Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Canon Memory Card Error? #197793 12/28/06 04:53 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
So I'm taking pictures of the Wash Woods LSS the other day here on the OBX when my Canon S1 IS starts beeping. A message comes up on the screen, "Memory Card Error." Oh crap.

I've heard about this error from people - it's apparently common on Canons. I've probably been lucky that it's taken until now, especially because I'm going to about 85% replace it with the D50 soon. But I still want to hang on to this camera for its Image Stabiliser (a boon for far-off lighthouses) and its nice compact package.

Is it an error with the card, or the camera? I don't think I can send the camera for replacement at this time, and if it was at that point, I'd just keep it for sentimental value and go completely to the D50. But still...I'd like to hang on to it for a while still.

Could I have worn out the card after 10,000+ shots? It's a Kingston 512MB, not totally top-end, but it's served me very well over the past 2.5 years.

Maybe the camera knows it's getting a new friend...but I still need it the rest of this trip and as my second camera, so now is not a good time for it to break!

Help!

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197794 12/28/06 08:10 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like your card may have a problem. Do you know anyone with a card you can borrow to test to see if it is actually the card and not the camera?

Good luck, and here's hoping it's the card and not the camera. Crads are much cheaper.

cool Bob cool

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197795 12/28/06 08:16 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
First issue would be why only one card? If you follow Jen's very logical advice, you will use multiple cards - lose one or it takes a hit you don't lose the entire shoot/trip.

If you have been using the same card over and over, have you ever formatted it in the camera (other than when it was brand new)? Have you tried to read the card with a stand alone card reader (best $15 you can spend at Sam's Club)? Can you view the existing images on the card?

Cards are dirt cheap. Buy a new one and try it in the camera to see if it works. That would be a good indicator as to whether the card or camera was the culprit. Even though you will be using a different card type in the D50, it is worth the $15 a card should cost you to determine where the error is. Of course, you could also borrow a card if someone else uses the same style, but be sure any images on it are copied to a computer and backed up before you try it in your camera.

If the card is the culprit you may be able to salvage the images on it if you have recovery software. If you are willing to lose the existing images, have you tried to use the camera tp format the card?

There are other potential reasons why you might be having an error. I know of at least one person who had a bent pin in the camera causing issues.

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197796 12/28/06 09:39 PM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dave is right, go buy another card, wait until you can try a recovery program before you reformat the card and lose your pictures.

In the past 3 weeks I have bought 3 Compact flash cards, I bought a 2gb Sandisk ultra II for $50.00 on sale, then last Saturday I bought 2 Sandisk 1 gb cards for $20.00 each for a Mp3 player thing-a-ma-bob that attaches to the Nintendo DS lite (for the kids)
Point is.... Memory is cheap (at Staples, if you have one near by)

I have a Lexar recovery program that has recovered pictures from a Viking brand card.

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197797 12/29/06 02:49 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Okay...I think I might have had to elaborate a touch more...

I CAN still use my camera. The problem is, the error shows up after about 40-50 pictures. If I format the card, it fixes it.

I'm thinking - with absolutely zippo knowledge of memory cards - that maybe the card records photos in sequential regions of the card. If there's a problem with the region that it reaches at around 50 shots, that might be keeping me from taking more.

I think I'll just pick up a new card. For now, since I'm on the OBX, I can't get to anyplace with a good brand...but at home, I'll swing by Staples, or even add a CF card to my D50 order. As I said, I want to hang on to this camera, so I'm okay with putting that investment into it.

Really, when I think about it, I probably just wore the card out. I mean, I've had it for 2.5 years, used it exclusively for over 10,000 shots. That's pretty darn good.

I'll deal with the 40 picture cap down here - I can live with uploading to the computer each time I get home. It's not turning out to be a super photo-heavy trip, anyway - I'd rather not re-visit all the photo sites, opting instead to wait until April when I can shoot them with the D50. So it's mostly sunsets and beach shots this week.

New question...what brand of memory card do you use? I've been looking at a Sandisk Ultra II for the D50. If there's good reviews, I'll get one for each camera.

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197798 12/29/06 11:41 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:
... I'll get one for each camera.
Greg, you missed a very important point. One is not enough. What are you going to do when you are out shooting, get carried away and fill your one and only card? You going to go thru the little images one by one and try to decide which to dump so you can fit another onto the card? You are willing to send hundreds of dollars on a new camera, how about spending an extra 50 bucks and buying several cards that can be rotated and be backups "just in case"??? Any time I get too far away from my camera bag I always try to remember to put an extra card into my pocket. You never know....

Most of the cards I have are SanDisk and they have been no problem. I have used SM, CF and Sd versions. Only card I have ever had that crapped out was a Simpletech so I just avoid that brand. Think I also have one or two Lexar brand.

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197799 12/29/06 07:03 PM
Mark Wagner Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sandisk Ultra II are quality cards, they are faster than the regular SanDisk cards, the Sandisk Extreme III are their fastest card. The Ultra II will serve you just fine.
The only card that has failed me is the above mentioned "viking" brand card.... which I don't use anymore

And Greg, The D40, D50 and the D80 all take the SD or SDHD flash memory (check camera specs for each camera on the SDHD) not the Compact Flash memory.

Mark

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197800 12/30/06 11:08 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I bought Sandisk Ultra III for 77.89 at 17th street photo and at the time it was the cheapest I have seen and that was for a SD card.

Re: Canon Memory Card Error? #197801 12/30/06 03:33 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I knew about the SD cards...wow, I really have to start getting more e-articulate. :rolleyes: My Canon takes CF, so I'd get an SD and a CF (for the amount that I'm planning to use the Canon in the next few months, I can definitely suffice with one card there.)

I'm going to start off with one card for cost purposes, since it's already an expensive camera for me to be buying. But, my birthday is coming around on 28 January, and I've already got two things on my list - an extra card or two, and a Nikon 70-300 lens for lighthousing.

I think I'm definitely going to go with Sandisk - either the Ultra II or the Extreme III that actually seems to be cheaper right now with a $15 rebate (through tomorrow). If I get the Extreme, than I'll always have at least the one super-high-speed card for when I need that.

I'm not doing that much shooting in January between exams and all, so for a month, I'm not too worried about that factor. But in February, I plan to get out more, so it'll be helpful to have some extra cards.

As for the Canon issue, the original - I've been coping with it, especially since I have really only been doing sunset shots. Take 40 shots, come in, download, erase, get the space back. But I think it's definitely something with the card that's totally worn out. Hey, it's served me well for 2.5 years, and it couldn't have chosen a better time to start crapping out.

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,315 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users