Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196443 12/04/09 02:50 PM
Middle I-land MI Max Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Noticed that a few HL are now being discounted up to 80% off list price on this latest sale announced today 12-4-09.

Hopefully, this isn't another clue to the demise of our beloved HL!

Max

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196444 12/04/09 03:20 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Kind of bummed to see the Taney set selling for under $40. eek

I paid the full price of $190 back when they first came out. anger

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196445 12/04/09 05:15 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I think those sales prices may be a typo. Selling those pieces for that price would not be prudent for the LHD.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196446 12/04/09 07:41 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I don't know Bob; earlier this year, they were giving Conanicut for free as a bonus for spending $50+ I think.

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196447 12/05/09 10:10 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Doesn't appear to be a typo. I ordered a set at the sale price.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196448 12/05/09 11:56 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Who is selling these lights at bargain prices?

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196449 12/06/09 12:39 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Lighthouse Depot in Wells, Maine

1-800-758-1444 24 hrs. a day / 7 days a week

www.LighthouseDepot.com

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196450 12/06/09 03:07 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
If the Dealers can't mark down there prices than LHD shouldn't be able to either! They are hurting all the dealers out there that are trying to make a living just like they are.

That said I wish they would mark down some of the other merchandise that they sell as well. I have all the Harbour Lights that they are offering, bought at full price from my DEALER. But I sure would like to buy other merchandises like the Lighthouse Quilt or Lighthouse Curtains or some of their clothes ... etc. But I can't afford there HIGH prices!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196451 12/06/09 06:43 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Stephanie

Have you signed up for LHD automatic eMails that notify you of all special sales, shipping specials, clearance items, etc. on all kinds of items not just HL??

I agree that on the one hand HL wants us to use what's left of their decimated dealer network (like I do here in Michigan), but their other hand turns LHD loose to uncut their own remaining HL dealers?

Does this make sense or just economics??

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196452 12/07/09 03:55 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I foresee "mutiny" if LHD continues selling pieces at dramatically cut prices as they have been doing for some time now.

HL may as well say "good bye" to its other dealers as this kind of practice is hurting other dealers in these economic hard times.

I know, I know, it's LHD own inventory and they can sell it for what ever they want as they already paid HLs for the inventory. But if LHD, continues to sell pieces at price that is drasticlly reduced it encourages collectors (mostly new collectors) to purchase the reduce pieces from LHD and not the SRP price from another HL dealer. Therefore, it is killing the intent of collectors to buy their HL pieces from a HL dealer which in turn keeps the Harbour Lights name alive.

I for one, pledge to stay with my current dealer and continue with them (as long as I can) as they DO NOT mark down HL pieces. I would rather give my hard earned money, during these questionable economic times, to one who plays the game by the rules.

These comments are my own opinion and do not necessary speak for anyone else, But I get "miffed" when I hear crap like this!

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196453 12/08/09 09:30 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Does anyone else see this as the canary in the coal mine...

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196454 12/08/09 10:24 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hopefully their just trying to get the sales numbers up in these slow economic times.

Lets hope things go back to normal soon!!!

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196455 12/09/09 02:28 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
They may be just trying to get rid of allot of old inventory. The line has grown quite large with lots of old models not sold out. I'm sure LD would love to have less inventory to keep track of with a smaller number of pieces to manage.
With that said unfortunately this inventory reduction comes at the dealers expense which does not seem right. I predict this will only cause more dealers to drop the line, with the resulting less exposure to the public of this product.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196456 12/09/09 11:24 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
And let's hope that HL doesn't decide to drop some of their traditional line or .......

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196457 12/10/09 12:17 AM
C
ctlights Offline
C
Just received the Conanicut 2006 Christmas piece from LD when I arrived home this evening and must say it is an absolute beauty!
What a bargain, $18.88! If you don't own one I'd get one.

Needless to say I can't imagine why they would sell this so cheaply. I got piece 2203.

Maybe it's time for all dealers to start cutting prices on older inventory. There certainly is room for this... They could cut 25% and still make a nice profit. Lower prices on existing inventory might bring new collectors to the table - after all, we all started with our first piece, and most of us bought plenty more!

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196458 12/10/09 09:13 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
A good point. Harbour Lights are one of the few products I can think of where the MSRP is adhered to so stiffly, and with such a stringent corporate policy.

Meanwhile...I'm guessing that once the piece is sold to the dealer, Lighthouse Marketing has gotten their fair share of the financial deal out of the piece and effectively washed their hands of it. The resulting profit should be up to the discretion of the dealer to discount as they desire, so as to produce greater overall profit for the dealer.

If I was selling HLs, I'd much rather sell five pieces at 25% off, than be a stickler and sell one at full retail.

Meanwhile, while corporate sticks to this policy...all they're doing is creating a high-priced product in a recession with no competition to spur lower prices to entice buyers to buy the pieces at higher volume. That means fewer pieces sold...less profit for HL...and eventually...well...

Goodbye.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196459 12/22/09 11:15 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Well, here goes LHD again with their Christmas Clearance sale of HL. Just to let you shoppers know a few highlights (or low lights as the individual case may be):

Conanicut, RI 2006 Christmas piece $18.83

Hospital Point, MA 2007 " " 73.95

Old North Church 18.88

Selected new style ornaments 8.88

40 other HL lighthouses on sale too.

No Bob, these prices are not mistakes.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196460 12/23/09 03:44 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow... Great buys if you didn't already buy them at full price!

I stopped recieving LHD sale offers ever since I updated my email address on there website. confused And yes I did check its the right email address.

Stan M
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196461 01/25/10 04:55 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
I got the recent catalog from LD in the mail... Anybody notice they are now selling past Society "exclusive" pieces on sale?

Thought you had to be a Society member to obtain these... Nope.
Thought this was a "timed" release; no more could be purchased. Guess not....

Is this the beginning of the end? And we're complaining about EBAY?

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196462 01/25/10 06:24 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I foresee it as "Writing on the wall" meaning....

I believe (and it is my own personal opinion) that in the near future, whether it is in a few years or so, Harbour Lights will ONLY be available through Lighthouse Depot since its connection with Lighthouse Marketing.

As LHD continues to sell off Harbour Lights pieces at a greater discount then other HL dealers, as many other HL dealers can not or will not sell there pieces at a discount, LHD is killing the other dealers with unfair practices.

So what ever happens will happen..... ebay is just a tip of the iceberg. I think a few "higher ups should review and consider the practices that are being followed and look at the path that is currently being followed.

I foresee our beloved HLs will disappear within 2 years or so ! frown

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196463 01/26/10 12:04 AM
The Lightkeeper Offline
As for me, because of LHD continually discounting HL prices and thus making my collection virtually WORTHLESS, I have decided not to purchase anymore and the ones I have will probably be sold off at our yard sale this coming spring.

It was bad enough that HL allowed dealers to sell on EBAY at discounted prices (and don't think that for one moment they didn't know who was doing it)

Enough is enough. This collector is through with Harbour Lights.

And I might add that Harbour Lights may also be through in few short years because I believe that they have lost most of their loyal collectors. (and I wonder why!!!)

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196464 01/26/10 06:06 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I, for one, was really unhappy about Lighthouse Depot concerning their deep discounting of older lights. Now I'm more then unhappy! I'm totally disgusted with the fact that LHD is not only selling, but almost giving away, the Society Pieces that ONLY MEMBERS of the Collector's Society could buy.

I am going to comment on a subject that's very near and dear to all of us, and that is Harbour Lights and where they fit into this LHD fiasco. The way I understand the picture is: Lighthouse Marketing(Don Devine) owns both the Lighthouse Depot and more recently Harbour Lights. I'm sure he has the mind of a brilliant businessman, but, I think he may have lost his mind as a collector. As a businessman, you try and make a profit, as a collector you try and make your loyal buyers happy. The Youngers had the businessman and collector part perfected. Mr. Devine is failing to make his loyal collectors happy because he is thinking like a businessman. When he put up the Collectors Society Redemption Pieces for sale to non-society members he has inserted one foot into his proverbial grave. The Collectors Society is lossing members faster then they are getting them and now he sticks this nail into the coffin.

Tony, at Harbour Lights, must be pulling his hair out trying to figure what is going to happen next with the loyal collectors he has left and will they jump ship like rats in a storm. I'm going to bide my time, and tread water, until I see what other surprises are up Mr. Devine's sleeve. If I continue to see more of the business decisions, rather then collector based decisions, I will get in my life raft and sail off into the sunset with my collection as it stands today.

I also have until May to decide if I'm going to renew my membership and will not comment further on my renewal at this time.

Rich
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196465 01/26/10 07:20 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Another thing to note is that Walt Disney Classics Collectors (WDCC) Society, whom Tony was very familiar with in the past, announced a few months ago that they were DISCONTINUING until further notice their Collectors Society starting with 2010. No explanation.

The Bronze Lady of Orlando appears to do quite a business in WDCC in addition to their HL's. They noted that Enesco, who bought WDCC, tried blowing out about 400 of WDCC Small World figurines thru TJ Maxx. WDCC collectors flooded Enesco with their displeasure with this tactic and it appeared to make an impression. Maybe HL and Lighthouse Depot need more emails about certain things that are of great concern to us HL collectors because of perceived negative affects to our HL collections.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196466 01/26/10 11:22 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This move does not make me happy either. I did not renew my Society membership until late in the year when I had more funds available, and since my local dealer closed I ordered through LHD thinking I could get the pieces shipped quickly. However, I just received a second postcard that the West Chops was still on back order. Maybe I should just cancel the order and wait for them to "mark it down"!

Melody
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196467 01/27/10 12:54 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm not happy these are now for sale to anyone, and at discounted prices, but maybe there are only a dozen or so of each left over from that years shipment.

Maybe they should have destroyed the extras, but maybe here's a chance for previous Society members to get another chance at these. Sounds like the reason the West Chop is backordered is to avoid another CS piece to have stock left in the warehouse.

I'm not saying this is right. I'm bummed too. I've paid my membership dues and paid full price for the CS exclusive on all of these. And add I bought my Taney set and Old North Church at full price as well.

I think HL is trying to avoid this going forward. Look at last years Christmas piece.

Stan M
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196468 01/27/10 03:56 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Fourteen members out of fifty members logged on to the Forums have responded to this topic. How about fourteen members out of the twenty one hundred+ members have responded. No wonder LHD is doing their thing, because there aren't enough members who care enough to even respond to what is going on let alone calling LHD and telling them your thoughts.

It's fine that you complain to yourself and the Forums about what is happening to HLS, but, what are you doing about it? Have you called LHD and registered your complaint? Have you emailed LHD and complained? The silent majority is not going to win this, even though you feel unless you have nothing good to say, don't say nothing. A "business mentality" has taken over our "collectibles" and if we don't make ourselves heard we will not have enough collectors left to keep HLs in business.

Our dealers are suffering through this also and they can't do a thing about it. We have to do whatever we can to make ourselves heard. The lighthouses may be bought by the dealers but they only initially buy what we WANT them to buy for us. We complain that more and more dealers are going out of business and we blame the dealers that are selling on Ebay. What is the difference between the Ebay dealers and LHD doing the samething? Absolutely no difference whatsoever, except, the Ebay dealers at least bought their product from HLS and are trying to exist while LHD is now trying to undermine both the Ebay and non-Ebay dealers with their low ball prices.

Tony and HLS have nothing to do with what LHD is doing, but, I bet they are receiving the flax from this latest LHD fiasco. Tony may be effectively in charge of HLS, but, he does not control the purse strings. Lighthouse Marketing(Don Devine) does and that is who we have to complain to. Another thing is "Why are you buying from LHD and destroying a sale to your few HLs dealers that are left? Is the few dollars that you save going to bankrupt you while that same sale to an established dealer might help to keep him/her in business?

What I'm posting is going to upset some members, but, it's time somebody did get upset and take action against what is going on. It's probably only going to get worst so stop it now or don't complain in the future after it's too late.

Rich
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196469 01/27/10 04:07 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Nice post Rich !!!

Stan M
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196470 01/27/10 04:14 PM
The Lightkeeper Offline
"Tony and HLS have nothing to do with what LHD is doing"

This may or may not be true, but one thing for sure is that both LHD and HLS are part of the same company - Lighthouse Marketing LTD.

And for sure HLS knows of what LHD is doing.

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196471 01/27/10 04:33 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike - While it's true that they are one in the same company and it may be true that Tony knows what is going to happen next(only Tony knows), who do you think controls the purse strings and the final decisions? If you owned a company and it meant your profit, wouldn't you have the final say so? I think so. Have you emailed or called LHD on your displeasure at what's going on or are you just going to give up in disgust without a fight?

While you are a relatively new member to the Forums and collecting, you may also have been reading the Forums for years and also collecting for years. Your input on this subject on the Forums, but more importantly to LHD/Lighthouse Marketing(Don Devine) will make a big impact on future decisions concerning selling HLs at a discount.

Rich
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196472 01/27/10 08:05 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
As a dealer, I have been sitting back and allowing the collectors to comment on this thread. It's time to give my perspective, I think.
First of all, I can tell you from my experiences with Tony that he knows what is going on. Truth is, (and he would never tell the collectors this), he isn't happy about the discounting, etc., but he has no say at all with what is being done over at LHD. The person you want to direct your ire to is Don Devine. He is the one who is making these decisions. And yes Rich, he may be thinking like a businessman, but one with short sightedness. "Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes" doesn't quite work in the collectible business. That's why so many collectible lines are either out of business or in trouble after being bought out by a larger company or conglomerate. They see the profit margin being made, but don't understand the limitations of collectibles. When they try to maximize profits by converting tactics which work well in other businesses to the collectible world, it just blows up in their faces. It appears to me that HL is heading down that same road.
I have posted in another thread on this subject that collectors are only helping to sound the death knell for this company. As long as collectors buy those discounted products, especially those collectors who frequent these Forums and are a BIG influence on how this company operates, the discounting will never stop and your collections will be worth about as much as a Confederate Dollar during the Civil War, (about 4 cents!). But there might be a silver lining in all this. Your collections may be worth something to your children's great-great grandchildren when HL has been out of business for a hundred years!
Also IMHO, I have stated this on various occasions and will once again state it here, it also appears to me that Don Devine is attempting to drive out all of the HL dealers and sell the line exclusively through LHD. I have made that opinion known to Tony. In order for that to happen, LHD will have to sell large quantities of HL's to cover their costs and turn a profit. How do they do that? Cut costs, and discount the product and sell by volume. The Wal-Mart mentality. It's already beginning to happen.
As collectors who care very much about the HL brand, it is time to follow Rich's advice. Send your e-mails and calls to LHD and try to speak directly to Don Devine, if possible. He obviously isn't concerned about the dealer network and their complaints (see above), so it is up to the collectors to do something to save the company. If only a few collectors contact him with complaints, then he can easily justify a few unhappy customers. But, if he is inundated with complaints, and his discounted merchandise remains sitting on the shelf while the full price merchandise sells, especially from other dealers' shelves and not LHD's, as a businessman he will inevitably get the message.
I am posting this on behalf of not only myself, but also on the behalf of every other dealer and HL collector. This is one of those defining moments every company faces at some point of time. If you truly are concerned with the direction HL is headed, it's time to speak up.
LHD phone # 1-800-758-1444 or e-mail them at
support@lighthousedepot.com

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196473 01/27/10 10:08 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
To me this is just a continuation of my dissatisfaction of they way Harbour Lights is now doing business. It seems to be breaking all of their old rules through their business unit, Lighthouse Depot. This dissatisfaction started with their ill thought out Jordan Point offer, moving on to LHD discounting items making it unfair to the dealers I like to deal with, now it is on to selling Society Pieces from past years that should not be available nor sold to the general public, all with the added bonus of being discounted. Its pretty clear from their latest offering of Society Pieces that Harbour lights is no longer destroying old pieces that have a set retirement date or where restricted to certain events but are now just selling them as any LE piece. It would not surprise me at all to see the left over Jordan Points in the future offered for sale if Harbour Lights continues to follow these new business practices.
I am not sure of what the future will be for Harbour Lights and for my collecting of their product, but it does not appear real bright at the moment.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196474 01/28/10 12:06 AM
The Lightkeeper Offline
Dear Flacoastie
"While you are a relatively new member to the Forums and collecting,"

I am not a relatively new member to the Forums or to collecting. I have more lighthouse stuff in my house than most people could conceive of having. I was a member of these forums for years under the name of "thelightkeeper" and dropped out a few years ago. I am also one of the founding members of Lighthouse Digest which actually started the Lighthouse Depot. I know Tim and Kathy quite well. Don Devine I do not know, I believe that I met him once. It is his company and he calls the shots.

What I am trying to say here is that what is going on with Harbour Lights and their marketing principles is only leading to a slow death of their product. They are doing nothing at all to protect the collector and the investment that each and every one has made in their product. (which I might add is a very good product). It is so sad to so many collectors and dealers throwing in the towel.

I only wish that this present situation was different.

I do not feel that I need to contact Harbour Lights directly. I am sure that they monitor these forums (at least Tony should be making them aware), if not then shame on them for this is their lifeline to their dedicated collectors and the collectible market.

The Lightkeeper
Mike
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196475 01/28/10 03:15 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Roland - Thank you for your valuable input from a dealer's prespective. You made some very valid points. We should be very happy that you chose to join the Forums and give us your insight into this serious problem that is affecting both dealers and collectors alike.

Mike - While I thought you were had previously been on the Forums, I was not sure of that fact and only had what is published under your posts to go on. I appologize for the mistake. I also want to thank you for your previous input for lighthouses and lighthouse preservation though the Lighthouse Digest.

Now, If you have met Don Devine, and you agree he calls the shots, then he is the man you and others should be addressing with your concerns. You say that Tony should be making Lighthouse Marketing aware of the situation and you have no need to contact HLs directly. The old saying about "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" is exactly what your idea is suggesting. Your suggesting that Tony has the responsibility to make Mr. Devine listen to reason. Whether Lighthouse Marketing monitors these Forums or not is not important. WE, THE COLLECTORS, HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM MR. DEVINE OF HOW WE FEEL! Not Tony, not Mr. Devine reading and monitoring the Forums, but we collectors have this responsibility. If we, the collectors, are content to sit and do nothing except put the responsibility on someone else to address the problem, then, we the collectors, should stop complaining about the direction HLs is taking. We, the collectors, are aiding Lighthouse Marketing in the approach they are taking by not letting our feelings be known to the man that can make a difference.

Rich
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196476 01/28/10 02:41 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
If the parent company wants to compromise the integrity of Harbour Lights by unloading Collector's Society Membership "exclusive" redemption sculptures to the general public then this is a very short-sighted business move which could cause irrepairable damage to their primary business. I would imagine that HL collectors who love "anything lighthouse related" WERE an important part of their customer base.

Post your comments, don't waste .44 cents.
More people are reading and actually "care" here.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196477 01/28/10 07:35 PM
TDSimpson Offline
Wacko
Wacko
While looking over the items for sale on the LHD website I have come to one conclusion. Yes they have some good prices on items that I do not have but need for my collection. However I will NEVER purchase any lighthouse from them. As said in another post I agree this is an attempt to totally take over the market for HL by running the dealers out of business. The day this happens is the day I quit collecting.

Tom

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196478 01/29/10 01:31 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Not that it would make any difference, because it doesn't now that they no longer own the business. But I wonder what the Younger's think of all this? Bill and Nancy would never have done such a thing. They CARED about their Dealers and their Collectors!

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196479 01/30/10 09:32 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
"Damned if you do; Damned if you don't..."

One word, "survival".

Most often heard at the LHD: "What the heck are we going to do with these?"

The CS Membership gift was probably the least valuable through the good years because they were produced in such high volume.

Does anyone remember when the Youngers use to destroy HL's to eliminate the chance they would end up on the open market?

Perhaps the LHD should have offered these extra HL's for free, or next to nothing, to their Dealers as a PR campaign to boost good business relations. The Dealers could have used them as gifts, raffle items, etc to bring in more floor traffic.

Bob

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196480 01/30/10 06:55 PM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Although many explanations above are reasonable explanations for LHD's actions, I think for some of us HL collectors feel they are missing the key issue of how LHD (with HL apparent consent) is possibly disrespecting the trust and integrity of the HL line built up since the line began with their sale actions.

Collectors Society Editions were represented by HL as LIMITED EDITION lighthouses (many not numbered) only available to those who bought a full priced membership. The free Society gift was intended for members only and the Society Exclusive, ordered thru HL and delivered thru a HL dealer at full price, were also intended for members ONLY, not the general public thru a LHD sale. (OCGHL p.446-447)

The In-Store and Regional Event pieces (generally not numbered) were also considered SPECIAL LIMITED EDITIONS for anyone who wanted to buy them thru certain HL designated dealers at full retail price. (OCGHL p.447-450)

I think the general rule has been for many years that HL dealers are NOT to sell for less than retail any HL product that has not been officially RETIRED by HL. So, if all these HL lighthouses being sold by LHD are retired, then.....
I guess they are OK as to the generally accepted standards. But with no updated Product History being available for many years now from HL, how are we to tell w/o calling HL and asking (if they even know at Customer Service??)or checking the HL website if these lights in question have been officially retired. An updated Product History supposedly coming "soon" should give us the LIMITED info--as to number produced and if it was a timed version or not? BUT, Tony seems to have some sort of problem in releasing production numbers. Imagine coin collectors not having numbers produced from the different mints around the world to put in their collectible guidebooks!!

So, in my opinion LHD as the largest HL dealer in the world may or may not be legitimately selling these lights at sale. But, as the supreme retail HL dealer they are not exercising integrity, trust, and RESPECT to the HL collector base by selling at sale prices Collector Society pieces that were originally represented as LIMITED and for Collectors Society members ONLY. In fact, LHD latest Winter 2010 catalog states (p.24) that East Chop, MA
is "an exclusive member gift" and that West Chop is "this year's society exclusive available to members only."

Let's not forget many of us HL and Collector's Society members do not believe in "survival at any cost", especially when it weakens the long history of truthfulness and integrity in the HL line.

OCGHL= The Official Collectors Guide to Harbour Lights by Chidister and Brady

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196481 01/31/10 10:14 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
"You have to keep you customers satisfied." We cannot lose sight of the fact that the assembled masses here are only a small portion of potential buyers in the LHD market. We are/were the faithful that purchased most everything in the HL Line. Things have changed since 2001. Many people don't have the expendible cash to continuously purchase collectibles. Adjustments are being made as well as decisions to stay afloat. Like it or not, everyone will have to live with it. It is our destiny.

Bob

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196482 02/02/10 07:53 AM
S
Sooner Schooner Offline
Wacko
Wacko
S
With apologies to Rod Serling, presented for your consideration... Please keep in mind the phrase: "Don't shoot the messenger"!

I know of a recent purchase of a retired 2002 Christmas piece limited to 7,500, on sale in the current catalog. Its' numbered in the mid-3,400's.

Since the question of stock and space has been raised, among other points, I thought it was worth mentioning this little nugget of information.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196483 02/02/10 10:50 PM
The Cape Cod Store.com Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That number doesn't necessarily mean anything, especially for anything that was purchased by Lighthouse Marketing from the Youngers. After the first couple of batches are sent out, the others are picked at random and sent out. Depends on which box is removed from the warehouse.

Roland Babineau
The only true Harbour Lights dealer left in the world and the ONLY retailer in the world authorized to sell Harry Hine's lighthouse collectible line!
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/harbor_lights.html
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196484 02/04/10 08:19 AM
S
Sooner Schooner Offline
Wacko
Wacko
S
Thank you, I did not know if it was done in order or random. According to their website, it appears that piece is now sold out.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196485 02/09/10 02:12 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Just to keep this thread "fresh" with all of the LHD happenings....

As of 2-9-2010, all discounted "retired" HLs have been discounted an additional 5% off.

Here's a taste:
- Conanicut, RI 2006 Christmas is ONLY $17.94
- "Barfing Rocks" is now just $55.94
- Taney Matched Set is a mere $36.94 (Makes you sick doesn't it?

And don't forget the Society Membership pieces, now going for "pocket change"....

Whats next?.... "Free give-a-ways" tired

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196486 02/11/10 07:40 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Oh, Christopher...
I would rather not keep this topic "fresh"! I am new to Harbour Lights and the Forum. I would like to hear more about the history of lighthouses and HL. I like the detail of the lights and if they take me back in time to yesteryear, then that's great! The "Times" are always changing. Like the tide, sometimes you hit the sand bars and at others you float right on over them. You must navigate the waters to the best of your ability. The business of HL is of no concern to me. If they have what I would like to buy at a price I am willing to pay, then I am a customer. The key is to focus on the customer!

Angels Gate
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196487 03/30/10 02:39 PM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
What is the "Taney matched set"? Is Taney as abbr. or new? I do not know what it's HL# is or anything. Could someone help me know? Thank you.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196488 03/30/10 03:26 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
The Taney is a Coast Guard Cutter that is part of the Anchor Bay Line made by Harbour Lights. They have made 23 ships in this line. Some of them are CG Cutters, some are lightships and some are civilian trawlers and fishing boats. The Taney is the CG Cutter that was at Pearl Harbor during the attack in 1941 and she is one of the several ships that was able to get underway and fire back. Harbour Lights made 2 models of the Taney, a WWII grey version and the modern white version with the CG racing stripes on the side. This is what is referred to as a matched set with matching serial numbers. The Taney was decomissioned and is now on display in the Baltimore Harbor.

Rich
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196489 03/31/10 12:52 AM
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Original Taney matched set price = $ 190

Matched set serial numbers # 1-600 available

Great answer Rich!

lgthouselady--Don't forget to check the Harbour Lights web site and the Lighthouse Depot catalog and web site. I refer to them quite often.

Max

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196490 04/16/10 05:00 PM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
Thank you for your explanations about the Taney. I came to collecting HLs so late that because of many factors I chose the lighthouses themselves. That's why I didn't know about the Taney. I wish I was able to collect some of everything. Unfortunately that's not the case. I have no more room in my house. I didn't even know there was an "original 17" until 2005. I would like to keep my Christmas set going, and I would like to eventually be able to find a 102 or 102R for a reasonable price, and also a #111 Coquile River at a reasonable price. I have been to that one so many times. I won't buy from LD at discounted prices. Thank you.

Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196491 04/16/10 10:52 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I would keep a close eye on Ebay for your HL102 and HL111. Occasionally they appear and have been selling at very reasonable prices. HL102R sells in the range of $150-$300 and HL111 runs $250 to $400 depending on serial number, condition and who's watching and wanting the piece. HL102 is a different story and can run anywhere from $1400 on up. But those prices are CHEAP comp[ared to my $600 for HL102R and $2100 for HL111 that I paid in the mid 90's.

Rich
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196492 05/20/10 06:09 PM
T
Tom Offline
Wacko
Wacko
T
I went by Lighthouse Gallery and Gifts in Nags Head, NC today and they appear to have closed and gone out of business.Very sad to see another shop that carried Harbour Lights closed. I remember doing the good times that Bill Younger would do a signing every Memorial Day some years back.

Tom
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196493 05/21/10 10:41 AM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
So sorry to hear that! I bought my first LE there. I wonder what will happen to that beautiful building?

Laura
Re: LHD HL Blockbuster Sale #196494 05/21/10 01:24 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I purchased my first 5 Harbour Lights LE's from the Roberts when they owned the store..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,040 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users