Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What would be your choice? #196636 09/14/07 02:13 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Visiting with Harry during the course of the recent Door County regional we had the time to have a conversation about the intracacies of HL models. Here is Harry's dilema:

As most of you realize, Harry loves to get as much detail as possible into each and every HL. Some of the lights they have looked at producing recently were ones that would involve a lot of metalwork. (ones that maybe had a neat cat walk or maybe were ones that were up on stilts among others) However, with the production costs going up, especially for something this detailed, the cost of some models done in detail would be such that they would have to retail for over $100.

He and I talked about various alternatives to help keep retail price down. One might be to include less detail, especially detail that required metalwork. One might be to go back to the more "primitive" days trying to make a model that allowed more resin, less metal. Maybe in the case of a light where part of the original station was now mostly gone he could design a piece that had the tower and then maybe a little of the ruins of the keepers house, like perhaps the stilts where it used to be (they could be cast instead of needing to be detailed metal work).

Harry appreciates the need to try to get as much model for as little cost as possible. But, he is also a great artist who can really design an "over the top" piece that has magnificent detail. I have been thinking about the dilema and can appreciate both ends of the spectrum. I really enjoy the detail Harry can create, but I also have the tight budget that says "go for cheap".

What are your thoughts or your preferences? Get the detail, go for cheap or try to find a workable compromise?

Re: What would be your choice? #196637 09/14/07 03:07 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
What are your thoughts or your preferences? Get the detail, go for cheap or try to find a workable compromise?
I'm sure many of our fellow collectors are used to spending "X" amount of dollars a year on Harbour Lights. If Tony and his crew are going to make less new releases in the upcoming year, I would think a few $100 LE's wouldn't hurt their business. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing a few releases similar to HL's of old. It could be kind of a "throw-back" thing. Maybe they would consider drilling the ventilator ball for a lightning rod insertion, if the purchaser decides he or she would like that. I know I would!

smile Bob smile

Re: What would be your choice? #196638 09/14/07 03:45 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Detail is the number one importance for me as a lighthouse model collector. I would spend the extra cash for a few $100 plus HL releases each year.

Since there are a few less LE's being made each year, I see no harm in a few LE's that are going to cost me over a $100. There still going to be the simpliar one's that are going to be in the $65 to $75 range.

Maybe Harry could balance the releases. For every $100+ release do a $45-$50 simple lighthouse release(example:Delaware Breakwater, Miah Maull Shoal, or some of the CF exclusive suggestions that didn't make the cut).

Combined dollar of all the releases for a year could still be the same, just have a few $100 ones, a few $75 ones, and a few $50 ones.

Bottom line: My vote in for keeping the detail. I look forward to seeing more metal on future HL's. It's what sets Harbour Lights above other lighthouse replica makers.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: What would be your choice? #196639 09/14/07 05:06 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Maybe Harry could balance the releases. For every $100+ release do a $45-$50 simple lighthouse release
I am with Stan.

To loose HLs with this amazing amount of detail altogether would be a HUGE shame.

And there is nothing wrong with a few $100 LEs ... But it would be nice to have some more affordable ones too.

I realize it is easy for me to say that. I am not on auto-ship and have no intention of going there any time soon. So I pick and choose what I buy and therefore pay for.

But I certainly WOULD buy some $100 HLs and would buy them because of the fantastic detail!!

Oh and I would actually love to see lighthouse models with the ruins of old keepers cottages etc.
Sorry that is the old romantic in me coming out ... whistling

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: What would be your choice? #196640 09/14/07 07:42 PM
Dave H Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
OK, Margret let me ask a very direct question - when you say "ruins of keepers cottages" are you saying you would like to see them as they are now, or how they were at the height of glory. Such as, if the cottage was originally on stilts but only the stilts now remain, would you show the stilts where they were relative to the tower?

Re: What would be your choice? #196641 09/14/07 08:06 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I might suggest----in fact, I AM suggesting----that as much detail be included as is reasonable without turning a piece into a nightmare of fragility. One thing that I liked about the early pieces is that one could handle them and turn them about to look at them without sweating blood over masts, slender branches, poles, etc. It would be nice if a balance could be achieved between detail and practicality.

I also concur that if fewer pieces were released each year, then a higher cost for greater detail would be a fair trade, not to mention the bonus of having fewer lights to store and/or display.

Danny

Re: What would be your choice? #196642 09/14/07 09:21 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm not one for fancy detail such as sailboats, wheelbarrow, hoes, shovels, etc. The main reason I went with Harbour Lights over Cheryl Spencer Collins is the simple design over birds, animal, etc. I like simple offerings with good simple detail. I am not against a couple of lights in the $100 range as long as there are other offerings in the $60-$80 range for balance. I, too, would also like to see some early 90's simplistic offerings along with the more detailed offerings of today. Also, have the ventilator ball predrilled so a lightning rod can be installed if you choose as Bob M. suggested.

Rich
Re: What would be your choice? #196643 09/14/07 11:39 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I think one or two a year of a highly detailed light at $100 would be appropriate. It could also be used to test waters to see how well it will sell. I personally think that the main stream limited HL needs to stay under $75. Some lighthouse will demand some expensive metal work just to make them look realistic. We don’t want to see anything like an St Joseph L.E. anymore. Thomas point and Sanibel needed the expensive metal work just to make them look relilistic, While St Simons and St Augustine didn’t need anything extra to make them still one of HL best looking lights.

I personally don’t think a supper duper metal catwalk or fence is that necessary, but I do believe a walking bridge with post and cables would look a lot better in metal work or some other intricate part of a lighthouse that needs to have its detail captured probably should be don’t in pewter. I think if a light has some major items on it that is intricate and demands metal work, and then pick it to be one of the $100 dollar ones. But I don’t think we need to keep putting metal fence and catwalks on lights if they are going to be more expensive.

Just because we don’t use metal work does not mean the HL will be primitive looking. The casting is better and the number one HL improvement is the Painting. HL has come a long way with their painting. What made the ELL such a good looker? Was it the intricate painting of the tower or some of the metal work? The metal work is nice but it doesn’t hit a home run like a good paint job. Look at the Grand Island East Channel.

DANIEL
Re: What would be your choice? #196644 09/15/07 11:05 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
...that as much detail be included as is reasonable without turning a piece into a nightmare of fragility.
Excellent point, Danny! I cringe to think how may HL's have been reduced in value because of damage experienced through somewhat normal handling. Break something off and your HL's value is seriouly reduced.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: What would be your choice? #196645 09/20/07 05:05 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I fall in the middle like most of the responses so far. I love the detail and if there are fewer releases each year, then a $100 piece wouldn't be so bad. I share the concern that the level of detail adds to the risk of breakage. I would prefer less non-lighthouse detail, ie fewer boats, etc. and concentrate on the detail of the lighthouse itself. I look to the South Haven, MI light that HL did as a great example of giving high detail to the light with the metal catwalk.

No matter which way it goes, I will still love Harbour Lights.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: What would be your choice? #196646 09/20/07 05:45 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I guess I agree with most in that I would like to see a few $100.00 + dollar ones and a few small, simpler $50.00 ones and some middle of the road $75.00 ones.

To answer Dave's question directly, I would have no problem buying a piece in a "now" state, rather than a "then" state. Like for instance, a Crisp Point, tower only and maybe a few remains of the keepers house. I certainly would have preffered Little Sable as I see it now, ruins of the keepers house and the red brick exposed then as it was long before I was around. I tend to live more in the present and future when it comes to H.L.'s than in the past, which is why I don't own any of the "Gone but not forgotten" lights. If I can't see it, I wont buy it. Give me some ruins and cut the costs by all means.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Re: What would be your choice? #196647 09/23/07 12:07 AM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi everybody. Works been crazy so I haven't checked in lately.

I would have to agree with most everyone else. I love the detail put into LE, but would also like to be able to handle and look at them without holding my breath, affaid of something breaking off.

And my pocket book would be able to handle a mixture of $100 and $45 to $65 pieces.

Cyndi
Re: What would be your choice? #196648 09/23/07 12:48 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Harbour Lights has come a long way when it comes to detail. I love the detail and, like several mentioned, the lighthouse detail is far more important than a delicate boat, flag pole or extra decorative adornment that is easily broken. I would pay the extra amount for one or two detailed replicas but not all of them. Keep up the quality and even though I wouldn't part with the early ones don't go back to that simple reproduction of a light! Harry's detail now is amazing like in Daniel's example of Grand Island East Channel. Wow!
Judy

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,311 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users