Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Best books for pre-cruise study #197606 08/05/10 02:00 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I am starting to research the lighthouses we will see. I have "Guiding Lights" a British Columbia lighthouse book and its pretty good. Excellent pictures and covers most of the lights with the emphasis on actual visits and meeting with the keepers. I would like more history information but thats just me. Any recommendations for books on lighthouses in:
Alaska - British Columbia or Washington?

I have already found that there is not nearly as much information on BC lights on the internet. Lighthouse Friends has pictures and maps, but the pages are not completed yet. The most information I have found is on the LH Directory. Anyone found anything more informative?

Laura
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197607 08/05/10 03:22 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The Shanklins have a book on the Lighthouses of Alaska. I think their website is www.thelighthousepeople.com. The ISBN is 0-9677544-3-7.

There is also the Umbrella Guide to Lighthouses in Washington. You can probably find this on Amazon.com.

Judy

Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197608 08/05/10 04:30 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks, Judy. I got the Shanklins book a little bit ago, lots of pictures, not alot of information. Strange thing was the pricing on Amazon: anywhere from $20 (for a 41 page book)to $359?!? Currently the highest price is $160. Obviously I got the $20 book...sticker on the back is for $1.99. I think I should have gone to their site. frown

Laura
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197609 08/05/10 04:50 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have the Shanklins' book, thanks to a friend (non-lighthouse) who went to Alaska last year. It's got some good photos, which is tough to find for that region. But as said, text is a bit lacking.

It seems like the Pacific Coast has a lack of books on lighthouses compared to the others.

I'd also recommend, if you haven't seen it, the Legendary Lighthouses segment on Alaska (and really, the entire series). The series as a whole is really great...makes the lights human and has a lovely time-capsule thing of the lighthouse world ca. 1998-2002. I cannot pop the tape(!) into my VCR(!!) without simultaneously getting on my laptop to plan a trip to the lights I'm seeing.

Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197610 08/05/10 05:29 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just ordered the Shanklin book, sorry to hear it may not be as comprehensive as desired.

I went out to Barnes and Noble (have a membership that provides me with additional discounts and free shipping when ordered from them) and did an advanced search using canada+lighthouse and alaska+lighthouse and found a number of choices but ordered the following. All are used copies so I had to pay $3.99 for each book ordered.

Elinor Dewire's "The Field Guide to Lighthouses of the Pacific Coast: California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii." Only $3.50 + $3.99 shipping. Elinor is extremely knowledgeable about lighthouses, and has written a number of books. By the way, she is President of the Washington Lightkeepers Association.

Another book I ordered sort of blindly (no true explanation of contents) is "Northern Lights: Lighthouses of Canada" by David Baird. I'll let you know if it is a possible good one once I receive it.

I found a book of fiction that I will save to read on the cruise "Murder at Five Finger Light" smile

Melody
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197611 08/06/10 12:16 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by wvlights0:
I am starting to research the lighthouses we will see. I have "Guiding Lights" a British Columbia lighthouse book and its pretty good. Excellent pictures and covers most of the lights with the emphasis on actual visits and meeting with the keepers. I would like more history information but thats just me. Any recommendations for books on lighthouses in:
Alaska - British Columbia or Washington?

I have already found that there is not nearly as much information on BC lights on the internet. Lighthouse Friends has pictures and maps, but the pages are not completed yet. The most information I have found is on the LH Directory. Anyone found anything more informative?
Try this site -

http://www.fogwhistle.ca/bclights/

Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197612 08/06/10 01:35 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Melody. I saw that novel too. I figured I would wait till closer to the cruise to get it, otherwise I'll read ahead of time. Let me know what you think of the Field Guide. Judy, I have the Umbrella Guide coming. No Greg, I haven't seen that, we don't get PBS. Hilari, I have looked at that site, its where LH Directory sends you for each BC lights, but there are only pictures and one line for each lighthouse. I wonder if the Canadian coast guard has a site? I'll have to look some more when I get a chance.

Laura
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197613 08/06/10 02:44 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Laura, you should also look at Rowlett's website.

Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197614 08/06/10 04:41 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
You are right, that is the best information I have found so far.

Laura
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197615 08/06/10 08:59 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I won't read it ahead of time as I keep piles of books, as I never want to run out of reading material. My problem will be finding it come June of next year frown maybe I should just go ahead and put it in the suitcase now. Talk about packing ahead of time... laugh

Melody
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197616 08/09/10 10:35 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Two books on British Columbia lights that I enjoyed and would recommend are "Keepers of the Light" and "Lights of the Inside Passage". Both are by Donald Graham, a former lighthouse keeper. They were published in the late 1980's so I don't know if they are still available. Lot's of history and stories of each BC light.

Larry

Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197617 08/10/10 12:05 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I had found this guy referenced in "Guiding Lights" and his books are available. I will be ordering shortly. He was a lightkeeper in BC.

Laura
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197618 08/10/10 01:18 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Laura, received the book "Northern Lights: Lighthouses of Canada" by David Baird in yesterday's mail. The book is a larger book, maybe 11x14 and about 2 inches thick. BC lights are in the last section of the book. Did not get a chance to really read the info yet. Will try to go through it tonight and let you know if might be a good book for pre-reading, too big (I think) to be bringing along on the trip.

Melody
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197619 08/10/10 09:01 PM
wvlights0 Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Sounds like a good one Melody. I'll wait till I hear what you think. The Umbrella Guide to Washington Lighthouses is just what I was wanting. Lots of information on current and previous lighthouses. I got a great map. 12" by 6' map of the cruise routes inside (and outside) passage. Lighthouses are marked but not labeled. Comes in a nice plastic sleeve. Covers exactly where we are going! Amazon page

Laura
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197620 08/13/10 04:26 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I bought a couple of books to share with the family members going on the Alaska Inside Passage Cruise for the 1st time and have started a round robin with them. Sue has read one of them before sharing an put page tabs on the pages that directly effected our cruise.. I got both books from Amazon.com - They are cruise information mainly but a little bit about the lights, I think, since I haven't had a chance to read them before the round robin started.

"The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide" Joe Upton; Paperback; $13.57

"Compass American Guides: Alaska's Inside Passage, 2nd Edition" Ann Chandonnet; Paperback; $12.89

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Best books for pre-cruise study #197621 08/14/10 01:02 PM
M
Mystery Guest Offline
Wacko
Wacko
M
The best book I've found for BC lights is by Graham and was previously mentioned and is noted below. For those still looking for pre-cruise reading material, the 3 books following it have various information on Alaska and the Inside Passage.

Before buying some of these books or others mentioned, if you live in an area with a good library system, you might find some of the titles for reviewing to see if you want to purchase your own copy.

Incidentally, all books mentioned in this thread can be found with varying prices and condition using one of the several book search engines. For instance, if someone wanted to save some money, the 2 books bought by Paul could have been purchased for about $5-15 less from other new book sellers and/or by buying very good used copies. If one searches carefully, Amazon is often not the least expensive source for books, it is simply the best known.

Lights of the Inside Passage: A History of British Columbias Lighthouses and Their Keepers by Donald Graham

Adventure Guide to the Inside Passage & Coastal Alaska (Adventure Guide to the Inside Passage & Coastal Alaska)
by Lynn Readicker-Henderson   Ed Readicker-Henderson

Fielding's Alaska Cruises and the Inside Passage: The Most In-Depth Guide to Alaska Cruises, Land Excursions, Insider Tips and Complete Ports of Call Listings ... Alaska Cruises and the Inside Passage) by Shirley Slater   Harry Basch

The Inside Passage to Alaska by Art Wolfe

mg

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users