Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Still Trying to Understand #199905 12/28/10 08:17 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm still trying to understand the post indicators and they make not sense to me after looking at them for a couple of weeks now.

In the old system if there was a new post since the last time you looked at the Forums there was a highlighted new post indicator. It was easy in that a new post was added, the post indicators were highlighted.

What's with the new system. On the left hand side of the Forum topics I show what appears to be a large tablet/book either in a dull yellow or a dull gray. Nothing seem to correspond to a new post. On the right side of the Forum Topics there seems to be a smaller version of the tablet/book in yellow or no tablet/book at all. You would figure if there was a new post the dull yellow tablet/book would be on the right side shown before the name of who posted since the last time you looked at the Forums. And in fact it does show up after a new post but then it doesn't ever seem to go away even after days. This means each time you look at the Forums you have to very carefully look at when someone posted(today, yesterday, sometime over the past few days, etc.) It is either me not understanding or just a way to iritate an old man.

Can someone please shed some light on how to see and understand when a NEW POST was made. This is one backslide from the old Forums and if it ain't broke don't try and fix it or improve it.

Last edited by flacoastie; 12/28/10 08:19 PM.

Rich
Re: Still Trying to Understand [Re: flacoastie] #199911 12/29/10 08:02 AM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Rich,
What I do is click on the Active Topics tab, then the Active Posts link. It automatically takes me to posts which have been made in the past seven days. It also gives me the option of checking out only the last 48 hours or 24 hours, if I want to check out what in the old system was "today's posts". Also, the main page tells you the date and time of the last post on each topic and who posted.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: Still Trying to Understand [Re: flacoastie] #199915 12/29/10 10:33 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Roland - I understand what you are saying and what I miss about the old Forums (and I guess you take the good with the bad) is the highlighted ICON that was present when a new post or reply was made since your last visit. I'm not interested in the posts from the last several days, 48 hours or even 24 hours because I've already read them since my last visit. I visit 3-4 times a day looking for new applicants and I miss the highlighted ICON telling me that there was a new post since my last visit 3-4 hours ago.

Last edited by flacoastie; 12/29/10 10:36 AM.

Rich
Re: Still Trying to Understand [Re: flacoastie] #199916 12/29/10 10:37 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
From the main page -- the one that lists all the Forums, you can tell which ones have posts you haven't yet viewed based on the red numbers in the column that lists the number of posts in each forum.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW EXAMPLE

Re: Still Trying to Understand [Re: flacoastie] #199920 12/29/10 01:54 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
John - Thank you very much. I went and viewed the ones with the red numbers and then refreshed and VOILA, the reds went away. Now I can quickly go through and see what I haven't looked at since my last visit. You always (well most of the time) have the answer.

Rich
Re: Still Trying to Understand [Re: flacoastie] #199921 12/29/10 02:19 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
For some who are returning after a while and don't want to look at every thread, there is a link at the bottom left of each page titled "Mark all read".

Click this one to reset all of the posts/threads in all the Forums as if you had read them.

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users