cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Henry--Just TRY and snap a pic of a military base gate! #200040 01/04/11 05:40 PM
P
Phillygirl Offline OP
OP Offline
P
This is a an article I just had published at Yahoo's Associated Content on Cape Henry and my visit there, with pics. Enjoy.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6166092/visit_the_cape_henry_lighthouses_in_pg2.html?cat=16

I'm not mad, I'm just from Philly! :)
Re: Cape Henry--Just TRY and snap a pic of a military base gate! [Re: Phillygirl] #200047 01/04/11 08:34 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I really liked your article! I wouldn't mess with those fellows though.

Laura
Re: Cape Henry--Just TRY and snap a pic of a military base gate! [Re: Phillygirl] #200053 01/05/11 09:26 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Your 'non-encounter' with the gate guards reminds me of an event I had while traveling a few weeks post-9/11 to Baltimore for the 2001 Reunion.

The local and national news were showing photos of the soldiers carrying weapons at the BMI airport and the screening equipment in use at the concourse entrances.

I had a brand new Nikon digital camera and, after passing through security, I turned and snapped a photo of the screening area.

I was immediate accosted by one of the guards and asked if I had taken a photo. I acknowledged that I had and they said they would have to confiscate my film.

I explained it was a digital camera (relatively new concept at that time) and they said they'd confiscate my camera.

After about 10 minutes I asked for a supervisor to be brought into the 'discussion.' I pointed out that there were no signs prohibiting photography and that pictures of this same kind of activities were on the national and local news programs and in the papers.

I educated him about $750 digital cameras and memory cards, etc. And I talked about my reason for coming to Baltimore, etc.

After about 30 minutes, we reached an agreement that I would delete the 2 images I had taken while the supervisor watched me do that. Then the supervisor himself scrolled through the images on the camera to make certain they were, in fact, deleted.

Re: Cape Henry--Just TRY and snap a pic of a military base gate! [Re: Phillygirl] #200057 01/05/11 11:43 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I remember when my mother and I first visited the Cape Henry's. Stopped at the gate by a lovely woman, she began to ask us the familiar questions,while another guard ran a screening devise under the car. The final question was "Are you carrying any weapons?" to which my mother replied:

"Nothin' but our teeth!"

The guard smiled and waved us through.

Melody
Re: Cape Henry--Just TRY and snap a pic of a military base gate! [Re: Phillygirl] #200063 01/05/11 11:25 PM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Now that's a great line!

Laura
Re: Cape Henry--Just TRY and snap a pic of a military base gate! [Re: MelJB] #200069 01/06/11 05:30 PM
P
Phillygirl Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: MelJB
I remember when my mother and I first visited the Cape Henry's. Stopped at the gate by a lovely woman, she began to ask us the familiar questions,while another guard ran a screening devise under the car. The final question was "Are you carrying any weapons?" to which my mother replied:

"Nothin' but our teeth!"

The guard smiled and waved us through.

Oh, yeah, I remember being asked that! Like a terrorist carrying weapons would say yes! (roll eyes)

I'm sure I gave them some flip answer, but don't recall what it was now. :)

I really only wanted a pic of the "Ft. Story" sign, but they said no. Sigh.

Last edited by Phillygirl; 01/06/11 05:33 PM.

Re: Cape Henry--Just TRY and snap a pic of a military base gate! [Re: Webmaster] #200070 01/06/11 05:35 PM
P
Phillygirl Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted By: Webmaster
Your 'non-encounter' with the gate guards reminds me of an event I had while traveling a few weeks post-9/11 to Baltimore for the 2001 Reunion.

The local and national news were showing photos of the soldiers carrying weapons at the BMI airport and the screening equipment in use at the concourse entrances.

I had a brand new Nikon digital camera and, after passing through security, I turned and snapped a photo of the screening area.

I was immediate accosted by one of the guards and asked if I had taken a photo. I acknowledged that I had and they said they would have to confiscate my film.

I explained it was a digital camera (relatively new concept at that time) and they said they'd confiscate my camera.

After about 10 minutes I asked for a supervisor to be brought into the 'discussion.' I pointed out that there were no signs prohibiting photography and that pictures of this same kind of activities were on the national and local news programs and in the papers.

I educated him about $750 digital cameras and memory cards, etc. And I talked about my reason for coming to Baltimore, etc.

After about 30 minutes, we reached an agreement that I would delete the 2 images I had taken while the supervisor watched me do that. Then the supervisor himself scrolled through the images on the camera to make certain they were, in fact, deleted.

Just another reason why I don't fly! I've heard similar stories to yours, back when digital cameras were a new concept. Some didn't turn out as well as yours! Some people, after deleting the pics, still had their memory chip taken.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,496 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users