Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Verne's novel newly translated and published #197748 09/22/07 08:08 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Jules Verne's novel, The Lighthouse at the End of the World" [Le phare au bout de monde]has been translated into English for the first time and has recently become available through the University of Nebraska's "Bison Books." http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/bookinfo/316.html

This is the novel that served as the foundation for the extremely dark film starring Kirk Douglas and Yul Brenner, called, I believe, "The Light at the Edge of the World."

Just in case anyone is interested.

Danny

Re: Verne's novel newly translated and published #197749 09/22/07 10:52 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds interesting. Thanks for letting everyone know.

Re: Verne's novel newly translated and published #197750 09/23/07 01:13 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If some one reads it, can they post a review please?

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Verne's novel newly translated and published #197751 09/24/07 01:49 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I found the DVD on Amazon.com but wondered about whether I would like it or not. What makes me hesitate is the "extremely dark film" description by Danny. Does that mean it probably doesn't have a feel good ending!?
Judy

Re: Verne's novel newly translated and published #197752 09/24/07 08:02 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Judy, the novel came late in Verne's life, when he was extremely ill and disillusioned. Kirk Douglas is the one who chose the story and produced the film, and he made it a really compelling account about a lighthouse keeper's single-handed ordeal against savage pirates [headed by Yul Brenner]. Even for its time, it was a pretty grim but well-done movie, but I don't think that I could ever call the ending "feel-good." Definitely not a "Thomas Kinkaid" sensibility. While it's riveting, I don't think that you'll comfortably down a box of Milk Duds while watching it. I don't quite know how to recommend it.... I hate to fall back on being sexist, but it does strike me a more of a man's movie. Even at that, Douglas does not give us a character that is the early equivalent of Bruce Willis or Arnold Schwarzenegger. There are no light-hearted moments. Douglas is fighting for his life all the way, and there are no attempts at charm or humor. It is ruthlessly realistic.

Danny

Re: Verne's novel newly translated and published #197753 09/24/07 09:47 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
This isn't the first English translation because I read the book earlier this year (in English). The book I read was from the library and it was quite old.

The story does involve two lightkeepers but doesn't have much to do with lighthouses except that is the reason the two lightkeepers were on this isolated island. It is a fairly simple adventure story involving pirates and the lightkeepers efforts to avoid them. It was interesting but not compelling.

Larry

Re: Verne's novel newly translated and published #197754 09/25/07 08:17 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I ought to have clarified that it is the first English translation made from Jules Verne's original manuscript. After his death, his son, Michel, edited and arranged for publication a number of his late manuscripts, and there has ongoing speculation about how much of the originally published French edition "Lighthouse..." was Jules' and how much was Michel's. You would have read a translation from the French edition edited by Michel. I have the French edition, but I haven't had the time to compare it to the new translation for differences and...frankly...my French isn't good enough to be that expert!

Danny

Re: Verne's novel newly translated and published #197755 09/25/07 09:33 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Danny, for the description of the movie. I like action movies but I like a good story to go with them. The last action movie I saw was 3:10 to Yuma and I thought that was full of great action. Not sure about the ending but it probably was the best one for the story!
Judy

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 768 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users