake Offline
On Creed's Music video for "Arms Wide Open"(I think that's what it is, I'm not good with this modern music thing). They have a band also playing in front of a sorta fakey Fresnel lens.
Also, I think there was one in the preview for the new Rocky and Bullwinkle movie.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35253 06/19/00 01:46 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Definitely YES to the Rocky & Bullwinkle preview.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35254 06/20/00 12:22 PM
JeffB Offline
Last night I watched Hitchcock's "To Catch a Thief" for the first time in many years. In one scene, Cary Grant is fishing off of a pier, with a lighthouse in the background. The film takes place in Cannes, France, but I don't know if this is a French lighthouse or not. Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35255 07/02/00 02:03 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Kay and I went to see "The Perfect Storm" yesterday and a lighthouse figures in several of the harbor scenes. Does anyone know which lighthouse was featured?

Gary

------------------

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35256 07/02/00 03:09 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I saw the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie and there is a lighthouse in it! It is not a real LH- it is at a movie studio. It is called the "Green Light House" and shines when someone "gives the green light" for a production. The movie is delightful! Anyone who grew up with Rocky and Bullwinkle will enjoy it. For that matter, my kids 10 and 12, loved it too. On top of it all, Cartoon Network had a marathon on July 1 of R&B cartoons! Ryan (12 year old) said he liked the movie even more having seen the cartoon! See it if you can- it was cute and quite funny!

Chris G
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35257 07/02/00 05:46 AM
Z
Zurvan Offline
Z
Gary, the lighthouses that you see the most of in "Perfect Storm" are Thatcher Island Twin Lights, Ten Pound Island and Eastern Point. There were a couple others shown that I was not sure of. At the very end when the female captain is going back out and remembering what Clooney had said to her about being a fishing boat captain and about the keepers son waving as they go by Thatcher Island, that was actually Eastern Point they show there. Those scenes were actually filmed right there in Gloucester, but the storm scenes were filmed on a set in Hollywood. Good movie, really enjoyed it.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35258 07/13/00 02:19 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Tonight on PBS "Lost Liners" featured what I believe is Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse (Ireland) in the segment on the Lusitania. http://cil2.adnet.ie/index.html?LighthouseID=11

And Father Point (Point au Pere) Lighthouse in Quebec on the St. Lawrence during the segment on the Empress of Ireland. Father Point is one of the stunning Colonel Anderson flying butress lights - awesome!
http://members.aol.com/ottoaxel/pharos/pere.htm
http://www.exn.ca/Templates/Story.cfm?ID=1998021903

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 07-13-2000).]

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35259 08/08/00 07:50 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It's not in the movies, but what the heck.

I just recieved the august Sale Eddie Bauer catalog. It has a slighty out of focus picture of West Point (WA) Lighthouse. It's on the Puget Sound. The picture is focused on a chair with a denim jacket and a laptop on it. The lighthouse can be seen in the background with the sound beyond it. Here's a description fom a website about Washington LH's.

West Point Lighthouse

West Point Lighthouse. Seattle, Washington. Photographed in April 1996. Located in Seattle's Discovery Park at the north entrance to Elliot Bay. A beautiful view of the Olympic Mountain Range in the backdrop is quite a sight to behold, and, of course, the splendor of the Puget Sound makes a visit to the area quite special. Photographing this one could be tough depending the day of the week. We were there on a Sunday morning so it was fairly easy at that time. We drove through a, posted (though not guarded) restricted area through the deactivated base, Fort Lawton. There was no parking at the lighthouse but it looked like one might be able to catch a bus from Discovery Park, again depending on the time and day of the week. We parked in a bus zone near the lighthouse and were there only a short time. The lighthouse itself was a bit disappointing--it was in disrepair and needed a new roof and some TLC. There's a massive sewage plant right next to the lighthouse, giving it one strike against a visit here. You have to be a real lighthouse lover to seek this one out. Nonetheless, we are happy to add this one to our collection.

Both pictures show a lighthouse that belies the description of the shape it's in. At least from a distance it looks nice.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35260 08/09/00 01:54 AM
Art Offline
I had a very different experience at West Point, but I visited in April of '99. Things do change. If I may quote myself from my travelog (only to avoid a link to it here -- it takes forever to load),

Quote:
You must hike about 1.5 miles (one way, lots of hills -- an invigorating walk in cool weather) to get to the West Point Lighthouse. If you have small children or Ancient Mariners in your party you can stop in the visitors center for a parking permit that will allow you to drive right up to the lighthouse to park. I understand that they also have a shuttle bus during summer weekends. Call 206/386-4236 before you go. You will want to stop in the visitors center even if you do not need a permit or shuttle to pick up a trail map and advice on the best way to get to the lighthouse.

If you arrive and the visitors center is closed, head for the north parking lot. At the far end of the lot is a grass field, beyond which is a paved road. Walk to that road and follow it to the left. It will wind up and back around. Near the top of the grade there is a CROSS WALK sign. Turn right onto the Loop Trail at that point. Follow trail signs to the south beach (north is OK too, but may take longer -- the lighthouse is where the north and south beaches meet at West Point.) The hike takes about 1/2 hour if you walk briskly. Allow substantially more time if you have children along or if you are out of shape -- the hills take their toll!

Take photos of all sides of this lighthouse; it doesn't have a bad side. I also took some time exploring tidal pools on the beach while I was there. The park is beautiful, serene. Savor it.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=42289&a=1261808&p=14313428&Sequence=1[/img]

Another angle...

A view from a distance...

Click here for the full travelog -- IF you have lots of time on your hands!

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35261 08/10/00 01:54 PM
H
Hunter Offline
H
While in S. Carolina last year, they were filming a movie in Charleston with Morris Island light as the backdrop. The movie is now out- The In Crowd.

The lighthouse makes a couple of minor appearances, but it could have been used alot more, especially a seen were it is supposedly lit providing light.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35262 08/10/00 10:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice pictures Art. I live in Oregon, but have been using your travelog some in my trips here and in Washington. I also took the trail you mentioned at Indian Beach ( Tillamook Rock ) and in the first mile or two of walking, there are some outstanding views of the light.

Ned

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35263 08/24/00 08:33 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Happened to see 2 movies this week, both with lighthouses.

The first was an oldie on AMC- Portrait of Jenny. The movie reaches its climax at a fictional light known as Lands End Light. Quite a good movie- I intend to watch it all the next time that it is on.

The second was the recent release of "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan and Renee Russo.

Forgive me if either of these were mentioned in previous threads.

Chris G
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35264 08/24/00 10:19 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Never Say Never Again James Bond/Sean Connery - While Spectra is hijacking the ICBM missles, they pass over a lighthouse.

Breakheart Ridge Clint Eastwood as Gunny, the movie concludes with his unit taking a lighthouse and proceeding to take the hill.

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-25-2000).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35265 01/11/01 07:03 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
And yet another lighthouse in the movies...

We went to see Castaway Saturday night. There is one scene where Tom Hanks and Helen Hunt are relaxing on the couch in their home. Behind the couch on a table is a picture of the two of them at Cape Hatteras. My husband thought that I was nuts for spotting such a small detail, but even he was quick to note that it indeed was CH!

Enjoyed the movie- almost made me cry- laughed a few times too. See it if you can- watch for the CH picture too!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35266 01/11/01 02:41 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I don't know if this was posted previously, but the is a lighthouse in the movie The Skulls. The last seen of the movie has the lighthouse in it. I don't know which one it is, but the movie was mainly shot in and near Toronto.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35267 09/02/01 01:38 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I just finished watching the movie Waking Ned Divine.

Not a bad little picture. I noticed as others before had that there were lighthouses in the opening scene.

Bob Scroope correctly identified them as being on the Isle of Man. I went into the Index of Lighthouse links and found a new site there about the lighthouses of the Isle of Man.

The light out in the water is the Chicken Rock Light which replaced the light that can be seen in the background, the Calf of Man light.

Here's the link for the site
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/manx/maritime/lighthse/intro.htm

If you have not seen the movie rent it when you get a chance. It has a certain Irish charm to it. As you can tell I'm right on top of the new movies out there (It was filmed in 1998)

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35268 09/02/01 12:30 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A lighthouse appears in the opening scenes of a TV ad for celebrex. It looks like MacQuarie in Australia, but can anyone confirm that?

John

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35269 09/03/01 12:59 AM
Ed14 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I thought the same thing. The flagpole is flying the stars & stripes but I guess that doesn't really mean much.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35270 09/03/01 12:32 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The "Old Lighthouse Restaurant" is a main setting in the movie "The Goonies". Is this the remains of an actual lighthouse or just another Hollywood pre-fab? The location of the shoot indicates that this would have been a suitable location for an actual light. Just curious.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35271 09/04/01 08:35 PM
JeffMarsh Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The movie "Officer and a Gentleman" starring Debra Winger and Richard Gere was filmed on location very near Point Wilson, WA. You can see it very clearly in several backdrops. The motel in Port Townsend where several scenes were shot is still there, though they don't advertise about it much anymore.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35272 09/07/01 11:21 PM
Jake Offline
For you Simpson's fans out there, there was a pretty funny scene in one that I saw recently. While Homer was looking for a friend, he went to the lighthouse, sure that the keeper could be his new friend. Next to the door, there was a sign that read: "This Light Kept by Earl." When he got to the top, there was a computer that said
Hello, I'm
Electronic
Automatic
Robotic
Lighthouse.
Needless to say, he wasn't too happy.

Jakers

Jakers
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35273 09/07/01 11:35 PM
Larry Offline
Not a movie, but a new Coke commercial (I think), with 3 or 4 kids surfing. I think it's Portland Head in the background. They make a point of talking about how there "aren't many surfers around here."

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35274 09/08/01 01:13 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Larry,

The light in that Coke commercial is actually Pigeon Point, CA. Piegeon Point has been used in a number of commercials and shows, and seems to end up on the east coast often. Ain't it wonderful what those dunces on Madison Avenue foist off on the public as fact or semi-fact????

Dave

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35275 09/08/01 01:36 AM
Larry Offline
Thanks Dave.

I just caught a quick glimpse. It was tall, white, and on some rocks, and the kids looked cold in the water.

Pigeon Point was on the TV show Providence last season. Providence, as in Rhode Island!

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35276 04/08/02 01:17 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Haven't had a posting here for some time apparently but I've got one I don't believe has been mentioned.

Just finished watching a movie called "Deeply". It was made it 2000 and featured Lynn Redgrave. While in the kitchen with one eye on the movie I spotted a lighthouse. All I had figured out so far was that the location was an island. As I dashed to get closer to the TV while saying "lighthouse" (that's how we do this, right?) I practically stumbled and the scene had changed by the time I got close enough. There was another scene later so I got a pretty good view. Hmmm, red and white, and the inhabitants speaking English with a bit of an accent....

Tried the web but hadn't gotten further than Canada by the time the movie ended. Fortunately in the film credits the location was listed, Ironbound Island, Nova Scotia.

There are two lights there West and East. East was the one in the movie.
http://members.aol.com/ottoaxel/pharos/iron1.jpg
http://www.lighthousedigest.com/database/uniquelighthouse.cfm?value=1098

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35277 10/27/03 07:43 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I just finished watching an old movie from 1948 - Johnny Belinda with Jane Wyman.

It's actually older than me, but it has a Lighthouse in it. The movie is set in the Cape Breton section of Nova Scotia but the Lighthouse used is actually Point Cabrillo in California.

I found some sites on the movie that confimed my suspicion- they filmed much of the movie in the Mendocino, CA area.

The Lighthouse is only seen at the very beginning of the movie, but it is mentioned later when it's foghorn starts blowing during a pivitol scene in the movie.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35278 10/28/03 11:30 AM
DMancini Offline
I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned or not, but in 2000 there was a movie called "A Rumor of Angels," which starred Vanessa Redgrave and Ray Liotta. I don't think it ever went into wide release (I know it did play in NYC for about a week). Pretty much a straight to video (DVD?) movie.

A Rumor of Angels

Anyway, at the very end, there is a lighthouse. It just so happens to be Montauk (although they altered it a bit). They didn't film at the lighthouse, but rather used a photo and inserted into the scene. And guess who took the photo? Our own Bob Muller (I believe he is even in the credits). The funny thing is, the movie was filmed in Canada, and they decided to use a US lighthouse!

I never saw the whole movie, so I don't even know the plotline. But I believe the lighthouse only appears in the final scenes of the movie.

And there is your obscure lighthouse movie trivia for the day! laugh

Diane
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35279 11/01/03 03:12 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well I went back through the previous 2 threads and this one, and was really surprised no one had mentioned the lighthouse scene from the old movie Peyton Place. Connie McKenna and Michael Rossi go for a drive and then are walking around this light. I think it is Brant Pt.

On a more recent viewing, Walmart is doing a commerical with a family picnicing and Portland Head in the background.

Melody
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35280 02/01/04 04:02 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was watching an old movie from 1941 this morning, called "dive Bomber". At the end of the movie a pilot testing a new high altitude suit blacks out and crashes his airplane at the foot of Old Point Loma lighthouse in San Diego.

Eric
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35281 02/01/04 09:30 PM
T
TAZ3962 Offline
T
Has anyone seen the movie "The Ring"? There is a website on Moesko Island that show's the lighthouse in the background, the same photo used in the movie. The websites are a little freaky given the movie content.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35282 02/02/04 12:00 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I not only saw The Ring but I have the movie on DVD. My son gave it to me for Christmas and didn't mention the lighthouse but apologised for not giving it to me on VHS format. eek

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35283 02/05/04 12:23 AM
eskilady Offline
I've just started to watch a movie on CBS - Hallmark Hall of Fame, called the Blackwater Lightship and there is a lighthouse and a lightship in it. Looks like it takes place over in Ireland and the town is called Blackwater. It is very interesting, starring Angela Landsbury and Diane Weist. So far, it is very good.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35284 02/05/04 04:45 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Has anyone ever seen the music video "From Here to Eternity" by Michael Peterson? The whole thing is about a guy proposing to his girlfriend and was filmed at Pt. Reyes. Man was I bawling at the end!!

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35285 02/05/04 12:39 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I missed Hallmark's, The Blackwater Lightship last night. How was it, Eskilady? I'm curious to know how much the lightship figures into the story?

Judy

Judy
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35286 02/05/04 12:46 PM
eskilady Offline
Blackwater Lightship was good but the lighthouse didn't figure into the story very much except that it was there alot - lots of pictures of it as Angela Landsbury's character lived nearby so you saw it in alot of the shots. It was basically a memory of when the one character was younger and the lightship was there but had been decommissioned as time went along. How I would have loved to have lived in the house that Angela Landsbury did - walk across the street to the ocean and with lighthouse right there. I tried to see where it was filmed but the credits didn't say. It was suppose to take place in Ireland, near Dublin.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35287 02/05/04 12:57 PM
eskilady Offline
I was searching on the web to find out where it might be and it seems to be Tuskar Lighthouse in Ireland. There were 3 females in the movie - Granny, Mom and daughter and Mom's husband died. The lighthouse and lightship played a part because Mom thought that dad was like the lighthouse, stable and longlived and it turned out that he was like the lightship as he died of cancer. The three females moved through all their disagreements because mom's son was gay and had contracted AIDS and was dying. It made the three females work out their problem. Does this make sense? It was a good movie with beautiful scenery.

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35288 02/05/04 01:41 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks! I'm sorry I had to miss it, but since it's Hallmark, it will probably be released as a video. I've never seen a Hallmark release yet that I didn't like, and this one has the added bonus of the scenery!

I fell on the ice last night and thought my wrist was broken...but just a sprain, so my evening went downhill (no pun frown ). Sore all over today...but I'll survive. Good time to watch a movie!

Judy

Judy
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35289 02/05/04 04:05 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I didn't watch the movie yet (I Tivoed it), but it was filmed in Ireland this past September.

They got angela Lansbury to join the cast by filming it there- she's had a house there for a long time. I have to see if I still have the paper with the story about exactly where it was fimed- but south of Dublin sounds right.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35290 04/05/04 10:38 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Has anyone seen Jersey Girl yet? John and I had a few laughs but overall a pretty average movie. There are a couple of nice shots of Navesink lighthouse.

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35291 04/05/04 11:00 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned "Anne of Green Gables" yet, THere are several scenes of a lighthouse. I don't know which it is, but it is well done in the movie.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35292 04/05/04 12:17 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I haven't seen Jersey girl yet but there should be some scenes with Tinicum Rear Range also. (It's the one that looks alot like a water tower)

They did extensive filming in Paulsboro- even decorated the Lighthouse for Christmas, even though it was nowhere near Christmas.

I think they may have filmed a baseball game there also- there's a ball field underneath it.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35293 04/06/04 08:43 AM
Shirin Offline
Supposedly the Tinicum light scenes were cut out of Jersey Girl but should be on the DVD when it comes out. That was what was mentioned at the last NJLHS meeting.

Shirin
Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 #35294 04/06/04 03:52 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Shirin,

Thanks for the update. I'd have known that if I hadn't been galavanting around Florida and it's Lighthouses and been in NJ where I belonged.

I'm hoping to get back from Maine in time for the next meeting (where I'll be doing some more Lighthousing at least)

Dennis

Re: Lighthouses in the Movies: Part 3 [Re: Rod Watson] #201922 03/30/11 05:59 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
for Judy

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,319 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users