Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198107 11/22/07 03:05 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We are looking to buy a SLR digital Camera for our daughter Beth- with the finacial assisitance of everybody else who is planning on buying her a birthday (12-17) and Christmas present.

She is entertaining the idea of going back to college and getting a Master's degree in Photo journalism (can you say "Do you want fries with that? ") and wants to get a good camera.

I did some research on various places- including Steve's digicam site that i used when I was researching my purchase- and has ben mentioned here before as well.

I don't want to break the bank but want to get a multi-purpose camera that can be expanded with additional lenses.

The Olympus EVOLT E-510 looks like it fits those criteria. doe snybody have any experience with this particular camera- or even with Olympus a sa brand?

Good, bad or indifferent all opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198108 11/22/07 05:34 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Trooper Bob uses an Evolt I do believe.

In the interest of being an agitator, have you thought about some of the other brands? I haven't done any pricing lately, but Best Buy has a Canon Rebel XT in its Black Friday ad for $700 with kit lens and a 75-300 and an accessory kit/camera bag (or $550 for just the camera). I do believe you can also buy it online today and would have it next week - Best Buy online - choose the camera link.

Lots of really great deals on things like memory cards and flash drives this weekend. Lots of places with 2 gig cards and drives for $15 or so, have seen 4 gig ones for less than $30. Lots of places will let you buy online today and many give free shipping. Beats getting up and messing with the crowds for the 0500 store openings.

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198109 11/22/07 07:59 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:

In the interest of being an agitator, have you thought about some of the other brands? I haven't done any pricing lately, but Best Buy has a Canon Rebel XT in its Black Friday ad for $700 with kit lens and a 75-300 and an accessory kit/camera bag (or $550 for just the camera). I do believe you can also buy it online today and would have it next week - Best Buy online - choose the camera link.

Dave being an agitator- nah that's not possible.

Thanks for your input- Bestbuy has the E-510 with 2 additional lenses for about $700. the sites I went to to reaearch list it highly as well.

Dennis

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198110 11/22/07 08:34 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Dennis, I purchased the Evolt E-300 two years ago this coming January. I absolutely love it! It is an easy-to-use fantastic camera. My camera came with the 14-45mm telephoto which I belive is the equivalent to a 28-90mm. I later purchased the 40-150mm which is equivalent to an 80-300mm.

The thing that really sold me about this camera was how comfortable it felt in my hand. Plus it has a pop-up flash that can light up a whole room with no trouble. It can be programmed in several modes and also has a great selction of "scenes" that can also be programmed. I like this camera so much that if I lost or wrecked it, I would go right out and buy the same thing in a newer version. Need I say more?

smile Bob smile

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198111 11/22/07 09:18 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob,

Thanks for your input- it's appreciated.

I did a side-by-side review of the 510 and the Rebel XTi which are almost identical- except for the $400 difference in price.

Dennis

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198112 11/23/07 12:07 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Review of 510 just posted on DPReview site.

One of the reasons I mentioned the Canon is the greater availability of lenses. You have had an Olympus compact digital, as have I, so you know the product is good. Off setting the smaller selection of lenses, the image stabilization on the 510 would certainly be a major asset. I am sure your daughter will appreciate the camera and make good use of it.

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198113 11/23/07 02:02 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I've been taking everything said into consideration and been looking non-stop at various configurations of cameras and lenses and I'm now leaning towards the following camera (it includes one lens- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens)

Canon EOS-40D aprox $1399.

I was hoping to spend a bit less but after considering what been said here and elsewhere it would seem prudent to go with the most prosumer camera available that could be easily extended to a true professional camera. In thiis case a savings could actually cost money in the near future.

Any thoughts- is this a prudent way to go or is there a better choice for a high level consumer slr that could morh into a true professional setup- at least at the entry level of that ?

Dennis

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198114 11/23/07 05:05 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Dennis you're buying an affordable professional camera. This one has several features of the next higher models at a 1/2 to a 1/3 the price. If you're going to get the lens, you'll be much happier with a 2.8 instead of a 3.5/4.
If you want to buy a excellent used 15-85 3.5 USM IS let me know? (If you look at my postings, I've used that for the close ones and the telephotos for the longer ones.) I want to upgrade that one to a 2.8. (I need a faster, quicker lens for Julia) I have a 70-200 2.8 IS USM for the longer range which you need for boat & aerial shots.)
Canon has great affordable professional lenses, the reason I bought the 20d.

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198115 11/23/07 05:12 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Opps just read the initial post. I guess I would be more than thrilled to receive that gift!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198116 11/23/07 08:20 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
Hey Dennis you're buying an affordable professional camera. This one has several features of the next higher models at a 1/2 to a 1/3 the price. If you're going to get the lens, you'll be much happier with a 2.8 instead of a 3.5/4.
If you want to buy a excellent used 15-85 3.5 USM IS let me know? (If you look at my postings, I've used that for the close ones and the telephotos for the longer ones.) I want to upgrade that one to a 2.8. (I need a faster, quicker lens for Julia) I have a 70-200 2.8 IS USM for the longer range which you need for boat & aerial shots.)
Canon has great affordable professional lenses, the reason I bought the 20d.

Bob
Bob,

I'm definitely leaning towards buying the Canon EOS 40D from an online seller with good feedback called DigiCombos. they have a combo special with the following items-

Canon EOS 40D
4GB Memory Card
Canon 18mm-55mm Zoom Lens
Canon 28-105
Canon 75-300
High Resolution Wide Angle Lens
High resolution 3 pc Professional Filter Kit
Hi-Speed USB Card Reader/Writer
Heavy Duty Aluminum Hard Case w/Dividers
Compact Digital Camera Case
60" Photo / Video Tripod
5 Piece Cleaning Kit
TableTop Tripod

The total including shipping is about $1700. Based on what I've found the lenses and camera going for from reputable sellers it seems to be a good deal. It includes some other extras as well like tripods, flash, etc.

Dennis

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198117 11/26/07 01:47 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:

I'm definitely leaning towards buying the Canon EOS 40D from an online seller with good feedback called DigiCombos. they have a combo special with the following items-

Canon EOS 40D
4GB Memory Card
Canon 28-105
Canon 75-300
60" Photo / Video Tripod
5 Piece Cleaning Kit
TableTop Tripod

The total including shipping is about $1700. Based on what I've found the lenses and camera going for from reputable sellers it seems to be a good deal. It includes some other extras as well like tripods, flash, etc.

Dennis [/QB]
I doubt you'll be getting canon glass for that price. (canon compatible lens)The best reasonaonable price I've seen for a 40d body by itself is about $1125.
Sounds too good ! I'd ask for model numbers etc so you know exaxtly what your getting. I bought mine ala carte before the Mich Regional. I was looking at packages before I bought but found the lenses to be off brand.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198118 11/26/07 02:05 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
Quote:
Originally posted by wheland:

Canon EOS 40D
4GB Memory Card
Canon 28-105
Canon 75-300
60" Photo / Video Tripod
5 Piece Cleaning Kit
TableTop Tripod

Dennis
I doubt you'll be getting canon glass for that price. (canon compatible lens)The best reasonaonable price I've seen for a 40d body by itself is about $1125.
Sounds too good ! I'd ask for model numbers etc so you know exaxtly what your getting. I bought mine ala carte before the Mich Regional. I was looking at packages before I bought but found the lenses to be off brand.
Bob [/QB]
Bob,

I haven't called directly yet but the photos of the lenses show Canon product and they are listed as Canon lenses- not Canon compatible.

I've decided to discuss the purchase with my daughter before buying anything. I want her to go to a store and see how different cameras feel to her hands- starting with the Canon 40D and the Nikon 80 and possibly the Olympus Evolt E-510.

Anybody have thoughts as to which lenses are must haves to start with- especially with the Canon 40D. I'm still leaning towards that one after my research online at various sites- and the various responses from people here and elsewhere.

The best price I've found for just the Eos 40D body is $1060.

Any thoughts on the best table-top and full size tripods to purchase, quality hard case and soft cases, etc.

Dennis

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198119 11/26/07 03:07 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Be sure you are buying a camera with a US warranty, not a gray market version. If you don't have the US warranty and something goes wrong, she will be on the hook for repairs.

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198120 11/26/07 03:20 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave H:
Be sure you are buying a camera with a US warranty, not a gray market version. If you don't have the US warranty and something goes wrong, she will be on the hook for repairs.
Dave,

Give me a little credit- please. laugh

I've been doing this kind of buying things for years- I almost never buy anything that's not US full warrantry.

Got any answers for the questions I asked?
laugh

Dennis

Re: Olympus EVOLT E-510 #198121 11/26/07 08:05 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Dennis, I was quite sure you knew the difference between US and gray market. However, you also know that there are people reading this who do not know the difference and that the reason there may be a deep discount price is that there is no US warranty and the vendor may not be an authorized US dealer.

Sorry, I don't use Canon unless you want to buy some lenses that go with my good old AE1. . .

I like LowePro soft side bags and have several in different sizes. Look for one that does have a detachable shoulder strap - some don't.

Tripods, I believe, are something that your daughter should explore to find the set up she likes, with the variety of tops that can be used. I seldom use a tripod (too lazy to carry it around with me????) so I wouldn't pretend to be a guru there.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,324 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users