have seen on your travels. Someone also
said that big, well-known projects are
already getting good money, and maybe we
should look for those who are restoring
but not in the limelight for these big
donations.

Who would like to volunteer to compile
the final list after 2 weeks or so and
see how many counts for each lighthouse?
That would give all of us some
indication of where we feel help is
needed, and narrow down the contenders.

Barbara

ladylightkeeper
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20041 09/19/99 04:02 PM
LamarB Offline
Here's my list:

Sabine Pass, LA
Round Island, MS
Sand Island, AL
Cape St. George, FL
Morris Island, SC
Rockland Breakwater, ME
Crisp Point, MI
Esopus Meadows, NY
St. George Reef, CA

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 09-19-99).]

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20042 09/20/99 03:47 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
A beginning to my list:

Cape Neddick (Nubble), ME
Rockland Breakwater, ME
Thacher Island (twin lights), MA
Avery Point, CT - monument to all US
lighthouse keepers

ladylightkeeper
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20043 09/20/99 02:33 PM
LamarB Offline
Come on everybody! Surely you know of some worthy groups! You don't HAVE to post ten, it could be any number.

By keeping quiet and not posting your list, you are assuring that YOUR favorite lighthouse preservation group(s) will NOT be the recepient!

If you don't post, your voice won't be heard.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20044 09/20/99 03:37 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
Here is my list of lights:

Fire Island Lighthouse Preservation Society
Save Esopus Lighthouse Commision
Hudson-Athens Preservation Society
Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy
Friends of Rockland Breakwater
Morris Island, South Carolina
Southold Historical Society (Horton Point)

I would also like to add Cedar Island Light to my list (thanks Bob). I didn't include it at first because there is no formal organization behind it. Hopefully in the future there will be.

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 09-22-99).]

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20045 09/20/99 05:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of course we can always use all the help that we can get here at the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse. So my vote would go for the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse.

"TheLightkeeper"

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20046 09/20/99 05:51 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Esopus Meadows
Hudson-Athens

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20047 09/20/99 07:17 PM
G
Greydawn Offline
G
Morris Island SC gets my vote.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20048 09/20/99 10:50 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
So many deserving lights, how best to pick?

All of the suggestions so far have been wonderful, but I'm stuggling with my own list. Many lights need help, else why are we doing this? At the same time, many lights already have well established networks of volunteers and organizations working to preserve them.

The way I see the 'Wacko Factor' is as an extra contribution of funds. Funds that were not budgeted for and therefore can be dedicated to something in the preservation effort that otherwise would not happen, or would be delayed.

For instance, the groups working to save East Point light in NJ have been working for years and have recently renovated the lantern room. There's still much more to be done and they need funds, but they're well organized and have accomplished a lot. The same with Absecon, NJ light. The state of NJ has contributed to that effort.

On the other hand, Round Island, MS was destroyed last year by one of the hurricanes that hit the gulf coast. Even if there were restoration efforts at the time, the complete loss of the tower was a devestating blow that had to set back the restoration plans and budget.

Given a choice between the three I mentioned to pass on a gift of 'extra' money, my vote would be for Round Island.

Finally, I admit that I don't know as much about the lighthouses and their plights in some areas of the country as in others. So I hope that people from all over will nominate the lights that they know about.

Now my list, in no particular order.

East Point, NJ
Absecon, NJ
Anclote Key, FL
Cape St. George, FL
Price's Creek, NC
Roanoke River, NC
Round Island, MS
Sabine Pass, LA/TX
Sand Island, AL
West Rigolet, LA

I'm not even sure that all of these lights have a current effort underway to save them. But I've seen them all, either in person or in pictures, and they need help.

Rick

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20049 09/20/99 11:43 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Rick, your comments are excellent and show a concern that our money goes to a restoration operation where it is not only needed but appreciated. Your point is well-taken that there are smaller projects out there that don't have constant funds coming in like some which are well-publicized and have a big volunteer backing, and our donation might just make a difference on some one item that drastically needs immediate attention or stabilizing.

I think it is important though, that we know for each nominated light, that there is an organized group really doing restoraton work -- hopefully set up for non-profit to show its serious intent.

If you live in one of the states on Rick's list or know someone who can do some "research", will you please post here which of the lights on his list meet our requirements for having a working organization. Thanks for your help.

ladylightkeeper
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20050 09/21/99 12:18 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I would tend to agree with Rick's comments with one thing factored in - any light that would receive donations really needs to be one that is accessable to the public. This would leave some out of the running- Price's Creek, the Saginaw River light that Todd walked out two and others that are on private property and guests not welcomed should not receive support. Unfortunate position to take, but if someone wants to "hog" the light all to themselves they should accept responsibility for restoration and upkeep.

Some lights that are worthy:
Crsip Point
Morris Island
Round Island, AL
Esopus Meadows
St. Helena, MI

and I'm sure there will be more come to mind. These are lights where someone has recently taken on the task of restoring them to their original beauty and want to make them available to all to enjoy. These are causes I could buy into.

IMHO,
Dave

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20051 09/21/99 01:15 AM
R
Richard W Offline
R
The first couple that come to mind are:

Cape St. George FL
Morris Island S.C.

Richard Weaver
One of the Smoky Mtn. Flame Keepers

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20052 09/21/99 04:04 PM
LamarB Offline
Rick makes some excellent points. For instance, I'm Secretary and a founding member of the Manchac Lighthouse Committee the purpose of which is to preserve and restore the Pass Manchac, LA lighthouse and its history, and make it available again to the public. I did NOT put this LH on my list because we have adequate funding for our present needs. We have several other problems, but funding is not one of them. No doubt later we will. We don't turn away donations but we are not actively soliciting right now.

Maybe this sounds like lighthouse preservation group heresy because we all need funds for various projects, but that's not the question here. The question is which is MOST needy.

On the other hand, Round Island, MS has an immediate need. They've recovered most of the original bricks and the original lantern room from the hurricane last year. They have workable plans to right the lower, intact portion onto a new much more secure foundation, rebuild using the original bricks, repair the lantern room with parts cast from the surviving pieces using metallurgically identical metal, etc. They need money and local volunteers.

And another example is the West Rigolets, LA lighthouse. Our Manchac Committee plans to tackle that one once we get work on Pass Manchac under way. This is not IMHO a viable recepient of Wacko Pin funds. I've done preliminary research on West Rigolets and the ownership is not even clear yet, much less a working preservation plan.

Well, so much for my opinion. For the moment .
[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 09-21-99).]

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20053 09/21/99 04:41 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Being From North Carolina, Prices Creek comes to mind, but I have never heard of a group whising to repair it. The next light on my list would have to be Morris Island SC, which presently enjoys a well equiped group working to save her. After that I would say yes to any of these lights.
3. Round Island MS
4. Ancoltte Key FL
5. Sand Island AL
6. Saint George FL
7. any light in need!!

Eric
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20054 09/21/99 05:58 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Morris Island is in the Atlantic Ocean. If we don't act quickly, she will fall.

MOBY

Moby
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20055 09/21/99 06:11 PM
Q
QC Offline
Q
My sugestion would be to consider any lighthouse on the doomsday list in the Lighthouse Digest.
My first vote has to go to Morris Island.
2nd Sharps Island.
Take care guys,
George

George
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20056 09/21/99 06:41 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Plum Island LH
Cedar Island Lighthouse
Long Beach Bar 'Bug Light'

First and third are projects of East End Seaport and Marine Foundation.
Number two is a pet project of Wildbird, Mike Seewald and I who are actively looking for an adoptive society!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20057 09/22/99 05:15 PM
JeffB Offline
Not a list, just one lighthouse. I can't state it any better then Moby. The island of Morris Island is gone. The lighthouse needs help fast. Can I make this votes 1 thru 10?

Jeff
Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20058 09/22/99 08:50 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Since my husband grew up in Catskill, NY, I have to vote for any of the Hudson River lights, especially Esopus Meadows. I used to live in South Carolina, so my vote would go to Morris Island in Charleston, SC.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20059 09/22/99 09:26 PM
Jim Chesher Offline
Having lived in Charleston for 20 years and having both Morris Island HL's, my vote goes to the preservation group for the Morris Island Lighthouse.

------------------
Jim Chesher

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20060 09/22/99 11:32 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here is my list;

Morris Island
Sand Island
Cape St. George
Two Harbors MN.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20061 09/22/99 11:50 PM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
Can I nominate a lightship? I've just learned that WAL-605 (RELIEF) may be scrapped! We are waiting for money to be freed to allow the ship to be dry-docked. If hull plates need to be replaced, it is likely the ship will be sold for scrap. It may well run up to a million dollars to replace hull plates. There are only 15 of these ships left-we cannot afford to lose another one! It breaks my heart to think that the RELIEF may meet the shipwrecker. Another piece of lighthouse/maritime history gone.

Sorry folks, I know you are into lighthouses-I am too, and didn't understand the importance of lightships until I started to work on the RELIEF.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20062 09/23/99 12:26 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Your news about the possible demise of RELIEF comes as a surprise. I thought the US Lighthouse Society owned it? Or was it the US Lightship Trust?

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20063 09/23/99 01:41 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Barbara
I would be happy to compile the list of lighthouses listed in this thread at the end of two weeks. My vote goes to Morris Island.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20064 09/23/99 04:08 PM
D
Diane Offline
D
Here's a list of the lighthouses I'm concerned about:

SAND ISLAND ALABAMA
ROUND ISLAND MISSISSIPPI
Cape St. George, Florida
Morris Island, South Carolina
Sabine Pass, Louisiana
Sabine Bank Light, Louisiana

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20065 09/23/99 05:33 PM
B
Bob Cappuccio Offline
B
Another wonderful idea!
This is a actual story in the latest Lighthouse Digest Magazine...I think this is a lighthouse in desperate need.When looking at the photo,its amazing its still standing.

Funds are still needed to save the Grand Harbour Lighthouse on Grand Manan Island,Canada.In may of 1999,we declared this as the "MOST Endangered Lighthouse in North America."During the first fund raising period,we stated that we had a matching dollar for dollar grant that expired on June 30th 1999,and requested donations sent to The American Lighthouse Foundation.
Donations totalling $5820.00 were recieved.The American Lighthouse Foundations Board of Directors pledged an additional 4000.00 from its general fund,bringing the total to 9820.00.With the matching grant,that brought the total to 19,640.00.UNFORTUNETLY.since June 30th only 170.00 in donations have been sent in.
Since then,a number of people have come forward with a desire of forming a Friends of Grand Harbour.The group has a number of volunteer crafts people,willing to do much of the labor and even a company that is willing to donate the doors and windows.
As of press time,a number of legal snags developed,including a liability problem should anyone working on the lighthouse get injured.The possibility arose that the owner of the island could get sued.This,along with some other minor problems have delayed stabilization of the structure,however,work is expected to start by press time.(end)

The picture of the lighthouse is worth a thousand words.That would be my pick.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20066 09/23/99 10:47 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
For a few days now I've been thinking about donations towards a lighthouse fund thanks to this forum. I am not very familiar or knowledgeable yet on the status of lighthouses. I can only go by the experience of knowledge you all have.

Every single day I get at least one compliment regarding my HL's screensaver. If I had purchased a screensaver as nice as that one it would have cost at least $20. So, I have decided to send a donation to a lighthouse fund, in return for my screensaver.

Bob C - Can you please tell me where I can send my donation for the lighthouse you mentioned, Grand Harbour.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20067 09/23/99 11:11 PM
B
Bob Cappuccio Offline
B
Hi Joanne,

The address for the donations are:

American Lighthouse Foundation
Grand Harbour Fund
P.O.Box 889
Wells,Maine 04090

If you go lighthousedigest.com..then go to the archive section..then to the June 1999 issue,they may have the article and picture that I am looking at now.Its is falling apart..the walls are falling apart..no doors or windows..such a sad sight.

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20068 09/24/99 12:01 AM
Wildbird99 Offline
Since my area of expertise (if you can call it that) is Long Island lighthouses...

I'd have to start with Plum Island. This light, decommissioned and abandoned in 1978, has been illegally neglected by the federal government, upon whose land it resides, under the excuse of the restrictions imposed by the existence of the USDA Animal Disease Research Center on the island. Erosion has been eating away at the shore in fron tof the light. Abiout two years ago, a generator house fell into the water.

The East End Seaport, led by Dr. Merlon Wiggin, is now working to get government cooperation for the restoration process. Dr. Wiggin and I spoke Wednesday about this project and have agreed to share information, co-write magazine and newspaper articles and establish media contacts for the project. I'll also be pushing the porject via my web site, e-mail list and any tours that I work on. Contractors are waiting for government approval to supply riprap (for free). Funds will be needed, as well as an effective PR campaign, to restore the light. So that's my LI vote.

Another LI project with which Bob Scroope and I are involved is the Cedar Island lighthouse. While we don't have all the research done yet, we'll need funds when we're ready to save this neglected light. This will be my vote in 2001 or 2002, I'd expect.

Morris Island is an obvious choice for the list. In fact, it's hard to imagine a better poster child for the endangered lighthouse than Morris Island.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20069 09/24/99 04:37 PM
D
Ddrule Offline
D
Morris Island, SC get my vote!!!! Very deserving and needy light. Amber

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20070 09/24/99 06:00 PM
LamarB Offline
St. John if you would please close this thread on Sunday 09/29/1999 I'll begin the tabulation. Thanks

Re: Let's Make a List -- Who Needs it Most? #20071 09/24/99 06:12 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
As requested.. Closed.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,669 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users