Next Thread
Print Thread
CAPTURING A NIGHT SHOT #197991 04/13/09 03:12 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Who can help out, by putting it very simply
what settings are the best for this shot?

I'm attempting to capture the St. Augustine light at night with the beam in motion!

sidenote, the tower is aluminated by ground lights!

Rusty
check out all my lighthouse photo's here;
http://travel.webshots.com/album/487578687vrLTkI
Re: CAPTURING A NIGHT SHOT #197992 04/13/09 04:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Rusty - I'm assuming you are using a digital camera.

Use a tripod

Set the function to T (Shutter Priority)

Set the shutter to the longest time possible - maybe it goes to 30 seconds, maybe more, or less

If you can control the exposure (perhaps through a menu), set the exposure to -2 stops (otherwise the camera will try to make the photo look like it was daytime.) If your menu has an option to bracket the photos, trying using that feature to give you 3 options on each press of the shutter.

Hold a black card over the lens, press the shutter release, immediately remove the black card. (Avoids vibration of the camera from pushing the shutter release.)

Depending on the longest time possible on your shutter, you may not get a full rotation of the lens.

Best kind of night to shoot is one that's a bit misty; on those crystal clear nights, the beam may not be as visible.

Experiment with the menu-forced exposure setting maybe using more or less underexposure.

With the tower illuminated, you may want to try just zooming in the the lantern room itself, shoot with a medium telephoto setting from across the street and closer to the shoreline. But don't zoom in so close that the rays of the beam don't appear.

Thank goodness for digital images, you can see the results, reset and reshoot until you get it just right!

This is a tough shot, especially if the beam from the beacon shines directly into the lens - as opposed to shooting up at the lantern room from below and trying to catch the rays without seeing the bulb.

Share your photos!

Re: CAPTURING A NIGHT SHOT #197993 04/13/09 05:40 PM
rustyjax Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
yes, all that does make sense to me! thanks for your input! I will give it a go! And yes! will post anything to be proud of!

Rusty
check out all my lighthouse photo's here;
http://travel.webshots.com/album/487578687vrLTkI
Re: CAPTURING A NIGHT SHOT #197994 04/14/09 12:44 AM
WVsister Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Posting those you feel are errors may help others avoid the same mistakes. We will then benifit by your experiments. I have a nice camera, but nothing like the ones most of you seem to have. Watching your successes would be nice.

Nancy

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 811 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users