Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maybe the ultimate lighthousing camera? #198130 01/25/07 01:19 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Olympus SP-550UZ Talk about upping the ante a bit! Only thing wrong with it after a quick glance is that it uses xD cards which are (a) still usually more expensive (b) too blasted small - easy to lose on your desktop or if they are loose in a camera bag! They have also improved the wide angle down to a 28mm equivalent which is very nice, especially with the other end being what it is. Be interesting to see how it comes in price wise and when it will be available.

Re: Maybe the ultimate lighthousing camera? #198131 01/26/07 01:50 AM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Gee, hard to believe no comments on this one. Did have a note from an avid member and reader who just won't post... sent a few links about the camera:

Imaging Resource scroll down past the specs for some review.

DP Review

Re: Maybe the ultimate lighthousing camera? #198132 01/29/07 12:53 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Dave,

I am very excited by this camera. I am currently using an Olympus C730-UZ and it has never let me down in the three or four years I have been using it. I have been loking for a new camera and was looking at the 12X optical zoom Sony's, but I think I may have to wait for the new Olympus. I already have the xD cards and all the other Olympus goodies, so I think I will wait for a few more reviews and see what happens. This is propably going to be my next pride and joy.

I have thought about moving towards the DSLR cameras, but then I have the added expense of purchasing lenses as well as dealing with the problems of dust. Maybe that is not a problem anymore as I really don't know much about it other then the little I have read, but for the quality of the images my old Olympus provides, and the improvement I am sure I would see with the new SP-550UZ I am content to to stay with the "point and shoot" style digitals a while longer.

I have always considered myself a "minimalist" photographer.

-Todd

Re: Maybe the ultimate lighthousing camera? #198133 01/29/07 01:23 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A compact camera suits your style well, Todd. Of course, I'm thinking back to the days of the hike down the semi-frozen river for images of the Saginaw Range. Wouldn't want to be lugging around a big camera on that outing.......

My original decent digital camera was the Olympus C700UZ. Unfortunately, it died at 13 months, just after warranty and it was going to be 75% of the cost of a new camera to possibly fix the old. The new 740 and 750 were announced but not yet in the stores, and I was headed out on a lighthousing adventure so I ended up with my Panasonic, which has worked out to be a great camera.

I think the 18x zoom and the slightly wider close up end of the camera will be great additions. I have come to love the image stabilization, and the new Olympus has 2 varieties built in. I think it will be a great multi-purpose camera at a pretty decent price.

Re: Maybe the ultimate lighthousing camera? #198134 01/29/07 01:49 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Pretty impressive and one of your links estimated the 'street price' at $499. That would be a bargain.

At first I didn't note that it had a swing-swivel display, but from the photos it appears it does. That's one of my "must have" features.

Todd - I've avoided SLRs for two reasons: Generally bulkier and heavier and I know I could never afford all those lenses I'd want to own once I could put them on a body.

I went through that in the distant past with Olmpus, Minolta, Nikons and Hassleblads. KISS.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,042 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users