Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Book -The first review #196844 11/07/06 02:54 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I do not have my "Offical Collectors Guide" yet, but I was a reviewer. Though I mainly focused on the variations, I did get a chance to look quickly over the contents.
I also wrote a little article in the book about my personal collecting experiences.
For those of you that have collected during the good old days should appreciate this and bring back some memories. For you new collectors this will give you a taste of what life was like for us Harbour Light pioneers.

Looking at this book the first thing that comes to my mind is that Harbour light is still alive and well. This book is like a symbol that supports the collect ability of Harbour lights. As the opposite way that Graffiti on walls and broken windows on the old factories shows defeat and despair, this book show success and Hope for Harbour Light collecting.

My second reaction to the book was that I am overwhelmed. Pictures, pictures everywhere. The book is fun to look at and well worth the $39.00. Even if you are not a studious collector, you will enjoy all the many lighthouse figurines and HL accessories that this book is packed with.

What does the book do for collectors?
1. The most important thing this book provides is that it identifies the Lighthouses and gives its production number and the edition size. (When known.)
2. The second thing this book does, is let the collectors know what is out there to collect. One of my favorite phrases was, “More people would collect this one if they knew about it”. Hopefully this book will help change that.
3. It tells some history about the lighthouse. Besides being a great collectors guide it is also a lighthouse information source.
4. This book is also a source for Harbour Lights facts, history and stories.

As it comes to variations, John took the traditional approach with manufacturer changes identified as variations, not the artist preferences. This is understandable since covering all the paint variations enacted by artist would be a book in itself. Paul’s photography is excellent and I think everyone will enjoy the side-by-side comparison of the variations.

Some collectors may be disappointed that there are no market values for the lighthouses.
That again is hard to give an accurate value with fluctuating prices on ebay. Ebay values are stimulated by the season of the year and how long since a lighthouse like it has been on ebay. Also this forum has a strong influence on lighthouse values.
Example; The Minots “Made in Canada” green water is now going as high as $280. This summer it was lucky to reach $100. What is it value?

I feel that this book is the greatest accomplishment (that I know of) that John and Paul have done. Moreover, I think most collectors will want at least two. One for home and one for the office. Anyone that follows ebay will want this book for a quick reference. In addition, this is a great Christmas present for anyone that likes lighthouses and not necessarily just Harbour Lights. No John is not paying me for this review; I am just saying what I believe.

DANIEL
Re: The Book -The first review #196845 11/07/06 03:04 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I haven't received mine yet but expect it more towards mid-November. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, and using it as a reference.

Great review, Daniel!

smile Bob smile

Re: The Book -The first review #196846 11/07/06 05:20 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the review.
I am looking forward to the book!

It will save me having to flick between windows on my PC. One is open for eBay, the other on the Harbour Lights website in the Product Search... With the book I will be able to do this with much less confusion smile

I have seen a little bit of the book too. And I must say, it looks BRILLIANT! Much work has gone into making it a valuable reference as well as an ejoyable read / browse.
I bet we will all learn quite a bit about Harbour Lights and the people involved!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: The Book -The first review #196847 11/07/06 06:00 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Okay...knock it off! laugh I am trying to get one of these books and you guys are making it worse!
All this hype is making me very anxious! :rolleyes: I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this book!!!!
I called my dealer yet again today...he said it is coming....all I can say is, "Hurry Please!!!"

A few quick questions...does the book have pictures of the thumbnails and spyglass sets as well?

Does it also include Anchor Bay stuff?

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: The Book -The first review #196848 11/07/06 06:40 PM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
A few quick questions...does the book have pictures of the thumbnails and spyglass sets as well?

Does it also include Anchor Bay stuff?
Yes;
Plus the Anchor Bay open edition plus the Anchor Bay brochure.
Like I said before. Pictures, Pictures everywhere.

DANIEL
Re: The Book -The first review #196849 11/07/06 08:17 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
This is NOT a critique nor even a criticism. The only thing that I have seen of the book is the sampling that was sent via Harbour Lights in my email.

I note a misspelling of the word "Requiem" in the contents, as "Requim for a Tree Man." Typos happen....I KNOW! Maybe you can catch this early enough that it won't go into later editions. Or is this an intentional glitch to make the book more valuable, hmmm? smile

Re: The Book -The first review #196850 11/07/06 10:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks, Danny. St. Tim emailed me last night noting the same error to the title of "his" story.

I'm sure you'll find some more. Once the book gets more into circulation, I'll invite people to note things they find wrong and if and when another edition comes out, those things will get fixed.

All 4,950 of the remaining copies are somewhere on the ocean or on a truck heading for West Kennebunk ME. So there are no 'variations'!

Re: The Book -The first review #196851 11/08/06 01:39 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the great reveiw Daniel. Lokking forward to recieving my copy.

Cyndi
Re: The Book -The first review #196852 11/08/06 09:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I personally can't wait to get the book. I currently keep the outdated "Greenbook Guide to Harbour Lights" right next to my computer, and refer to it often. It will really be nice to have a more up-to-date guide in its place.

I would love to see another updated edition come out in a couple of years, but no later than five years. Perhaps an incentive could be added by Harbour Lights and the Collector Society to encourage collectors to buy one.

smile Bob smile

Re: The Book -The first review #196853 11/09/06 05:59 PM
kikigl Offline
I got my copy at the Portland Regional and it is, I'm sure, the most complete, fantastic book ever written about lighthouses! It contains just about everything you would ever want to know about Harbour Lights. John and Paul, amd anybody else who helped in any way, you accomplished a wonderful thing.
I took my copy to show my dealer,(The Bronze Lady at Madeira Beach), and he got on the phone while I was there to call his Rep to place an order.

Kay
Re: The Book -The first review #196854 11/09/06 10:13 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Way to go, Kay! That's what we need!

Quote:
Bob - it has photographs of every nautical thing Harbour Lights has made. Thumbnails, Spyglass, Ornaments, GLOWs, Limiteds, Guardians of the Night, lightships, USCG ships & boats, Anchor Bay, Life Saving Stations and Fresnel Lenses. Also Men of the the LSS and Flying Santa. Mark Sherman prints, Pharos Collection and British Little Lights, too.

No Balloons, No purses, no Z-base phone holders. No clothing items.

Re: The Book -The first review #196855 11/10/06 10:45 AM
DANIEL Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
John
You did not mention all the Harbour Light accessories that are in your’s and Paul’s book:
Buttons
Legacies
Brochures
Flyers (sell sheets)
Post cards.

As I said before Pictures, pictures, everywhere.
I guarantee that no Harbour Light collector will be disappointed with this book.

DANIEL
Re: The Book -The first review #196856 11/11/06 05:07 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Outstanding review Daniel. I received mine at the Portland Regional as did Kay and I do agree with you re your review. I'm sure it will be a big help. I know it is to me.

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: The Book -The first review #196857 11/13/06 02:34 AM
E
EllenLG Offline
E
We also received ours at Portland Regional, what a great book.
And as we were showing it to friend's of ours we
found out that Watch Hill was listed as a Connecticut Lighthouse.

Re: The Book -The first review #196858 11/13/06 11:19 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Did the citizens of CT claim Watch Hill? Don't let the folks in RI find out or there could be trouble!

I'm hoping Watch Hill may be a future release by Harbour Lights, hopefully, in 2007.

smile Bob smile

Re: The Book -The first review #196859 11/13/06 01:29 PM
E
EllenLG Offline
E
If so I'm sure the lighthouse lovers of Connecticut would be very happy smile

Re: The Book -The first review #196860 11/13/06 02:04 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Watch Hill is on Rhode Island soil, so I would say it's a Rhode Island lighthhouse. Check out the google map on www.lighthousefriends.com

Of course this is not 100%, The Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey waters and it's considered part of New York. confused confused confused

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,362 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users