Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Barnegat (Glow) #197028 10/13/06 01:13 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Anyone have both GLOW versions (414 & 414rev) of Barnegat Light?

I'd like the know the differences between the two. Tower width, height, etc.

I have 414. My opinion of it is that it is way two small in size for being one of the tallest lighthouses.

I'd like to know more about 414rev before I look to purchase it.

The LE version (139)is not very accurate so I was hoping one of the GLOW versions would do it some justice.

I really hope HL revisits some of the older models and reissues a new version with greater detail then the original LE's and larger size the the GLOW's.

Thanks for the help. smile

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197029 10/13/06 01:40 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Barnegat, New Jersey #414 (Rev)

compare all the Barnegats

Harbour Lights stop the production for the #414 because collectors were complaining that it was too skinny and was not the correct proportional size. The production stop around 4,000 and then the 414 revised came out which is suppose to be proportional to the actual light.

DANIEL
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197030 10/13/06 06:09 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Anyone have a photo of them next to each other?

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197031 10/14/06 07:59 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
The original GLOW edition of Barnegat was indeed considerably closer to the correct proportions of the lighthouse than the later one. It is unfortunate that so many people could not see this and forced the company to produce the later, squatter version. A look at http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/NJ/barney2.jpg compared with the two GLOW editions will confirm this. If you have or can get the earlier version, I would cherish it if I were you.

Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197032 10/15/06 11:00 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
If you have or can get the earlier version, I would cherish it if I were you.
Many moons ago, there was always some spirited dialogue about LE's vs GLOW's. Many collectors looked at GLOW's as "giftware" of an endless supply. The GLOW supporters look at GLOW's as the only way they could get a version of a retired light because the real popular limited edition versions were cost prohibitive. In other words buying the GLOW for retail was a lot cheaper than buying a retired LE, if you could find it. Obviously, many of those retired LE's are now much more affordable, and in some cases cheaper than buying a GLOW at retail.

What does a new collector do? Hunt down an affordable LE or buy the GLOW? What it all boils down to is the fact that the casual shoppers far out number the true collectors. Probably for every limited edition collected by a serious collector, there are probably 25, 50, or may even 100 GLOW's sold of that same light. People want to buy a replica of something they've seen, and they can walk into area HL Dealers and find just that replica sitting on the shelf. They don't want to hunt down the cherished LE. They don't care. This is impulse buying. You have it on display, I want it now, so what do I owe you?

The truth of the matter is there just isn't enough serious collectors left. The new breed of collectors are more frugal and buy only a small portion of what is offered. Maybe they really are smarter than the passionate collectors of old. They certainly avoid a major expense plus the problems of storage and display.

If it feels good, do it! Buy your LE's. Buy your GLOW's. The actual difference is just all in the eyes of the beholder.

cool Bob cool

Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197033 10/15/06 12:57 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Danny:
The original GLOW edition of Barnegat was indeed considerably closer to the correct proportions of the lighthouse than the later one. It is unfortunate that so many people could not see this and forced the company to produce the later, squatter version.
The scale of the original 414 is the problem. I agree the detail is the best, but displaying it next to Absecon & and Cape May it looks drawfed. We need a better scaled version to go with the other two NJ tower lights. The LE was done in the early days of HL's and doesn't have good detail.

I'm wishing HL would produce another, maybe as a special event piece. I would have expressed my veiws to Harry Hine yesterday at Hereford Inlet light, but it was too crazy with all the lighthouse visitors there.

I'll keep hoping smile .

Stan M
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197034 10/15/06 01:11 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:

The truth of the matter is there just isn't enough serious collectors left. The new breed of collectors are more frugal and buy only a small portion of what is offered. Maybe they really are smarter than the passionate collectors of old. They certainly avoid a major expense plus the problems of storage and display.
[/QB]
Todays collector has to be more frugal, the economy is no way near what it was in the mid to late 90's. That was economic blish. Every industry did well. the last 5 or 6 years have been tougher to have the extra cash.

I think I'm very passionate and serious with my lighthouse collecting, I just don't have the money to buy that many pieces. So I'm trying to focus on certain areas of the country that interest me more.

I've wanted to collect HL's for a few years now, but couldn't due to the cost. Thanks to bargain shopping on EBay and a few other spots, I have built a pretty good HL collection. This way I can afford to buy 3 or 4 new ones at retail each year.

LONG LIVE HARBOUR LIGHTS !!!

Stan M
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197035 10/15/06 01:16 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Many moons ago, there was always some spirited dialogue about LE's vs GLOW's. Many collectors looked at GLOW's as "giftware" of an endless supply. The GLOW supporters look at GLOW's as the only way they could get a version of a retired light because the real popular limited edition versions were cost prohibitive. In other words buying the GLOW for retail was a lot cheaper than buying a retired LE, if you could find it. Obviously, many of those retired LE's are now much more affordable, and in some cases cheaper than buying a GLOW at retail.
[/QB]
The older LE's are more affordable, but not as nicely detailed as the more current one's. I collect more for the detail and scale to match the real deal, then the collectable value.

Call me a LOON !!!

Stan M
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197036 10/15/06 01:18 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Wow !!! Who wound me up !!!

Must have been all that lighthouse climbing yesterday.

Stan M
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197037 10/15/06 06:47 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
By way of a quick clarification, I meant that if you can get the earlier version of the GLOW piece [414 versus 414 rev.], cherish that one.

Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197038 10/17/06 04:36 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You guys are killing me with acronyms! I AM a very newbie collector and was doing some research and thought you were actually talking about a "Glow" version thinking that it meant that it was lit.
Then I came to find out that it meant "Great Lighthouses Of the World." LOL wink

BTW: I found a HL414 and picked it up as it definately looks more like the actual lighthouse...but would definately like to see a larger version like the LE Cape May version.

BB

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Barnegat (Glow) #197039 10/17/06 10:21 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by BeaconBob:
BTW: I found a HL414 and picked it up as it definately looks more like the actual lighthouse...but would definately like to see a larger version like the LE Cape May version.
BB
I hope we see a new HL version of Barnegat in the near future. One that is the same scale as both the Cape May and Absecon LE's, but with greater detail then the LE 139 piece. Would be great if they did a 1910 Barnegat with the keepers house. cool

Stan M

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,299 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users