Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nikon D50 #198064 12/10/06 05:47 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I've decided I want to upgrade from my current Canon S1 IS "pro P&S" camera to a DSLR.

I'm looking at the Nikon D50, and I'm pretty much set on it. It's the most affordable DSLR right now, but it still seems to pack a punch. It looks like it still has enough features to last me a few years, even if it is a "consumer SLR." We have one at school for the yearbook, and I've thoroughly enjoyed using it...I think a larger than usual percentage of this year's candids are by me because I love taking it out to take shots.

I'm not putting it on my Christmas list for anyone to buy me, because at $600, it's still kind of expensive for any one person to give me. Instead, I'm asking for Amazon gift certificates from my family to cover at least a chunk of the cost. I figure that I'll add a bit of my own money in and try to get it on a clearance, since it has been "replaced" by the new D40 (which I do NOT like, since it seems to be too consumer...not a nice balance like the D50).

So...basically...I'm pretty much heart-set on my decision, but I'm wondering if there's anyone here that has a D50 and what they think of it. I've done a lot of research into it...searched for hours on Flickr for photos taken by them using the new "search by camera" tool...but I'm curious as to how the lighthouse community likes them. ALSO, what lenses would you recommend I get (affordable - I'm not really looking for $500 primes or anything) for lighthousing? Right now, I'm looking at starting out with just the kit lens (18-55), and continuing to use my Canon for anything long-zoom. Then I'll save up for a big zoom...but which one?

I'm excited about this camera...and I'm pretty set...I'm just curious about any input any forum members might have...

Re: Nikon D50 #198065 12/11/06 02:28 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am a Nikon person. I just sold my D70 and got the D80 and love it. The D70 was a great camera and you could buy it on ebay with CF cards and lens at a great price. I have read that the D50 is a really good camera. If you used it at school and liked it I say go for it. The lenses are going to be an expense because they are Nikon. I have the 18-70 from the original D70 kit and I get great pictures. I just ordered the 70-300 VR lens and or course I am waiting 2 1/2 months for it. I also bought the wirless remote. Its great when you have the camera on a tripod and want to get in the picture you set it for multi pictures and just keep pressing the remote. I also bought the vertical grip. Good luck in what ever you do.

Re: Nikon D50 #198066 12/11/06 07:41 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I say that you can't go wrong with a Nikon as well!
I also have the D80 and still have yet to play with all the extra settings but the basic ones work GREAT!
I LOVE this camera!!!Mine came with an 18-135mm zoom lens. It has decent reach but there are times I wish I had just a bit more. I can always add a bigger zoom in the future...that was what I planned when I bought it.
I figure it is a great all around camera and I probably won't need to buy another for quite some time. If budget is an issue...the D50 would be a good choice. Nikon seems to hold their value.

Cameras, to me, are like computers...try to buy the most advanced that you can afford...because it won't be long before it is outdated and you want more. If having the ability to upgrade lenses...then buy a body that can handle the different types of lenses available. Not all bodies are the same! That is a piece of invaluable research I've learned!
Good Luck Greg! Let me know how you make out!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Nikon D50 #198067 12/12/06 01:55 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just spoke to someone at Ritz Camera because I ordered the lens from them. He is a professional Photograper. We had a long conversation about Nikon. He told me many items are on back order because of demand. Canon is a larger company and can keep up with demand. There product is also less expensive but they have great cameras also. This is the 2nd time I have had to wait months for a new item. I am not happy about that. Talk to Jenifer about Canon see loves it. Tammy also. Its a big investment take your time and when you get it no matter what you get you know you will be happy with it. Check out both companies.

Re: Nikon D50 #198068 12/13/06 04:17 PM
Lighthouse Joe Offline
I too like Nikon. The D50 is a good choice for the budget you are on. I would suggest checking a local camera shop first (not Ritz, Wolf, or TCI). I have found having a working relationship with a shop helps when things need fixin'. Amazon won't be of much help there.

But if you are set on an internet purchase, look at B&H Photo. There prices are usually very good. If you call them, you might be able to get even lower.

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Nikon D50 #198069 12/13/06 06:49 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I bought my camera's from B & H they are a good place to buy for satisfaction. At the time the deal included a 1 gb card and it made it the best price out there. I went with ritz for this lens because the shipping is free and so far makes it the best price. When I go in there they always help me out.

Re: Nikon D50 #198070 12/13/06 07:53 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well, I don't know if I can back out from Amazon by now - I've already told everyone that that was what I wanted to do to pay for it, and all my relatives are talking about having finished their Christmas shopping already. So I don't know if I can "back out" now. I guess if I was smart, I would have asked for AmEx gift cards instead. :rolleyes:

I guess I can't worry about it now. As my dad always says, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm the first to admit being Amazon-dependent. laugh

I can always develop a relationship for accessories, etc. I have dealt with B&H before online to get Pelican cases (LOVE those things...they're addicting, just ask my Rover buddies who have 30) and it was prompt and great price. Though they do have some stocking issues with product occasionally, which may be a Nikon problem, not a B&H problem.

Which leads to "as Fran said"...I thought about the Canon...but I held one the other day at Staples, and it just didn't feel as "right" to me as the Nikon does. Maybe it's because my only SLR experiences have been with Nikons at school, but the things like the lenses turning in the opposite direction seemed off to me. I mean, I could get the DReb XT for about the same price as the D50...and get 2 more MPs. But from everything I've heard, it's really a "what do you feel right with" thing...and I guess that I've been Nikonised. I can wait 6 months for a lens. laugh

Oh no. I hope I don't become one of the snobby Nikon people. You know. 99.9% of the Nikonians I know aren't, but there is that touch of stigma that the brand seems to carry...

Re: Nikon D50 #198071 12/14/06 11:13 AM
Lighthouse Joe Offline
Actually, its Nikon that reversed its lens mounting rotation. My old Minolta & Pentax gear is all opposite of Nikon. You have been Nikon-ized. It is the ergonomics of how Nikons feel in your hand that sells many cameras. Canon would be a great choice too.

Now worries about Amazon. Just get it and have fun.

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Nikon D50 #198072 12/14/06 07:33 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Joe,

If I might ask...what kind of camera and lens did you use to take some of the pics on your website?
They turned out really AWESOME!!!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Nikon D50 #198073 12/14/06 09:30 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You still can get great buys on amazon. Just got 2 2gb Ultra III SD cards at the cheapest price around and I looked everywhere. It is absolutly a Nikon problem with back orders but if your patient like I have had to be you are going to be happy. We are just telling you all of our experiences. You will be happy with that camera. laugh

Re: Nikon D50 #198074 12/15/06 04:06 PM
Lighthouse Joe Offline
Thanks.

If the shots are from 2003 or before, they are a from a Nikon D100 with either a Nikon 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 AFD or Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD.

The images taken in 2004 or later are from a Nikon D2H with the same lenses and a few from a Sigma f/2.8 120-300 and Nikkor f/8 500mm Reflex.

Hopefully I can get out more next year to update some of those lighthouses.

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Nikon D50 #198075 12/31/06 03:33 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and order today. Beach Camera has the best price, as well as being where I got my previous camera, so I think I'm going to order from there. Going to get the kit with the 18-55 lens to start - heard it's still a pretty good one. Since they're in NJ, I'm avoiding the sales tax by having it shipped to my mom's office in NYC. Also getting a Sandisk Extreme III 1GB SD card (with a rebate, they're cheaper than the Ultra IIs right now) to start out.

I'm pretty excited! Hopefully, it'll come some time next week...even if I do the 7-9 day FedEx shipping (ie "free"), it seems from the FedEx site that it'll only take a day. So it might even be there when I get home! laugh

I'm really excited...can't wait until it comes and I can get started!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 792 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users