Print Thread
Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197830 05/26/06 07:03 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Member # 1810

Not to take any answers away from Frans question, but I've only been into this computer thing for about 1 - 1 1/2 years. I have nothing backed up and that includes all my NELL records and files. No backup for my pixs either. By reading all this I'm thinking I'm making a BIG mistake. Can you add and delete files etc from the external hard drives? Should I just make another copy of everything on my computer onto the external hard drive? Would you suggest that over CD's and DVD's as I heard they start to "break down" after 4-5 years. Might sound like a dumb question but I am computer dumb. Any help and or suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED AND WELCOME! Thanks! eek frown confused

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197831 05/26/06 07:19 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
YES. BACK EVERYTHING UP.

Get an HD, as well as CDs. The CDs work fine for those 3-4 years - and every couple years, just take the time to re-burn them and start over.

As I (think I) said in the other thread, BACK THINGS UP AS MANY TIMES AND WAYS AS POSSIBLE. It'll pay off in case one of the mediums fails.

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197832 05/26/06 07:26 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
An extrenal hard drive functions just like the hard drive already in your computer. It just sits outside the box. If you plan to use it only once a week or so to back up, probably best to leave it unplugged from both the computer and the power supply.

Most people are bad about backups. However, it is something that if ever needed will have been the best investment of time you have made. You can do both. I try to back up files to a CD at least once a week (CD-Rs are incredibly inexpensive anymore), but I will also periodically do a complete backup of my data. I don't bother to back up programs - figure if things crash I'm going to have to reinstall anyways, and I have the original install disks filed away.

Especially in digital photography, you want to have a copy. No negatives to work with - if the original is all you have and it takes a hit you are SOL. More is better as far as photo file backups go.

For short term use, I have a 1 gig USB drive (also called thumb drives or memory sticks). All my critical files - like the list of everyone's ELL numbers and order info - get copied onto this drive on a real regular basis. New one just overwrites the old one, but very easy to do. Takes just a moment to pick up the unit, plug it into the USB port, open Windows Explorer and copy the appropriate files or sub-directory. I still try to back up all the files at least once a week, but this helps to keep the most critical files backed up.

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197833 05/27/06 06:20 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks guys. I guess I'll be busy for sometime now. Better that than losing info etc.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197834 05/27/06 08:01 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
All questions on computers are a great help. I am busy backing up my Digital pics. Thing of getting a external hard drive.

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197835 05/27/06 08:28 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I just backed up one of my files for NELL (to me the most important one) and was I surprised. It was really pretty simple and didn't take to long either. I am very surprised as to the amount of info you can get on 1 cd. Tried putting all my picts on 1 cd but it said no way - not enough room. I also picked up some DVD's so I'm going to try that next. I think I've been "afraid" of this damn machine for some stupid reason, probably ignorance about it and how it works. My daughter always told me, "Dad you can't hurt it or mess anything up." Well, that was when I was really learning and it was on her computer and don't you know good ole Tom messed something up and man was she ticked. She very ladylike suggested a beginners class which I did take but that was just the basics. Oh yes, I did get my own computer. Now, maybe hopefully, thanks to you guys and the rest of the folks that gave encouragement and advice all that will change.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197836 05/27/06 08:32 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Thinking of getting a external hard drive.
Fran, I was in Best Buy earlier today and they had a Western Digital 160 GB in a black box for $129. I didn't think that was to badly priced for not knowing much about them. Didn't get it though.
smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197837 05/27/06 08:37 PM
beachcomber Offline
We learn something new all the time, Tom. Just remember that there are tons of folks who are afraid to ask because they feel dumb, so they never learn anything new. The smart ones don't care if they sound dumb; they ask because they want to continue learning. Just think of all the great new electronics tools we have nowadays; life is a lot easier because of them and durned more fun! Plus you want to look smart for the grandkids!! wink

beachcomber
Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197838 05/28/06 06:27 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hear Hear Grace! I wish more people would ask!

I just had a quick look at Amazon ... they have some nice deals for external hard drives...

Amazon search for external HD

Oh and one tip ...

If you keep all your email addresses in your email program, make sure you back that up too!!!

It has been my downfall a couple of times: Computer crashed ... all was lost
... everything is backed up cool
... except the email addresses ... :rolleyes: confused

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197839 05/28/06 03:18 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Margret.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197840 05/30/06 03:32 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am looking into the Western Digital but bigger and better. My new bank pays for computer upgrades and stuff so I am going to wait a little. I also just got the new Apacer. I started using RAW and it did not work on the old Apacer. It does on the new one and burns DVD. I take it on vacation and every night I burn my pictutres. I then clear the memory cards. It is a great TOY. I paid $250. on Ebay New. It is easier than bringing a lap top. It was a birthday present. laugh

Re: Questions re backing up pictures/files etc #197841 05/31/06 08:54 PM
regalhobo Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
[QUOTE] I am looking into the Western Digital but bigger and better. [QUOTE]
Fran the ones Best Buy had all seemed to be 50 or more gigs bigger than the other ones as you went upon price.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,340 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users