Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Other than limited edition releases... #196861 05/10/06 10:40 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
How many of you remember the days when serious HL Collectors would literally save at least one of everything offered by Harbour Lights, including postcards, brochures, Legacys (oh those wonderful hard copy days!), pins, buttons, thumbnails, etc. Then collectors would buy one of every new release re LE's, GLOW's, Christmas Ornaments, AB's, Lenses, etc. Needless to say, it required quite an investment of time and money to keep up with the "one-of-everything" goal.

Then came the introduction of the famous "gold pieces". They are rare and most people lucky enough to possess one would not give them up. A "one-of-everything" collector would have to have really deep pockets to add every Harbour Lights gold offering to their collection, if he or she could convince the present owners to part with them.

Does it make you wonder if anyone does that anymore? As Harbour Lights adds more years to its reign at the best lighthouse collectible in the world, the task of keeping everything has become a mammoth one. Do you know of anyone that still attempts to keep up such a serious commitment? Paul Brady comes to mind, but I don't really know if he has kept up. I'm sure when he reads this we will find out.

Anyone else that may be close?

smile Bob smile

Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196862 05/10/06 12:31 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Bob,

I have managed to collect everything that Harbour Lights has produced. This includes the LE's, GLOW's, Christmas Ornaments, AB's, Lenses, Thumbnails, Little Lights, Spy Glasses, Pharos and even the “Knights of the Not-So-Round Table – which few people even knew existed”.

I do NOT collect the Balloons or the Guardians of the Night. Although I used to collect the hard copy Legacy’s, I STOPPED when Harbour Lights downgraded them to the electronic version.

And yes, I try to obtain the GOLD Lighthouses whenever possible.

Do I have deep pockets? Absolutely NOT! I manage to exist on social security.

bobo

Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196863 05/10/06 03:38 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Good for you, Bobo! It sounds like you have quite a collection of HL memorabilia plus the beloved sculptures. You didn't manage to collect all that stuff without digging deep in your pockets. How long did it take you to do it?

smile Bob smile

Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196864 05/10/06 05:36 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I still have at least one everything (after acquiring my CH1 this last year) HL has produced including all but one Guardian that one I must have donated as a club giveaway... And Bobo I don't have the Knights of the not so Roundtable.. I had to pass on those..

I have all of the AB's, even still have some extras of the regular AB without the people..

We had a lot of the balloons and still have 4 or 5 after using a lot as presents to others (just ran out of display room)..

Except for the extras everything is on display...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196865 05/10/06 06:56 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I cannot claim to have collected everything. But I do have a lot.

I have all but 5 LE's, including the Lenses (but not counting variations. I have a few variations but not many).

I do not collect GLOW's, but I do have a few, 19 to be exact.

I have not one set, but two sets of the Pharos.

I have 10 Anchor Bays.

I have 2 Gold's

I have all of the Spyglass sets, and the Christmas Ornaments.

And I am just now starting to collect the Little Lights. So far I have 38.

And I have 4 Sky Bound Balloons.

Also I have many pins and buttons and Mark Sherman prints to go along with my collection.

Do I have it all.... NO! Do I have a small fortune invested in Harbour Lights.... you betya!!! eek laugh eek

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196866 05/12/06 02:22 AM
beachcomber Offline
I don't have anywhere near the collection that you all have. Never intended to - not enough money or space. I do have all the Xmas lights and the three Spyglass series. I have 23 of the 25 thumbnails and I'm always on the lookout for Cape Hatteras and Sandy Hook. One thing not mentioned by any of you is the "Days Gone By". I have the Flying Santa and the family of four: the lightkeeper, the little boy with dog, the mother with the little girl. Anybody else get those?

beachcomber
Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196867 05/12/06 09:41 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I also have the Flying Santa Collection, plus the Lighthouse Keeper Series of 4 and the miniature Boston Figures Series of 4 and of course I have 4 Bill Dolls and 5 "Bob Younger" Trees. I also have a complete set of Society Buttons that came with our membership and a complete sets of Spyglass Pieces(4+7+7) and 4 Thumbnails. I've also got the original 4 Balloons and a special St. Augustine Balloon made that can only be bought at St. Augustine Lighthouse. I have 18 LLOMs and a few GLOWs(no comment on those). The rest of my collection is strickly limited editions. I gave all my Legacy Magazines, brochures, seahorse pins, extra Society Pins, brochures, etc. to Bob Ott for the cost of the postage. Too much stuff in my den was driving me crazy.

Rich
Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196868 05/12/06 11:21 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Was the "Wig Wag Man" that was included with (if memory serves me) Point Allerton LSS supposed to be the fist of the Days Gone By Set?

Also don't forget the two sets of lobster floats - Bill's Favorites and Nancy's Favorites.

Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196869 05/12/06 01:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Wig Wag Man was included with Point Allerton, then you could buy the other three "Men of the Lifesaving Service" separately. They weren't labeled as "Days Gone By" -- that was the four piece set of the Flying Santa.

The boxes for the Days Gone By featured a collage of old family photos of the Younger Family.

I think Rich is referring to the set of four "Men of the Lifesaving Service" rather than the Lightkeepers.

There was a series of busts of famous lightkeepers that was sold by LHD several years ago. Harbour Lights was approached by the creator about marketing them, but took a pass.

The Youngers were also approached by the producers of "Murder She Wrote" to make a sculpture of the lighthouse (and perhaps other buildings) used on the series back when it was in first run.

I think the show used two different CA lights to represent the mythical Cabot Cove Light. Anyone know which?

Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196870 05/12/06 07:48 PM
beachcomber Offline
I'd forgotten about the Keeper and Friends (That may be what Rich is talking about.). They were pewter figurines similar to the Boston figures (which I have). I wanted to get that set but never did. I wonder if anyone still has them. I had the Men of the Life Saving Service (which I won in Baltimore) but gave them to one of the clubs for auction. When I decided to get the busts of the keepers, LHD didn't carry them anymore. Anyone know where I might get those?

beachcomber
Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196871 05/12/06 09:37 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I was referring to the Men of the Lifesaving Service when I said Lighthouses Service. Old age is starting to take it's toll on me.

Rich
Re: Other than limited edition releases... #196872 05/13/06 02:57 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I have since found that I have the complete set of Guardians... I have all 15 that HL produced..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,305 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users