Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199277 08/18/10 06:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
That's correct, the title of this thread says Side Trips, as in plural..

There will be 2 lighthousing trips, one before and one after the Cruise.. Derith is putting together the pre-cruise tour and the United States Lighthouse Society is planning a post-cruise tour of the Puget Sound Area.. Derith hopes to have the outline done by the end of the month on the pre-tour. Some things are known already as it will be an individual vehicle tour, your or a rental. It will start on the 4th of June in the Seattle area work the way to the coast, include one flyover then back to Seattle area and a boat trip touring Puget Sound including the San Juan Islands.. Ending on the Wednesday before we board the ship on Friday to start the Cruise leaving a day in Seattle to get ready for the Cruise and or see Seattle and rest for a day.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199278 08/18/10 06:32 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The United States Lighthouse Society Puget Sound Tour..

The following information was sent to me by Jeff Gales of the USLS and is pretty compete except for pricing which Jeff will be getting back to me about shortly..

The following link will take you to images of an expanded version (2006) of what is being planned for the post-cruise tour.. The 2006 tour was a little longer with a few more lights, it was thought that the 3 and 1/2 days version would be more convenient for people just coming off of the Cruise..

2006 Puget Sound Tour

Puget Sound 2006 Group

Quote:
U.S. Lighthouse Society's

Lighthouses of Puget Sound – June 17 to 20

From satellite images taken above the state of Washington , you can clearly see the jagged arms of Puget Sound which were etched by glaciers over thousands of years. These glaciers created a vast, inland sea which is over 2,000 miles long and famous lighthouses dot the landscape. Our abridged Puget Sound tour will give you the highlights of the region from land and sea.

Friday, June 17 – The tour begins with check-in at a Seattle airport hotel followed that evening by a traditional Society welcome dinner. For those driving, vehicles can be left at the hotel for the duration of the excursion at no charge. A free shuttle will be provided for people arriving by plane (or cruise ship).

Saturday, June 18 – After breakfast we’ll head to our first lighthouse, Alki Point, which is located at the southern entrance of Seattle ’s Elliot Bay . Interestingly enough, Alki marks the spot where the first white settlers arrived in 1851. Next on the agenda, the group will head to the West Point Light which marks the hazardous shoal and northern entrance into Elliott Bay . The beacon, located in Seattle ’s Discovery Park , remains essentially unchanged from the time it was built and has recently undergone a major renovation. Heading north, the group will enjoy a picnic lunch at the famous Mukilteo Lighthouse and a tour of the beautifully restored tower and ancillary buildings.

Visiting the Puget Sound region goes hand in hand with riding ferries, and after our tour of Mukilteo we’ll drive north to Anacortes and hop on our first ferry of the trip to Friday Harbor . This beautiful voyage through the northern islands of Puget Sound will enable the group to view the stunning scenery and wildlife of the region. Once we arrive at our destination, the group will make their way to the Lime Kiln Lighthouse for a tour. Built in 1919, Lime Kiln is located on the west side of San Juan Island in Dead Man’s Bay overlooking Haro Strait . San Juan Island received its name from the Spanish explorer Francisco de Eliza who charted and explored the islands in 1791. After the tour of the lighthouse, the group will enjoy dinner and the night in Friday Harbor .

Sunday, June 19 – After breakfast, the group will embark on one of the highlights of the trip, a chartered cruise to the lighthouses of the San Juans. These include Patos Island , Turn Point, Lime Kiln, Cattle Point and Burrows Island . The group will also enjoy lunch this day aboard the vessel. After the cruise, and a short drive, we’ll board the ferry for the voyage back to Anacortes. Once there, on to Whidbey Island for a tour of the Admiralty Head Lighthouse. Admiralty Head is a 90-foot high promontory that projects into Admiralty Inlet on the west coast of Whidbey Island . It acquired the name from Admiralty Inlet, the waterway between the Olympic Peninsula and Whidbey Island, connecting the Strait of Juan de Fuca with Puget Sound . Following the tour, the group will head to Oak Harbor , a small town on Whidbey, for dinner and the night.

Monday, June 20 – Following breakfast, the group will take their final ferry ride of the trip from Whidbey to Port Townsend. Upon arrival, we’ll head to Point Wilson Lighthouse for a tour. Admiralty Inlet was considered so strategic to the defense of Puget Sound at the turn of the century that three forts were built at the entrance with huge guns creating a "Triangle of Fire" that could theoretically thwart any invasion attempt by sea. Admiralty Head on the Whidbey side and Point Wilson on the Port Townsend side mark the entrance to Puget Sound ( Fort Worden , on the Quimper Peninsula marks the third point of the impenetrable triangle). After a drive south along the Kitsap Peninsula , the group will arrive at the Point No Point Light Station, headquarters to the U.S. Lighthouse Society. Here we’ll enjoy a tour of the facility and picnic lunch. Point No Point has the distinction of being the oldest lighthouse on Puget Sound which is located on a low finger of land that the local Native American tribes had given the name - Hahd-skus, meaning long nose. After the tour and lunch, the group will make their way back to Seattle for flights home and car pick up.

Puget Sound, WA is steeped in maritime history, and this tour will give you a great opportunity to experience the best the area has to offer including the unique natural environment and beautiful lighthouses of the region. For more information, please visit the U.S. Lighthouse Society website and click on "Tours", or contact Jeff at headquarters - 415-362-7255 / jeff@uslhs.org

Jeffrey S. Gales
United States Lighthouse Society
A Nonprofit Historical & Educational Organization
9005 Point No Point Rd., NE
Hansville, WA 98340
(415) 362-7255 / (415) 362-7464 fax

www.uslhs.org

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199279 08/18/10 07:10 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow! That is some serious lighthousing. I am wondering if pixie dust can get us onto Tatoosh.

Laura
Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199280 08/19/10 12:42 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow is right !!! I wonder how long I'll be away from home?

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199281 09/01/10 01:47 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here is the basic plan from Derith.. If you have a real interest you will need to email Derith and CC me, so we can compile a group list and know how many rooms will be needed. Everyone will be responsible for his or her own transportation but Derith hopes that it will be possible to arrange some car pooling amongst the group.

Everyone also will be responsible for his or her meals. The only other costs will be the plane charter (very reasonable), a couple of small ferry fees and the boat fee for touring the San Juans..

This plan of course will need some adjusting as we go along, but Derith has tried to put together a plan that isn't too long of days but up close and personal where possible.. This is beautiful country so the traveling in between lights will be very enjoyable as well!!

Derith Tour of Washington Lights

Friday - June 3, 2011
Everyone flies into Seattle and we eat together at Anthony’s on the wharf…perhaps the Space Needle at night

Saturday - June 4, 2011
Lightship Swiftsure - Docked in Seattle
West Point Lighthouse - Under restoration now
Alki Lighthouse - 1:30 until 4
Pt. Robinson Lighthouse - Private Tour

Sunday - June 5, 2011
Brown’s Point Lighthouse - Photo Op
Dofflemeyer Lighthouse - Photo Op
Gray’s Harbor Lighthouse - Tours 10-4
Westport Maritime Museum - Open 10-4
(Destruction Island 1st order is here)

Monday - June 6, 2011
North Head Lighthouse - Hours unknown
Cape Disappointment Lighthouse - Photo op
Point-No-Point Lighthouse - Hours unknown

Tuesday - June 7, 2011
Point Wilson Lighthouse - Private tour
Marrowstone Lighthouse - Photo Opt
Aerial flight of New Dungeness, Cape Flattery (Tatoosh), and Destruction Island Lighthouses

Wednesday - June 8, 2011
Cruise in the San Juans - Burrows Island, Patos Island, Stuart Island (Turn Point), Lime Kiln and Cattle Point…possible to see a few Canadian lights.
Trip on water from 1pm to 6pm.
We will park our cars at the Anacortes Ferry slip and walk on to the ferry that goes to Orcas Island.
This will be an all day trek….

Thursday - June 9, 2011
Admiralty Head Lighthouse - Open 11-4
Mukilteo Lighthouse - Private tour
Remainder of day free

Derith's email:

nanaads@tampabay.rr.com

CC me at:

wackopaul@att.net

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199282 09/01/10 03:27 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Unfortunately, we are arriving in Seattle on Saturday the 4th. We'll just have to make our own plans.

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199283 09/01/10 04:31 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
You would be able to join the group in progress when you arrive, like at Alki Lighthouse, then pick up what you missed on Thursday the 9th.. That is the beauty of how Derith has this planned out.

I would suggest that you should still email Derith and CC me, of your possible interest and that way we can see if it might work out for you..

Derith knows this area like the back of her hand and the words "Private tour" mean just that..

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199284 09/01/10 09:17 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sent my email, I am very interested.

Any other interested lady want to be roommates? Also, interested in carpooling.

Melody
Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199285 09/03/10 03:19 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A little more on the post Cruise tour Jeff Gales of the USLHS tells me they hope to have the pricing figured out for their tour by the first part of October and he will let me know so I can post the information here..

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199286 09/04/10 03:07 PM
Twiggy Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Sent my e-mail a couple of days ago. I, too am very interested.
In Both Derith & Jeff tours
Twiggy

Twiggy
Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199287 09/14/10 08:17 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul/Derith, if my sister and bro-in-law are still stationed at their current residence, I would like to be added to the list for the plane flight and boat cruise. I've seen the rest of the lighthouses multiple times so I would join the rest of the group on just those two days. Let me know if you need further info.

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199288 09/20/10 11:36 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Larry and I just sent our email to Derith letting her know we are very interested and most likely will participate in the pre-cruise side trip. We are really looking forward to this excursion as well as the cruise.

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips #199289 09/21/10 12:58 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Jen you need to email Derith and copy me on what you would like to do.. That way she can keep it all in one place..

Derith's email:

nanaads@tampabay.rr.com

CC me at:

wackopaul@att.net

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips [Re: WackoPaul] #200149 01/10/11 11:26 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I am re-posting the information on Derith's pre-cruise tour of lighthouses.. Derith called me and said the response is about 30 of us going and she is going to send out a group email to those who have shown interest in being in the group.

If you want to go with us and haven't either responded so far or you have and you don't receive the group email in the next couple of days you will need to contact Derith and cc me of your interest as Derith is going to firm up the group on February 1st so she can finalize plans..

Here is the basic plan from Derith.. Everyone will be responsible for his or her own transportation but Derith hopes that it will be possible to arrange some car pooling amongst the group.

Everyone also will be responsible for his or her meals. The only other costs will be the plane charter (very reasonable), a couple of small ferry fees and the boat fee for touring the San Juans..

This plan of course will need some adjusting as we go along, but Derith has tried to put together a plan that isn't too long of days but up close and personal where possible.. This is beautiful country so the traveling in between lights will be very enjoyable as well!!

Derith Tour of Washington Lights

Friday - June 3, 2011
Everyone flies into Seattle and we eat together at Anthony’s on the wharf…perhaps the Space Needle at night

Saturday - June 4, 2011
Lightship Swiftsure - Docked in Seattle
West Point Lighthouse - Under restoration now
Alki Lighthouse - 1:30 until 4
Pt. Robinson Lighthouse - Private Tour

Sunday - June 5, 2011
Brown’s Point Lighthouse - Photo Op
Dofflemeyer Lighthouse - Photo Op
Gray’s Harbor Lighthouse - Tours 10-4
Westport Maritime Museum - Open 10-4
(Destruction Island 1st order is here)

Monday - June 6, 2011
North Head Lighthouse - Hours unknown
Cape Disappointment Lighthouse - Photo op
Point-No-Point Lighthouse - Hours unknown

Tuesday - June 7, 2011
Point Wilson Lighthouse - Private tour
Marrowstone Lighthouse - Photo Opt
Aerial flight of New Dungeness, Cape Flattery (Tatoosh), and Destruction Island Lighthouses

Wednesday - June 8, 2011
Cruise in the San Juans - Burrows Island, Patos Island, Stuart Island (Turn Point), Lime Kiln and Cattle Point…possible to see a few Canadian lights.
Trip on water from 1pm to 6pm.
We will park our cars at the Anacortes Ferry slip and walk on to the ferry that goes to Orcas Island.
This will be an all day trek….

Thursday - June 9, 2011
Admiralty Head Lighthouse - Open 11-4
Mukilteo Lighthouse - Private tour
Remainder of day free

Derith's email:

nanaads@tampabay.rr.com

CC me at:

wackopaul@att.net

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips [Re: WackoPaul] #200571 02/01/11 10:43 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Derith called me last night and said we still have room for 2 more on the San Juans Cruise. There are 44 coming on the cruise so far, today is the last chance to join the group.. Email Derith today if you are interested.. It sounds like we are going to have a great group on the pre-cruise tour with Derith, she has had good responses from her contacts at all of the stops on the tour..

Derith's email:

nanaads@tampabay.rr.com

CC me at:

wackopaul@att.net

Re: Alaska Cruise Side Trips [Re: WackoPaul] #201237 03/03/11 01:06 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Since the pre-cruise tour is fully booked, I thought I would post the link to the USLHS post-cruise tour for anyone still interested...

Puget Sound Weekend Tour

They have a link to the registration form at the top of the page or their contact information follows..

Call their office at 415-362-7255 or email them at jeff@uslhs.org

Moderated by  WackoPaul 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users