Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HL Aruba "California" Lighthouse #197203 09/29/06 11:46 PM
BeaconBob Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Did HL ever produce a lighthouse that is in Aruba called California?

http://www.aruba-travelguide.com/sights/california_lighthouse.html

BB

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: HL Aruba "California" Lighthouse #197204 09/30/06 01:25 AM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

This is the lighthouse from a boat.

The lighthouse was built by a French architect in 1910, and stands on a small plateau named Hudishibana, an Aruban Indian name. It stands a couple of hundred yards from the Tierra del Sol Golf Course, near the town of Malmok and adjacent to the California White Sand Dunes where kids go dune surfing (wear tough jeans).

The lighthouse and the area around it was named after a steamship named California which wrecked just off the coast on September 23, 1891.

According to Sergio, ABB

Onboard there was a great deal of merchandise such as clothing, provisions and even furniture. [which]... were thrown overboard in an attempt to keep the ship afloat. As goods floated up to the shore they were picked up by locals... Two police officers from Curacao were called to Aruba to help stop the locals from stealing the goods... Traveling to the northern edge of the island, they stopped and asked for directions. They were not aware that California was a ship as their orders were simply to help local police. The locals thought it amusing that the cops were looking for a "place" that no one had ever heard of. Thus the nickname and reason why this area has became known as California.

The California that was wrecked here was NOT the same as the ship Californian that was in proximity of, and received distress signals from, the Titanic, as she went down in 1912. That Californian was wrecked in Greece after the lighthouse was built.

The lighthouse is not open to the public, but from the base of the lighthouse, you can see down both the south and north coast of the island.

Part of Bob's Aruba tour including the California Lighthouse. I told him to be sure to take pictures of the lighthouse for me, because I was taking a snorkeling trip instead of taking a land tour. So he took two pictures, plus a picture looking down at the beaches and sea. In that picture, you can see the catamaran that I was on (Pegasus II).

Re: HL Aruba "California" Lighthouse #197205 09/30/06 01:29 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
No BB they haven't. Harbour Lights has a website called www.Harbourlights.com. It contains many interesting topics such as a history of all lighthouses(LEs, GLOWS, LLOM, Anchor Bays, Christmas, Society, etc.) ever made and a short history of each. The site has variances by color, country, rods and many other facts. It might be an interesting tour for you to get as lot of your questions answered. You will find this site and the HLs archive site very interesting. This site will give you a wealth of information and may answer some question that you didn't even know you had yet.

Rich
Re: HL Aruba "California" Lighthouse #197206 09/30/06 10:56 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
This would be a great candidate for a "tall tower", much like the original Ponce. I would purchase it.

smile Bob smile

Re: HL Aruba "California" Lighthouse #197207 10/01/06 09:42 PM
beachcomber Offline
Yup, reminds me of Ponce, too. It would be a great one for HL to do.

beachcomber
Re: HL Aruba "California" Lighthouse #197208 10/02/06 12:09 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice photos Rosalie! It would make a nice HL!!

Debbie
Re: HL Aruba "California" Lighthouse #197209 10/02/06 04:09 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice Lighthouse!!!

Maybe HL will do more Carribean lights.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users