Does anyone know if there is a preservation group aligned with Old Point Comfort? Being from Hampton, this lighthouse means a lot to me. The Army is closing the Ft Monroe post shortly and the land is being turned over to the local government. I've been reading the local paper online, and have seen a number of stories regarding the post itself, but nothing specific to the lighthouse or the Keeper's Qtrs.

A task force has been assembled to detemine how best to handle the property. This is where I get concerned. Yes the lighthouse is on the list of Virginia Historical properties, but that doesn't mean that all access could be blocked to the light. I also wonder what will happen to the Keeper's Qtrs which have been used as officer housing for many years, and is supposed to be in excellent condition. Wouldn't it be great if the house could be turned into a musuem and the light opened for climbing or even just opened so people could go inside?

My fear is that all the surrounding property will have high-end housing developed, and access will be cut-off. Also that the keeper's Qtrs will be sold and it's historical integrity destroyed. The propery is very valuable since it is beach front. Anybody have more information?

Melody