Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Storing Pictures #198052 05/24/06 12:57 PM
fra02441 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I was hoping all you guys can help. With so many pictures from my digital camera how is the best way to store them. I have put the RAW on DVD and after saving for JPG and Fixing I put them on CD(faster to load). Should I get some kind of external hard drive. I just got back from Door County and filled 4 gigs with pictures. It is taking some time to put on DVD & CD. I have to remove some from files on my computer, running out of room with all those files. When I need to find a certain picture it takes a while to find on my CDs I do mark them with names but having so many and adding more and more. Help!!!!

Re: Storing Pictures #198053 05/24/06 04:40 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
You can get a USB external hard drive very reasonably if you watch the sales. There seem to be two physical sizes - a smaller footprint that would be pretty easy to carry with you (runs about $100 for 40-60 gigs at Sams Club) or a larger footprint that will hold 100 gig and up. I have one that is a 160 gig version that cost me $80 after sale price and rebates on Black Friday. Watch the big box electronic and computer stores and they seem to pop up on sale on a regular basis. I have seen them in the 200-300 gig range.

You do want to be sure your computer is running USB2 / fast USB. Some may also use firewire.

If your moving to CD ?DVD is that slow, perhaps an investment in a new, faster writing drive would be an option. Internal ones are pretty cheap (wll <$100) and external ones seem to be around $100 for DVD+/- RW.

Re: Storing Pictures #198054 05/24/06 04:41 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Just bought 500gb Western Digital external hard drive from buy.com for $250.
web page It's was on sale.
Pretty nifty black box.
It's replacing and backing up my 160gb 2 1/2 year old external.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Storing Pictures #198055 05/24/06 04:53 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I back them all up on CDs, because that's all I've got, and I don't need to store the photos at all times.

A few months ago, I got a Maxtor Onetouch II 200GB external drive. Didn't work out of the box, and I wasn't able to return it. Apparently, others have this problem, so DON'T buy a Maxtor. Wouldn't keep my files on the HD.

I am obsessive about my backups. Each photo will find itself on several CD backups - a disc for every trip, a disc of backup before erasing a CF card, and a My Pictures backup every now and then. It's a lot of CDs, but it helps me feel better that I won't lose photos. I also want to make a couple DVDs if I can with backups of ALL my photos, and put it in the fireproof safe.

I still want to get another HD to put the photos on, as well as all my music (I have 5GB worth right now, and I don't need it on my computer all the time - that's why I got an iPod) and any other large downloads. I'd like to cut it down to having just programmes, basic Office documents, and maybe a "favourites" photo selection on my computer at all times.

It seems like Seagates and Western Digitals are good HDs. After I figure out what to do with the one I have now, I'll probably get one of those.

Re: Storing Pictures #198056 05/25/06 11:55 AM
fra02441 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I was looking into the Western Digital. Is it easy to use. Thanks for all the help. I also make backups of all my disks. My husband thinks I am crazy. We fight over the computer. I am spending all my free time since I got back from Door County checking out my pictures. Then sending to Costco to develope the ones I want. I am going blind looking at the computer. Its what I love. I have many CD and DVDs.

Re: Storing Pictures #198057 05/25/06 03:02 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
The key is always having multiple backups. Different media is also a key. But remember dvds and cds also have limits too.
I'm in the process of digitizing 12 years of sound super 8 film. My first 2 hours from the vendor are outstanding (1975-1986). I will then be putting it on the disk drive for easy access but will have dvds, minidv tape, and the original film as my masters.
I have the same set up with my digital photos. CDs and disk drive for access.

LONG ISLAND BOB

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users