Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help for sunny days? #198030 05/21/07 11:45 AM
5lights Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I tried out my digital camera this weekend in Door County. It took beautiful pictures, but I had major problems not being able to see the image on my screen!
No matter what I tried I could not see the image that I was trying to shoot.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Debbie
Re: Help for sunny days? #198031 05/21/07 01:32 PM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My camera has both a viewfinder and a screen. I've got one that does both at the same time, and one that I switch back and forth manually.

I find that I do much better with the viewfinder when it is light or sunny outside. I only use the screeen indoors, or if I don't want people to know I'm taking pictures.

Then if I'm not sure I've gotten the image I want, I go someplace in the shade (bathrooms work well for this), and review while I can still go back and reshoot.

As an additional reason to use the viewfinder - it takes less battery power.

Re: Help for sunny days? #198032 05/21/07 02:01 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's a thread we had a few years back on one solution:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000888#000000

There are folding sunscreens available for most any size viewing screen. Check with larger photography equipment retailers in your area. They probably have a selection.

Re: Help for sunny days? #198033 05/22/07 04:20 PM
5lights Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the suggestions Rosalie and John!
tried the viewfinder, but with my glasses doesn't work too well, but I will try the taking it into the shade.
Will definitely check out the other options further.
Thanks for your help!

Debbie
Re: Help for sunny days? #198034 05/22/07 05:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I mentioned the other kind of shade screens - they flip open and shade the screen from top and sides. As opposed to the eyepiece one.

The problem with the shade kind is that depending on what you are wearing and the angle of the sun, the screen may be washed out due to reflections from your clothing on the screen.

So if you visit a camera store, ask if you can try one out and step outside and get real-world experience.

Re: Help for sunny days? #198035 05/22/07 10:06 PM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by 5lights:
Thanks for the suggestions Rosalie and John!
tried the viewfinder, but with my glasses doesn't work too well, but I will try the taking it into the shade.
Will definitely check out the other options further.
Thanks for your help!
If the viewfinder doesn't work with your glasses, how do you take pictures with a regular camera?

I wear glasses and have for the last 20+ years (bifocals) and do not have a problem with the viewfinder. Sometimes when I'm using binoculars, I will put my glasses up on my head, but I don't do that with a camera.

Re: Help for sunny days? #198036 05/22/07 10:24 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
View finder on many compact (non DSLR) digital cameras are what are called EVF - Electronic View Finder. They essentially are showing the same image that might also be projected onto the rear LCD screen. (You choose where the image projects - the EVF or the LCD). For this reason, most cameras with an EVF have the ability to change the focus power to work with your personal vision. Film cameras do not project an image, they simply allow you to look out thru the lens. Some digital cameras have a view finder that is nothing more than a hole thru the camera to let you ballpark what the lens sees.

Debbie, don't remember which camera you have, but is there a thumbwheel or dial next to the view finder that adjusts the focus in the view finder? (Presuming you have a camera with an EVF.)

Re: Help for sunny days? #198037 05/23/07 11:57 AM
5lights Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I never had a problem with the viewfinder on my regular 35mm.
I have not used my digital all that much and am still learning. I tried the viewfinder twice and found that it was blurry and with my bifocals it was worse. So didn't mess with it anymore. Around the house, I'd just use the screen.
Took the boys camping this weekend at Sturgeon Bay. We went to Potowatomi State Park. I just automatically used the screen to try and take pictures. I forgot all about the button for the viewfinder! shocked I was also stressed out by this point...3 boys running willy nilly on the beach, a husband and daughter who were supposed to be "helping"(but tended to forget) and lighthouses so close but not really enough time and choruses of "I'm hungry, I'm hot, and can we go back and see Yogi Bear?" anger
By the way...next time my husband suggests how much fun it would be to take all 3 boys camping...he's going to get seriously hurt! biglaugh
My camera is a Kodak Easy Share Z612, Dave. It does have a little wheel. I'm assuming it has something to do with power and focus? I guess I'll have to find time to figure out what it does.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
As a final note...I did make it to Sherwood Point on the way back to the campground! Didn't see anyone with WACKO badges however. frown

Debbie
Re: Help for sunny days? #198038 05/23/07 04:23 PM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I suggest trying outside the house with the viewfinder. The practice won't cost anything wink

I tend to squint in the viewfinder (I realize) and I really only use it to point the camera in the right direction and center on the thing I'm taking a picture of. I check to see if it is focused and then take the photo. I do any extra editing after I get the photo onto the computer.

Sometimes I do find that I haven't seen clearly enough to see a problem.

When I'm using the screen, I'm pickier and also not in as much of a rush as I tend to be when I'm outdoors. I take a LOT of pictures so that I nearly always have some that I think edit out nicely.

I also have a Kodak EasyShare but it is a DX6490. I don't know what difference the model number makes.

As for the camping - my daughter took her son (our grandson) camping at Bahia Honda for his 13th birthday this past weekend and she said she wasn't going to do it again - it was too much work. She had three boys in addition to her son and her daughter (age 6). She said the problem was that they just dropped things (like food or cans of soda) wherever they were and didn't put it in the trash or put things away.

My husband always did most of the work when we went camping - that's because he does most of the work everywhere. I don't know how to suggest that you get your husband to take a share of the load. I think it is just that I'm lazy and he's not.

:rolleyes:

Here are two pictures I took from the ferry leaving Cruz Bay USVI in December 2006 which I'm just getting around to editing.

Re: Help for sunny days? #198039 05/24/07 03:43 PM
5lights Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Nice pictures, Rosalie!
It's not that he didn't help...he just tended to get interested in something else and sort of forgot the kids, or probably thought that my daughter and I had it under control. nono (he's getting older you know-not that he admits to it!)

Debbie
Re: Help for sunny days? #198040 05/24/07 08:14 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
On my camera on the side of the veiw finder is a small wheel. You look through it and adjust the wheel till it is clear enough for you. If you are looking at the screen outside and have problems on B & H photo you can buy a product that clips on to they screen and it opens to give you a view. it has 3 sides when open It is made by delkin. I bought it and cant use it on my camera because I use the veiwfinder and found it a pain to constantly open it to see the picture Here is a link http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/4968/LCD_Accessories_LCD_Hoods_Shades.html

Re: Help for sunny days? #198041 05/25/07 11:13 AM
5lights Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Fran! Affordable pricing too. Will also protect my screen...I think I'll give it a try. smile

Debbie
Re: Help for sunny days? #198042 05/26/07 12:43 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Any time

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users